Is writing IRB's a waste of time? Thinking i'm being taken advantage of

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BonezBonezBonez

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year med student working with a new PI in ortho, hoped to initially jump on 2-3 projects get them published in the next year and call it a day, maybe even an LOR if the universe decided to bless me any further. But this guy has me working exclusively on protocols! At first it was fine because i write well and quickly but I have not been able to work on anything with a planned publication timeline since we started working together (4 months ago). I legitimately think i'm being used as an IRB-protocol writing slave just so that this guy can get more established at our institution.

Ultimately, my question is: is any of this worth even putting on ERAS? Two of the protocols have been approved by our IRB, there are 2 more he's got me working on now so i guess this is "research experience" but should i just ditch and try to find another research mentor or stick it out? I'm not familiar with any of this, but it definitely just feels like i'm being taken advantage of since he's not publishing anything at this time

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can put this as a research experience on ERAS. It's certainly a valuable skill, but not on the level of a publicaiton.

Have you directly discussed that your goal from doing research is to get publications to improve your residency application? If you have and he has not given you anything that is moving you close to that goal in 4 months, then I think it's time to cut bait.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes you can put this as a research experience on ERAS. It's certainly a valuable skill, but not on the level of a publicaiton.

Have you directly discussed that your goal from doing research is to get publications to improve your residency application? If you have and he has not given you anything that is moving you close to that goal in 4 months, then I think it's time to cut bait.
I've made this very clear and reaffirmed it a few times now but no change. I'm glad this has not gone wasted though but really hoped something more fruitful would come out of it, i appreciate the advice

Are you involved in the studies of the protocols you are writing? If not, it's not useful for you to write it.
Right? I’m a little bit confused as to why he would have you write protocols for studies that you’re not involved with. That said, if nothing else I would angle hard to at least get named as an author for the studies you’re writing protocols for.