Is Yale as fantastic as they sound?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desertscholar

Math Rocks
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So are there any of you attending Yale or going to? My question is: is Yale as phenomenal as it sounds from their web site or did they just hire a super marketing genius to package them.
Being a self-motivated student, the no grades concept sounds wonderful. It seems that the focus would be turned to concentrate on the learing and exploring of information. Also I like the idea of the required thesis. Being an older student the stated philosophy of treating students as people who are mature and dedicated it appealing.
What have your experiences and perceptioins been while attending Yale?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I love it.
LOVE IT...

UMgrad- do you/did you go to yale??? I'd love to hear about your experience...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I want to hear more too! anyone??!

Last edited:
vkrn-- what were your stats ??

when i interviewed there, i found out that in each class 33 of 100 are from Yale and Harvard, the majority from the Ivies, and the financial lady told us that 30% of students there do not need any loans b/c their parents pay the whole thing... kinda gives you an idea of the environment there. If that is what you like, you will love it there.

Last edited:
thanks for the response.
is there a pass/fail system at yale???

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, I regard the Yale System so highly that I applied there ED this year. Not discussed in detail yet here was the thesis requirement. I'm really interested in doing research in med school, but not in the MD/PhD track. From my interview, I was given the impression that Yale tries hard to get their students involved in research that really interests them, add that to their fifth year option and this became the top school on my list.