--

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soapbubbles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Best to check directly with the program. You wouldn't want to do anything silly now.

Reactions: 1 users
It really depends on the school so I would call.

Tufts specifically mentioned that you must complete all programs prior to matriculation, while NYU doesn't care once they accept you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you indicate on your application that you would complete the program by May 2017? If so, that's the applicant they believed they were interviewing. You will most likely need to finish.

Schools run statistics on how many students matriculate with what background. Lots of schools like to boast how their incoming students are coming in with Masters and PhDs and that it is VERY competitive to get in. That's the nature of it. Chances are, they expect you to finish.

But call them and ask. If they say, "Hey pal, drop your classes, forget the degree, chill until August!" Well then that's great! You have to call and find out.

Best of luck!

Something that I've heard come up quite a bit may play into your decision. If you're considering specializing, having that masters could give you a leg up. It's probably not much, but anything helps if that's your goal.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I didn't mean to give false advice. It's just something I've heard a couple of members from admissions committees say is a plus. Basically, a beefier resume with a DDS/DMD and a MS/MA versus an applicant with just a DDS/DMD. But, yeah, you're probably right about specialties looking at your academic history in more detail and a masters ultimately not making or breaking your acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
I would aim to complete the MA either way. You've already invested some time in the MA, might as well complete it. You would be surprised. some residency directors commended me on having a masters degree and ended up getting into a specialty program on full ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.