Isn't the earlier the better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qalbinoor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I will be a junior this coming academic year, and I haven't started studying for the MCAT yet. During Fall and Spring I am taking some hard classes so I am not sure If I can study the MCAT during the school year. So is it possible to take the MCAT on July 2010, and still be competitive applicant and start Med school Fall 2011. I saw the MSAR book and some medical schools say, the last MCAT they accept is September- Isn't the earlier the better? When is the latest to apply and still have a good chance of getting in - (having a good MCAT and GPA)? I just one to take the MCAT onetime and be done with it. Any help is appreciated.:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I will be a junior this coming academic year, and I haven't started studying for the MCAT yet. During Fall and Spring I am taking some hard classes so I am not sure If I can study the MCAT during the school year. So is it possible to take the MCAT on July 2010, and still be competitive applicant and start Med school Fall 2011. I saw the MSAR book and some medical schools say, the last MCAT they accept is September- Isn't the earlier the better? When is the latest to apply and still have a good chance of getting in - (having a good MCAT and GPA)? I just one to take the MCAT onetime and be done with it. Any help is appreciated.:love:

Best time to apply is usually July, latest is probably August. After that, yes you can apply but you are tardy.

Members don't see this ad :)
A September MCAT is kinda late in the game I guess, but after talking with people I learned as long as you have everything else in your application complete and it's solid, your chances don't decrease that drastically. Most schools have cutoffs in early Nov. and you'd get your score back in mid October, so you should be fine as long as it's a solid score.

A September MCAT is kinda late in the game I guess, but after talking with people I learned as long as you have everything else in your application complete and it's solid, your chances don't decrease that drastically. Most schools have cutoffs in early Nov. and you'd get your score back in mid October, so you should be fine as long as it's a solid score.

Rolling admissions mean first come first served. It's better to apply as soon as possible to have the best opportunity. Applying near the deadline may really hurt an applicant's chances even if well qualified.

What about taking it late July or early August? I just don't want to wait for a whole year to reapply. Thanks for your help.