is where you go for residency most likely the place you work at afterwards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aaronrodgers

Quarterback, Super Bowl MVP, Future Hall of Famer
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is where you go for residency most likely the place you work at afterward? Is it bad if you want to move somewhere else after residency and would that be looked down upon by your attending if you need a LoR from them to go to another location?

Members don't see this ad.

It might be easier to get a job there, but you're definitely not tied to the hospital where you were a resident. If I can ask my current professors for LoRs for transfer applications, a grown adult can ask their boss for a letter to find a new job.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you mean location or the actual program? For the latter, I'd wager that's a no for most people. To the former, you go where you can find a job you like in a location you like (or where the balance between the two is tolerable). Nothing says you have to stay in the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is where you go for residency most likely the place you work at afterward? Is it bad if you want to move somewhere else after residency and would that be looked down upon by your attending if you need a LoR from them to go to another location?
Most physicians tend to stay in the same geographical region as where they trained because they start setting down roots, but the vast majority don't end up working at the exact hospitals they trained. It's easy enough to prove: academic hospitals make up a tiny minority of US hospitals (<10%), yet all physicians trained at hospitals where they are residents.

I read in one medical journal that most clinicians practice within 20 miles of where they did their residency.

No matter how hard I search for that article, I can't find it!:mad:

Most physicians tend to stay in the same geographical region as where they trained because they start setting down roots, but the vast majority don't end up working at the exact hospitals they trained. It's easy enough to prove: academic hospitals make up a tiny minority of US hospitals (<10%), yet all physicians trained at hospitals where they are residents.

I read in one medical journal that most clinicians practice within 20 miles of where they did their residency.

20 miles I can't find. The state-level retention data is readily available from the AAMC though. Bold is my addition (for the pre-meds).

See section 4: Retention

• In 2014, 38.7 percent of physicians were active in the same state where they received their UME (undergraduate medical education=medical school). Six of the top 10 states in terms of UME retention were in the South (see Map 4.1, Figure 4.1, and Table 4.1
• In 2014, 46.8 percent of the physicians who graduated from a public school were active in the same state from which they completed UME (see Figure 4.2 and Table 4.2).
• In 2014, 47.2 percent of physicians were active in the state where they completed their most recent GME (graduate medical education=residency). Six of the top 10 states with the highest GME retention rates were in the West (see Map 4.3, Figure 4.3, and Table 4.3).
• Retention rates were highest among physicians who completed both UME and GME in the same state. Two-thirds (66.8 percent) of the physicians who completed UME and GME in the same state remained in the state to practice. In terms of overall retention (i.e., both UME and GME were completed in the same state), eight of the top 10 states were in the South and West (see Figure 4.4 and Table 4.4).

Reactions: 1 user

As graciously noted by @Goro above: might you be referring to some type of final residency survey (see below)?

In that 2015 survey, the authors mentioned "many residents have a specific location in mind for their first practice - often a location 50 miles from where they trained, where they grew up, or where their spouse or significant other grew up."

https://www.merritthawkins.com/uplo...s/surveys/2014_merritthawkins_fymr_survey.pdf

Reactions: 1 users
My gawd! That's the one!!! I don't know how 50 miles mutated into 20, though.

As graciously noted by @Goro above: might you be referring to some type of final residency survey (see below)?

In that 2015 survey, the authors mentioned "many residents have a specific location in mind for their first practice - often a location 50 miles from where they trained, where they grew up, or where their spouse or significant other grew up."

https://www.merritthawkins.com/uplo...s/surveys/2014_merritthawkins_fymr_survey.pdf

Reactions: 1 user