1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Isn't there a premed forum?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by rxfudd, Apr 27, 2004.

1. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What's with all of these threads titled X University vs. Y University, full ride vs. prestige, questions about waitlists, etc? Not to discourage questions from applicants, but it seems like all of a sudden, this went from a med to premed forum. Aren't they giving good advice in the premed forum?

In the last couple weeks alone:

Full ride or Ivy Loans? Advice please.
    question about waitlist at RWJ
    Rush and Jefferson
    Wake Forest vs. ECU
    UWash vs. Drew/UCLA
    Available MCAT Prep Courses
    Med Student's Opinion on SLU, Mizzou, and Georgetown - help for a final decision!
    Baylor vs Methodist Hospital
    Duke Vs. UMDNJ-RWJ
    USC vs Albert Einstein?
    RWJ vs. Georgetown
    Michigan versus Columbia
    Pitt or Sinai
    What would you choose UCD,UCI or USC?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EM Junkie

EM Junkie SDN Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

I agree, with all but one of those threads.

Baylor vs. Methodist Hospital refers to the stuggle between Baylor University and their (former) primary teaching institution. I think this has relevance to current medical students, especially MS2's at Baylor who will be entering their third year soon. The appeal of this thread also extends to incoming students and residents.

As far as the rest of the threads you listed, I couldn't agree more. However, have you looked at some of the advice those crazy pre-meds have been giving each other?? Most of them don't even know what they're talking about. Perhaps the pre-meds who want real answers think we are the best place to get it. I tend to think they are right.

Crazy pre-meds, it's hard to believe we were like them just 1, 2, 3, 4 years ago!

-Scott, MS2

4. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I guess this needs to be brought to the attention of the forum mod..

5. SaltySqueegee

SaltySqueegee El Rey de Salsa
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Hmmm... or maybe the pre-med forum is not frequented enough by more experienced allopath types. Just a suggestion. From past experience, I know that I get a much better and more accurate response from the Allopathic Forum for my previous premed type questions.

Just an observation. Doesn't seem like a distinct line, more like a gradation of premed to medstudent to resident. Maybe the concept of a larger more inclusive forum should be brought to the attention of the mods?

6. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Weird, they used to be so on top of things...

7. skiz knot

skiz knot Legendary Dr. X
    10+ Year Member

I think these types of threads are being posted here because they want advice from people who have more knowledge about the subjects. All the people in the pre med forum give advice from who knows where!

8. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    why would you post those threads in the premed forum if by definition (being premed) they're not at those schools yet! I'm sure the people of this great Allo forum are much wiser in terms of what to expect at a given school. I dont see a problem with it.

9. acab

acab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

As the op of one of the "premed" threads mentioned above, I want to make clear that I received great advice from people who are/were in med school, which was my initial intention. Having gone through the process, an allo poster is more informed than the average premed. I have benefited from all the advice many students had to offer in this forum.

In addition, I constantly see threads that I deem irrelevant or stupid in the preallo forum, but it doesn't bother me that people post them. I just don't read them. I'm sure that any allo op would be quite welcome in preallo.

10. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

I leave threads here that say "school x vs school y" because the people are looking for current students at school x and school y and want their advice. Those of us in medical school don't frequent the pre-allo forum and these people are just looking for more accurate advice than what they'd get if they asked people who don't even attend that school.

I don't see anything wrong with these threads and have never recieved a complaint about them until this thread.

11. Conquistador

Conquistador Member
    7+ Year Member

hmm... you could ignore these posts...

12. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

You realize that if you let premeds post in allo instead of preallo that they will basically overrun this place. There are very few instances in which a premed can advise a premed better than a current med student can. So it would be best if mods moved those threads over to preallo, and let allos answer them over on that turf.

Because seriously, it might seem like a trickle now, but if premeds get wind that they can just as easily post in allo and get answers, they will come in droves. Better to stem the flood at the onset, for your sake.

13. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

I disagree. This has happened every year as the pre-allo's are choosing what school they will go to and they have yet to overtake the forum. I keep a watchful eye. ;)

14. nutmegs

nutmegs ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah, but you're forgetting about other pre-med kinds of questions- such as those involving AMCAS, LORs, scheduling, volunteer exp, etc. THOSE are premed questions. To me, questions about schools ARE allopathic questions- they aren't about premed, they're about the real thing even if they're written by med students to-be.

15. SpiritiualDuck

SpiritiualDuck Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's right. The questions that you are complaining about do belong in this forum. Premed questions are premed questions like should I take genetics. But questions about Tufts clinical or financial aid package belongs here. So, get over yourself. So, we thank all of you wonder, superior, medical students for gracing us with your fine answers...note the sarcasm.

16. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

If allos want to answer, theyll scour the pre-allo and answer. I notice that all the opponents to keeping pre-allo in pre-allo (including the coward that dinged me for like 5 karma points) are premeds. Lets see if your opinion changes next year.

