Is withdrawing an acceptance the most awkward thing ever?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madb0x

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is withdrawing an acceptance the most awkward thing ever?! Or is it just me lol

I want to sound so thankful for the opportunity but I feel like I'm going to sound SO WEIRD ugh.

Any tips or funny stories?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just do it. No need for funny stories. It happens each and everyday! Med schools expect people to withdraw acceptances when they get another offer. Why are you withdrawing?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Well you have those lovely rejection letters as a reference.

"I regret to inform you that my position in your class has been denied. It has been a competitive cycle with approximately 4 schools vying for my deposit of 1. My decision is by no means an indication of your preparedness as a medical school. I wish you the best luck in finding a medical student in the future."

Nah, actual advice: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/letter-to-withdrawal-an-acceptance.262753/

Reactions: 30 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's only awkward if you make it so...just be professional and it'll be fine.

Dude, the office assistant reading your withdrawal letter will not be heartbroken that you aren't attending. Just say "Please withdraw my application and acceptance to XXX SOM. Thanks for your time, Madb0x. AAMC #XXXXXXX"

Reactions: 2 users
Just get straight to the point. Be respectful and don't beat around the bush. That's the approach I took.

Reactions: 1 users
My experience withdrawing from LECOM-B involved them sending me an acceptance letter, me sending a decline letter, and them replying with a blank email and a copy of a rejection letter.

11247930575_4aa7a960ac_c.jpg

Reactions: 31 users
"I quit."

"Oh yeah, you're fired!"

Reactions: 4 users
HAHA okay thanks guys! I got it handled. I'm just an awkward person but it went okay :)

My experience withdrawing from LECOM-B involved them sending me an acceptance letter, me sending a decline letter, and them replying with a blank email and a copy of a rejection letter.

11247930575_4aa7a960ac_c.jpg
Haha I thought that was just me! I sent them an email stating I was withdrawing my acceptance and thank you for the opportunity, etc. Less than an hour later, I received an email stating because my deposit was not submitted by the deadline (the deadline hadn't even passed), LECOM must unfortunately release my seat.

Yeah okay, LECOM. Try to feel better about me turning you down.:lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
first world problems

It truly is a wonderful problem to have! And as a reapplicant, I am especially thankful for my position!!

So sorry you have to go through that.

It's not awkward at all. Every school has dozens of students who withdraw every year, and they won't really pay much attention to it when you do. They'll just release your seat and move on. It's only awkward if you write something really weird, rude, etc. in your email. It shouldn't be awkward at all if you just say something along the lines of: "Thank you so much for your offer of admission. I really enjoyed visiting your school for my interview. I have decided to pursue a medical education at a different university. Thank you for all of your time and assistance in this process."

Try calling them for a refund of your deposit. That's the fun part. Kind of like asking for an engagement ring back.

Try calling them for a refund of your deposit. That's the fun part. Kind of like asking for an engagement ring back.

I guess other than to just screw with a person, I never understood why anyone would want to keep this reminder of their failed relationship. Hock it?

Anyway, I can only hope to be so lucky when I apply in 2018.

Haha I thought that was just me! I sent them an email stating I was withdrawing my acceptance and thank you for the opportunity, etc. Less than an hour later, I received an email stating because my deposit was not submitted by the deadline (the deadline hadn't even passed), LECOM must unfortunately release my seat.

Yeah okay, LECOM. Try to feel better about me turning you down.:lol:

"Here at LECOM our acceptance to matriculant yield is 100%"

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not applying this cycle, but even I thought this post was a bit insensitive to those who didn't get in...

I'm not applying this cycle, but even I thought this post was a bit insensitive to those who didn't get in...
"Yawn" at your attempt to add hostility to the thread. The only insensitive threads are the "should I reapply" threads.

Reactions: 1 users