ISAC Anatomy Training Program at WU-COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Don't Do ISAC at COMP

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fraught with problems and red-tape, the special program at WU-COMP (designed to train 'facilitators' in anatomy) is not as good as it may seem.

More to follow.

Members don't see this ad.

As a second year at COMP I can tell you that besides giving up your LAST summer (which i wouldn't recommend), you will also become detested by the majority of your classmates (at least we hated and still find most of the ISAC's annoying). The arrogance of the type of person selected is not worth the two years of detest that you will have follow you around. And no, I opted not to do it...one of the best decisions I made.

For all who may consider this program, realize that you WILL NOT have an enjoyable experience.

There are NO grade guarantees, despite what the professors may assure you. They can (and most likely will) retract any and all promises made regarding 'bonus points' or benefits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, are you a student there? You seem to have very strong feelings about this, and I am interested in 1st hand information.
Please e-mail me...and we can chat about this...

Mr/Ms ISAC,

I'm interested in knowing more about this too. My ears are open. Please inform us some more...including your opinion on the 3 week intro program.
Thanks mucho.

Let me tell you what has happened to myself AND many of my fellow ISAC 'facilitators' (yes, I am a current COMP student who was in the ISAC program):

We had to give up our summer before med school started, and went to school from 9 to 4, mon to fri, from the beginning of june until August---with NO time off between ISAC training and med school orientation.

To add insult to injury, it now looks like they are going to reneg on their original agreement---we will not be gaining any grade benefit for our extensive time given to the program. The agreement was that for all of our time and effort given to helping our classmates (even time spent out of normal school hours), we would receive additional points---up to 5 to 10% points.

Please, do NOT believe the 'agreeement' that they float out to you if you're considering becoming an ISAC facilitator. They can (and most likely will) change the rules mid-stream....

==============

Also please know that I *like* Western U / COMP----really. I think the school is good, the teachers are good, and I'm glad that I came here. I'm getting a good education, I will get good training during rotations, and I feel good about my future as a physician.

Just avoid the ISAC program. Take anatomy with your peers, get your summer off, and you will probably be much happier.

[This message has been edited by Don't Do ISAC at COMP (edited 01-31-2001).]

wow...i didn't realize so many students were against the program. this is the same program that allows one to get a head start and then TA anatomy once school starts in august right? either way..glad i will be traveling this summer. i hope i made the right decision choosing COMP over TUCOM. i'll make the best of it anyway. see all the MSI's in august!!!
biggrin.gif

pritbir

Gee... looks like I'll be getting a call from the ISAC people this summer, considering I've some experience in anatomy. I'm thinking it will save me some time over the long haul and I dont mind being regarded as arrogant or annoying, I am a par exelance in both categories.

Thanks for the input about the grades though. Tough decision, but I'm leaning towards work during the summer. ISAC sounds like a good idea though. COMP class of 2005, yeah baby!!

anticipating COMP in August,

adismo

Originally posted by ChrisBanta:
Again, those incoming students to COMP...Congratulations! Our school has some of the best staff and faculty in the entire medical school arena, especially in the anatomy department. And it is certain you will leave the school with a solid foundation foe your careers.
So, again, incoming COMP students...welcome to our family!!! And you did make the right choice!!!

thanks for the congrats Chris. i can't wait to start in august...never felt so excited about school before.
biggrin.gif

pritbir

Thanks for the info Chris. I hear you guys are having a post anatomy party now that its all done. You must be glad it's over with. I hope the admin really cuts down on our classtime hours to give us more study time. Keep on working them. I think you guys are setting it up for us pretty well. I hear your student gov't is working on having some of the profs lecture on the relevant material to prepare us for the boards and less of the nonsense. Thanks again.

I thought the ISAC program has good intentions. You didn't have to worry about waiting for a professor all the time. And most of the facilitators were willing to help out.

My only gripe was that it naturally creates a clique in the beginning of the school year within the class. You were either one of the ISACs and knew other ISACs, or you were a non-ISACs and didn't know anyone. But everything's cool now... we all get along in our class for the most part.

-Eric