If allos want to answer questions, they can do it in preallo. Several med students already do this. Let med students have their own forum free from annoying preallos.

I think there are some premed questions that are better answered in allo, but these x vs y threads are unlikely to be better answered in allo than in preallo anyways.

17. nutmegs

nutmegs ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

speaking of getting over yourself... get used to it :D

18. nutmegs

nutmegs ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

actually... I don't mind answering in here, but I am never gonna visit pre-allo. so that's at least one "med student" vote for keeping the questions here.

19. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

ah well, thats your choice. im not up for a ban or anything, because there ARE some questions better asked in allo than preallo. I just dont feel that a lot of the x vs y, EC questions, etc are better answered in allo, and might just be annoying

20. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

Oh, just fyi, Baylor University is in no way affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine.

21. EM Junkie

EM Junkie SDN Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Sorry, I knew that. Bad me for not proofreading. What is funny is Baylor College of Dentistry is part of the Texas A&M University System. Gig 'Em Aggies!

-Scott, MS2

22. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

Yeah, way too much movement. Like how UTSW is where Baylor University SOM used to be, Baylor COM moves to Houston and UTSW starts in Dallas.

Im surprised Austin doesnt have an academic medical center, then again, I guess SA is pretty close.

23. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Like I said, I'm not trying to discourage questions and I'm not really complaining about the threads (and there's certainly nothing for me to "get over"). Really, I was thinking more along the lines of Gleevec. When you get right down to it, the best person to ask about ANYTHING related to med school is a med student - even regarding the more "premed" type of questions (recs, LORs, classes) - and that if people saw that you could do that type of thing in here that it would encourage everyone applying to come in here and ask all sorts of questions. But if this historically happens every year, that's a different story.

24. SaltySqueegee

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    What sad times have we fallen upon when naysayers can run about telling innocent old ladies NI!!! whenever they do please...

Python, Grail

To all of you... ... ... NI!!!

25. SaltySqueegee

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    But seriously folks, this conversation is kinda like the childish, "he's on my side of the car argument"... you all know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

26. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure a few of you might. But, according the logic of this thread, only medical students should be posting here. Premed students should ask premed students about which medical school would meet their need based on variables they have no clue about. Medical college X vs. Y is not premed. Organic chem, bio, letters, advisors, shadowing, interviews, hmm, all premed.

If this is your logic, then medical students shouldn't be posting in any of the residency forums. Those forums should be for residents. Am I wrong in following your logic? Yet, when I look at the residency forums, I find medical students asking about what other people think about this residency vs. that residency. Lets become elitist and stop bothering those residents with what should be pre-residency questions that belong here in the allo forum.

This thread was clearly predicated on stupidity.

27. SaltySqueegee

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I agree with you post, however IMHO it was pretty dumb to start a thread about the med student residency thing... ... ehh hemmmm....

28. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You're obviously still missing my point. There is a huge proportion of threads in the premed forum that is X vs Y, LORs, ECs, etc. Almost by definition, it is more desirable to ask a med student about ANY of these things than to ask other premeds. If people started seeing that X vs. Y was ok, then why not ask about LORs, ECs, etc. If you start letting applicants ask all of these questions in a different forum, there is all of a sudden little use for the pre-allo forum since it's all coming through here. This place would become choatic pretty quickly. This is obviously not happening like this, but given the recent surge in threads, I was just pointing it out.

Also, very few people in here are asking "should I take anatomy or biochem during M1 year" or "please compare residency program X with Y", so your comparison isn't really as comparable as you might think.

Clearly I'm the only one who has noticed this, so feel free to post away I suppose.

I still don't understand why people are getting all flustered about this. You guys really need to relax - the original post really wasn't nearly as dramatic as you would imagine from these responses. Did I upset someone's manhood or something?

29. SaltySqueegee

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    There wasn't anything wrong with your original post, however, if you notice the user Efex, was the one that was being replied to most often. In other words, I don't think anyone had any qualms with what you said in particular. :)

30. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Truth is: You should post in the forum where you're going to get the answers you need. When I was concerned about how many schools to apply to and amcas questions, it was pre-allo. Now, I've been seeking answers about the medical school I'm going to be attending. Current students have the answers. I go to finanical aid when I want to get info about NHSC.

Does it really matter? Respond and read the threads that you care about.

31. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Right, my point is that current students have the answers to everything, so I could see where it could get out of hand. And it actually doesn't matter nearly as much as you've made it out. You really need to relax, you're being extremely uptight.

OK, end of thread. This is getting old and boring.

32. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

then stop posting

33. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Huh? all I wrote was that if someone felt x or y way let the mod know...not that I care what happens..the mods know all the rules and stuff.

34. SaltySqueegee

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    no you stop posting

I'm gettin' negative karma for this one... :rolleyes:

35. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fine, I am done posting. And stop looking at me.

36. SaltySqueegee

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    hehe... I need to walk away from the computer now... hehe... :D