Is Western Michigan University "competitive"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zailynn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the Psy.D or PhD program at Western Michigan University considered "competitive".

Is it a good school for these programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Zailynn said:
Is the Psy.D or PhD program at Western Michigan University considered "competitive".

I don't know if it is good or bad, but in terms of competitive, they are required to release their admissions stats. Once you have those (they are probably posted on thier website) you can compare them to other schools.

Zailynn said:

I went to Central Michigan University, and I wasn't aware that WMU had a PsyD, I am pretty sure it's a PhD which is very much behavior-based, in terms of its "competitiveness" I think most University based PhD programs in clinical psychology are competeitive, that being said it is probably on the lower end of the spectrum.

Good is a relative term. The top places might be terrible fits for you (many were for me) if they don't fit your interests, while a good/OK place might end up being the best place for you if someone there is doing what you want to do. Reputation isn't nearly as important as the match between you and the mentor, at least IMO.