Is working a good excuse for not being a "fulltime student"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

washbasin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How bad does it look to have < 14 semester units?

I'm freaking out!

Thanks in advance, guys.

Members don't see this ad.

having a fulltime job to pay for your tuition or kids?

Whatever you do, don't lie about it.

I'm only in my 2nd semester but last semester I only took 9 hours (3 classes) and this semester am in 12 hours (4 classes). I have my next semesters planned out till Fall 2010 and as long as I don't decide to change it any I will on average only be in 12-14 hours a semester. I don't really see how that can hurt anything. Not sure though. I though average was 12-14 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I have my bachelor's already.
After graduating, I considered pharmacy and I've been working part time and fulfilling some prereqs. During this time, I have not been a "fulltime student."

After graduating, I considered pharmacy and I've been working part time and fulfilling some prereqs. During this time, I have not been a "fulltime student."
Sounds good enough to me.

At my school, fulltime is considered 12 credits.

Thanks, OKGIRL.

Anyone else?

I'm in the same boat. Revieved my B.A. got married, had a baby...and am now going part-time...REALLY part time. (2 classes a semester)

I'm in the same boat. Revieved my B.A. got married, had a baby...and am now going part-time...REALLY part time. (2 classes a semester)

Ditto here. . . except for the baby thing :) So far I'm a big fan of the Nuva Ring! :laugh:

I worked full time for two years after I graduated from college before I realized I wanted to go to pharmacy school. So I was out of school for two years and was accepted.

Although having a certain amount of units every semester/quarter is a decent indicator of how well you can handle a heavy courseload, I don't think it should be a problem for you, considering you already have your bachelor's degree. Tons of people take a few classes here and there, just for prereqs/recreational purposes, so I think that if they want to see how well you'll handle a heavy courseload, they'll just look at the transcript from the place you received your bachelor's.

when schools want to see 14+ units is it ok if some courses are taken on a pass/no pass basis or do they want to see all grades to see how well you do?

I don't think that matters at all. I am doing the same thing as you, and it hasn't seemed to hurt my application. The only school that asked about it was UOP, but I got in! So they must have been okay with it. :) Good luck!

I agree with happycow. If you were able to handle a full course load (~15 units) during your bachelors I think pharm schools would realize you are capable of handling yourself.

My university (and I think all schools) set full-time student status at 12 credits. However, the normal, recommended amount is around 15. Of course, not everyone is going to take that number for every semester, but it does show you can handle academic rigor.

when schools want to see 14+ units is it ok if some courses are taken on a pass/no pass basis or do they want to see all grades to see how well you do?

Taking some pass/fail classes is probably okay, but again doing it this way doesn't show your ability for academic rigor. Getting accepted is competitive so you want to give them every reason to accept you, and not the other way around. If you want a real answer, you should contact the schools you are thinking about.

Members don't see this ad :)
just chill out. do what you need to do and don't worry about what pharmacy schools will think about you. dont worry about having any certain number of units. do your classes and enjoy it. get out of the "excuse" and "what will they think of me" mindset

Since you already have a bachelors degree I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a bachelors and work full time. I ony take 8 hrs a semester. I am not worried about it. I have 2 car payments and a good size rent to pay for...so I'm sure they can understand.

I actually discussed this with a representative at the school I am applying to. I have a baby and work full time to support him and to pay my tuition. Right now with 8 credits it is tough and I don't think I coudl do anymore. There are not enough hours in a day.

Her response was that they are looking to see what you can handle, and that working full time and having a family while going part time is pretty much equivalent to going full time and not having those responsibilities.

What she did say that you may want to consider is that you will be asked "if you couldn't go full time during pre-reqs then how will you handle the full time course load while in pharm school?"

In my case I have to continue working full time until I begin pharmacy school, at which time I will begin relying on student loans for living expenses. There will be a clear transition from one added responsibility (working full time) to another (full time classes).

When I returned to school after taking a five year party break I took between 9-11 credit hours at the university. I couldn't really take anymore courses because I had all of my gen eds taken care of and the biochemistry degree I decided to pursue had a set sequence of courses and prereqs that needed to be completed before moving on to the next set of courses. However, in my second year I had to go hardcore with the chemistry courses, (3-4 per semester) giving me about 14-16 credits per semester. My last semester was pretty hardcore too, but was only 12 credit hrs. After graduating I took my two remaining prereqs last semester at a CC, which was only 7 credit hrs.

The point was that I think that you just have to demonstrate that you can handle a full load for at least a year and get good grades. I think I also got bonus points for holding down my FT job while taking all of these courses. I didn't mention anywhere in my personal statement or interview that I was married too. I might have mentioned it if necessary because QT also consumes personal time and is a requirement in a healthy relationship. It also added to the responsibilities that I had to juggle. I also mentioned that when school starts that I will be dropping my FT job and only keeping my PT job at the pharmacy for about 10-15 hrs/wk because I will be relying on financial aid.

just chill out. do what you need to do and don't worry about what pharmacy schools will think about you. dont worry about having any certain number of units. do your classes and enjoy it. get out of the "excuse" and "what will they think of me" mindset

Oh yeah.....Wu Tang Clan ain't nuttin' to funk wit!

I worked full time during the day and went to school full time at night, weekends, and online(14 credits~4 classes). I have to help my parents paying the rent and pay my car payment and other bills also.

Haaaaaahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!! I miss Chapelle's Show!!!!!

haha, yea...glad to see people know whats up. its a classic song off a classic album (enter the 36 chambers)...

but ya, just work and take how many classes you can and be honest to the admissions people.

I think if you weren't working or only working a few hours a week it would look bad on your application to be less than full time. But seeing as you already have a bachelor's and are probably slightly older (i.e. have more responsibilities) it probably won't matter as much. One things schools like to see is how you manage your time. So a student that only takes 12 credits a semester and gets As and Bs is probably going to be looked on less favorably then a student taking 15 credits while working that gets Bs and Cs.

Just remember that most PharmD programs are much more intense than 12 credits/semester. I'm in my 4th semester at ISU and I'm taking 16 credits, which is the smallest load I've had so far. Last spring I took 19 credits.

haha, yea...glad to see people know whats up. its a classic song off a classic album (enter the 36 chambers)...

but ya, just work and take how many classes you can and be honest to the admissions people.

The Rza, the Gza, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Inspecta deck, Raekwon the Chef, U-God, Ghost Face Killah, and ...... M E T H O D Man. Hell yeah, from the slums of Shaolin sun. My favorite ****e in HS.

I think if you weren't working or only working a few hours a week it would look bad on your application to be less than full time. But seeing as you already have a bachelor's and are probably slightly older (i.e. have more responsibilities) it probably won't matter as much. One things schools like to see is how you manage your time. So a student that only takes 12 credits a semester and gets As and Bs is probably going to be looked on less favorably then a student taking 15 credits while working that gets Bs and Cs.

Just remember that most PharmD programs are much more intense than 12 credits/semester. I'm in my 4th semester at ISU and I'm taking 16 credits, which is the smallest load I've had so far. Last spring I took 19 credits.
Potatoes.....mmmm

Potatoes.....mmmm

Damn straight! My grandma's cousin (not sure what to call him) still farms potatoes. I get all the free russetts I want. Yum!

what about pharmacy courses in comparison to undergraduate courses? I would assume pharmacy courses would be harder than undergraduate courses, so taking 16 credits in pharm school would equate to like 19+ credits in undergrad?

dude.. you are stressing over nothing. there are bigger things in life than not taking 14 units because of work. and i think that anyone who uses that against you has some priority issues.

I am working and have been a full time student through all my years of college. I just want to say - there is a giant difference when you are taking freshmen sophmore classes like gen chem or organic chem vs. when you are taking senior level classes like pchem or biochem lab. Those classes take a lot more time and effort - so 19 units of those classes and 19 units of sophmore classes are night and day. I am taking 12 right now/doing research and working and feel extremely overwhelmed.

The Rza, the Gza, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Inspecta deck, Raekwon the Chef, U-God, Ghost Face Killah, and ...... M E T H O D Man. Hell yeah, from the slums of Shaolin sun. My favorite ****e in HS.

haha yes! my favorite in high school, college, and now....from the slums of shaolin, the wu tang clan strikes again...