Israel vs. other foreign institutions??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boots229

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I just recently heard about the option to study in Israel. I am particularly interested in Sackler...however, are there any advantages in residency placing back in the US over other foreign instituions, particularly those in the caribbean?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ntoma1013 said:
Hi everyone...

I just recently heard about the option to study in Israel. I am particularly interested in Sackler...however, are there any advantages in residency placing back in the US over other foreign instituions, particularly those in the caribbean?

as far as i can see, both Sackler and BGU have great residency placements depending on where you want to go/what you want to do... Look at the residency placement lists from previous years for all of the schools that you are thinking about... I'd imagine that Israel would leave you with the most options... but that is w/o seeing the other schools' lists you're thinking of

ntoma1013 said:
Hi everyone...

I would appreciate any help. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I don't know about Sackler, but i know if you go to Caribben School , then you will do 2 yrs of clinical rotation here in USA , so you will get the right connection here - i mean you will get in contact with U.S. Physicians , while in Israel you will miss this part, and believe me , I got pretty good scores in the USMLE's but i didn't match with a residency program this year, bec. i missed this part( CONNECTIONS ), i know the FMG do bad in the match process , but the caribben graduates do multiple steps better.

Whatever specialty you gonna chose after your graduation from med. school, you will get it even if it is a highly competitive specialty, if you got good scores in the USMLE + STRONG letters of recommendations from U.S. based doctors you rounded with them during your clinical rotation.

In conclusion , what is the point of getting graduated from medical school without getting into a residency program!!!! i didn't think about it before and i wish you gonna think about it.

good luck & best wishes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding making connections... At Sackler you do your core rotations in Israel but you also spend several months in America where you can do rotations and electives at hospitals with residency programs that you are interested in. This give you a chance to not only know get to know the hospital, but to also get LOR from US doctors. After looking over the match results from Sackler (you can search for last year's on this forum) and SGU, I don't see any difference in regards to which fields people match too. The biggest difference is that most Sacklers go to programs in the North East or California, so if you had your heart set on going to the mid-west you may have a tougher time.

I got pretty good scores in the USMLE's but i didn't match with a residency program this year, bec. i missed this part( CONNECTIONS ), i know the FMG do bad in the match process , but the caribben graduates do multiple steps better.

While not matching anywhere is a problem for FMGs as a whole, it is not a problem for the big 3 Carib schools or any of the Israeli schools (well, I'm sure its happened at some point, but it is very rare).

Whatever specialty you gonna chose after your graduation from med. school, you will get it even if it is a highly competitive specialty, if you got good scores in the USMLE + STRONG letters of recommendations from U.S. based doctors you rounded with them during your clinical rotation.

Not exactly true... unfortunately, no matter what you do there will always be a stigma attached to being an FMG. Coming from SGU or Sackler helps, as they have good reps among program directors, but you wont get a derm residency just by virtue of having a high USMLE and a LOR from a U.S. Doc. If that is all you needed then Ross and SGU would be cranking out plastic surgeons and dermatologists. Instead out of a class of ~200, 1 or 2 end up in a super-competative field, they are exceptions to the rule and probably have some extra connections or an incredible CV.

The short answer to your origional question is NO, there is no overall benefit to going to one school over the other. The long answer is that it depends on exactly where you want to end up for residency and where will you be the happiest.

Hope this helps.

at least when i graduated in the 1980s

you will get a residenct program in the USA if you go there and a great cultural living experience that will grow hair in your unhairy areas

DocEG said:
Regarding making connections... At Sackler you do your core rotations in Israel but you also spend several months in America where you can do rotations and electives at hospitals with residency programs that you are interested in. This give you a chance to not only know get to know the hospital, but to also get LOR from US doctors. After looking over the match results from Sackler (you can search for last year's on this forum) and SGU, I don't see any difference in regards to which fields people match too. The biggest difference is that most Sacklers go to programs in the North East or California, so if you had your heart set on going to the mid-west you may have a tougher time.

I got pretty good scores in the USMLE's but i didn't match with a residency program this year, bec. i missed this part( CONNECTIONS ), i know the FMG do bad in the match process , but the caribben graduates do multiple steps better.

While not matching anywhere is a problem for FMGs as a whole, it is not a problem for the big 3 Carib schools or any of the Israeli schools (well, I'm sure its happened at some point, but it is very rare).

Not exactly true... unfortunately, no matter what you do there will always be a stigma attached to being an FMG. Coming from SGU or Sackler helps, as they have good reps among program directors, but you wont get a derm residency just by virtue of having a high USMLE and a LOR from a U.S. Doc. If that is all you needed then Ross and SGU would be cranking out plastic surgeons and dermatologists. Instead out of a class of ~200, 1 or 2 end up in a super-competative field, they are exceptions to the rule and probably have some extra connections or an incredible CV.

The short answer to your origional question is NO, there is no overall benefit to going to one school over the other. The long answer is that it depends on exactly where you want to end up for residency and where will you be the happiest.

Hope this helps.

where would you rather go to school south bend indiana or manhattan?

go to sackler and have a great cultural experience

where would you rather go to school south bend indiana or manhattan?

go to sackler and have a great cultural experience

South Bend... They have big teaching hospitals for IU and Notre Dame games since that is where the University of Notre Dame is...