ISOMERS by Dr. Jim Romano NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAT Destroyer

Dr. Romano and Nancy
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming you mean structural isomers,,,,,, no there is no exact way to tell unless you draw the isomers out. The DAT would not ask a question that involves a huge number of isomers. As a general rule,,,if the number of Hydrogens are double the number of Carbons you know that a double bond or a ring is present,,,thus you need to write those isomers out. Obviously if the molecule is CnH2n+2 you know that it is a SATURATED MOLECULE and only single bonds exist. I would suggest that you anticipate that they ask about how many STEREOISOMERS are present,,,,,,In that case, simply count the number of chiral carbons and use the 2n rule. If you have further questions feel free to contact me at orgoman.com.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
orgoman22 said:
Assuming you mean structural isomers,,,,,, no there is no exact way to tell unless you draw the isomers out. The DAT would not ask a question that involves a huge number of isomers. As a general rule,,,if the number of Hydrogens are double the number of Carbons you know that a double bond or a ring is present,,,thus you need to write those isomers out. Obviously if the molecule is CnH2n+2 you know that it is a SATURATED MOLECULE and only single bonds exist. I would suggest that you anticipate that they ask about how many STEREOISOMERS are present,,,,,,In that case, simply count the number of chiral carbons and use the 2n rule. If you have further questions feel free to contact me at orgoman.com.
Thanks, :love: