Xxx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
xxx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
For residency match, they're still considered, FMG, right?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes they are IMG/FMG though they have excellent track records. For example, Sackler does have a max class size of 63 and matches 59-60 graduates each year across the US. Technion/TEAMS residency and MSIH Residency matches/placements are near 100%

I do not have residency info on TEAMS Or MSIH

BTW, admissions at MSIH emailed me with the following
we do not have academic ‘cut-offs’ for admission, however, we advise applicants to be as close to our student median to remain competitive.
The average MCAT and GPA of an MSIH student is 509 and 3.5, respectively.
Do you think that will change with the new match system going into place?

No, the fear that the "new" match system is going change anything is ridiculous. First of all, the system isnt new. Second, half of DOs already used the NRMP program prior to the merger. If anything, the Israeli schools have a better reputation (as they are all part of legitimate universities) than many other foreign schools.
Thanks for clarifying!

No, the fear that the "new" match system is going change anything is ridiculous. First of all, the system isnt new. Second, half of DOs already used the NRMP program prior to the merger. If anything, the Israeli schools have a better reputation (as they are all part of legitimate universities) than many other foreign schools.

In your opinion, what would be the difference between applying to residency from a school like Sackler versus applying after training in a reputable UK medical school?

Reactions: 1 user
Sackler is a New York State chartered school, with long history of students in the state and a long history of successful placements that is , for all intents and purposes, the only foreign school that is a "US" school.

Any school in the UK is nothing more than an unknown entity that forced a student to eat bad food and drink warm beer for 4 years. A school from the UK, with a few exceptions of the major universities, is lesser known and therefore provides lesser opportunities that SGU or Ross and those two are pretty piss-poor
I'll accept the dig on warm beer, but a Sunday roast is glorious and I won't hear this slander!

For your Oxfords, Cambridges, UCLs, would you say chances are similar to Ross/SGU?

(sorry to derail)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sackler is a New York State chartered school, with long history of students in the state and a long history of successful placements that is , for all intents and purposes, the only foreign school that is a "US" school.

Any school in the UK is nothing more than an unknown entity that forced a student to eat bad food and drink warm beer for 4 years. A school from the UK, with a few exceptions of the major universities, is lesser known and therefore provides lesser opportunities that SGU or Ross and those two are pretty piss-poor

I disagree. I'm an Attending IM physician, non-American, IMG (Israel), matched at one of the best IM programs in the country. I interviewed across the spectrum in the US and I learned a great deal about the process. I interviewed at almost 20 programs and met many candidates from various backgrounds during the interview tour. UK schools generally have a great reputation and matching at an academic institution will be easier than from SGU or Ross as university reputation does play a role. Having said that, the most important screen will be Step 1, and sometimes Step 2 CK. But make no mistake, the reputation of the university certainly matters at academic programs.

With respect to Israeli universities and UK universities, they are both highly respected in academia. Both tend to produce a lot of research and the ability to publish papers will be an option at both. Research publications matter a great deal when matching at academic institutions.

One thing to consider is that if you are Jewish and speak Hebrew there is always the option of residency in Israel if you plan to stay. If you study in the UK, there are options to do residency in the UK. However, neither residency is generally accepted in the US. One last point, always keep in mind the cost of your education. International tuition for UK medicine is usually very high, higher than studying in Israel (in total due to longer duration of the medical course in the UK). UK medicine is usually 5-6 years, but there are some post-graduate 4 year programs. Always keep in mind the opportunity cost to your educational years.

As I said the major universities from UK are fine but there are some programs specifically designed to attract North American students in UK and Ireland that lean towards to for-profit “Carribean” model and likely arent viewed in same way that the typical MBBS programs are

From a program director's perspective, that's not a very important consideration from what I've seen. Whether it's for-profit or not is irrelevant. What is important is having research opportunities and coming from an institution that is based in a country that has high academic standards. An important factor in the match is research productivity, particularly for IMGs that want to match at an academic program. The name of the university can be important too. However, practically any university in the UK or Ireland is a solid institution. The variability in university quality in these countries is much less than that seen in the U.S. Of course, there are some big names in the UK that offer some extra advantages given their name. The Caribbean institutions simply have very bad reputations and I have first-hand knowledge that many academic programs tend to steer clear of them. Also, are there any research opportunities at Ross/SGU? I don't see it.

Yes they are IMG/FMG though they have excellent track records. For example, Sackler does have a max class size of 63 and matches 59-60 graduates each year across the US. Technion/TEAMS residency and MSIH Residency matches/placements are near 100%

BTW, admissions at MSIH emailed me with the following
we do not have academic ‘cut-offs’ for admission, however, we advise applicants to be as close to our student median to remain competitive. The average MCAT and GPA of an MSIH student is 509 and 3.5, respectively.
Would Sackler Tel Aviv not want a student with a much higher MCAT? Mine was 520 but I’ve lived all around the world and Israel is a place I would love to live.

Would Sackler Tel Aviv not want a student with a much higher MCAT? Mine was 520 but I’ve lived all around the world and Israel is a place I would love to live.
If you want to live in Israel you have to speak either Hebrew or Russian, isnt Sackler’s program taught in Hebrew?

As I said the major universities from UK are fine but there are some programs specifically designed to attract North American students in UK and Ireland that lean towards to for-profit “Carribean” model and likely arent viewed in same way that the typical MBBS programs are
I have been deliberating exactly this topic for weeks now. I am considering doing my MD at Oxford but want to do residency in the US. What do you mean by fine? If I were to study at Oxford, would I have a high chance of scoring a good residency in the US (I'm also not a US or Canadian citizen or permanent resident if that makes a difference)

I have been deliberating exactly this topic for weeks now. I am considering doing my MD at Oxford but want to do residency in the US. What do you mean by fine? If I were to study at Oxford, would I have a high chance of scoring a good residency in the US (I'm also not a US or Canadian citizen or permanent resident if that makes a difference)

It really depends on what you are trying to match into. This will often be more clear as you progress through med school. If you are planning FM, IM, Psych, Peds, you will likely be able to match, granted you have solid step scores. If you have terrible Step scores, it really doesn't matter where you've graduated from, but research productivity can save you. Particular specialties will be difficult for any IMG as several programs first only look at US grads. There simply are enough US grads that want the ENT or derm position that there is little need to look at international candidates. Having said that, I have a few colleagues who were IMGs that matched at Harvard, Yale, etc due to their research productivity. It can make an enormous difference.

I met an Oxford grad during my residency interviews and she had some typical IMG struggles to receive interviews. But I do not know the contents of her entire application or her Step scores. Similarly, I met Cornell Qatar grads on the interview trail and they told me they had struggles to receive interviews. It seemed that even though they would receive a Cornell degree, since they were IMGs they did face an obstacle.

Overall, residency matching is a filtering process. First are you a US grad? Are you a US citizen? How high are your Step scores? Where did you do your medical education? Do you have research productivity?

Where you did med school often matters as program directors would like to take graduates of programs they are familiar with. Take Sackler for example. They have been tremendously successful in the match year after year, even obtaining sought-after specialties like ENT, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, etc. There's also a strong Jewish presence in the North East and with some programs I've noticed there tends to be a preference for Israeli grads over other international graduates.

If you want to live in Israel you have to speak either Hebrew or Russian, isnt Sackler’s program taught in Hebrew?

It's taught in English. Many students speak Hebrew, some don't. Most patients in Tel-Aviv also speak English though.

I'm not sure how high would give a good chance of acceptance. I'm more familiar with the old MCAT format. Yours seems high though when converting it. Sackler seems more MCAT focused than BGU. BGU tends to look more for "the right fit" that is in line with their mission. Each of the Israeli programs has their strengths. If you're interested in research, keep in mind the Technion. They have some brilliant people working there. The program went through a difficult time a few years ago, but they seemed to have ironed out the issues.

Are you referring to the "Atlantic Bridge" Irish schools?

Sorry to resurrect the thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you referring to the "Atlantic Bridge" Irish schools?

Sorry to resurrect the thread.
Sounds like it, but those are still non-profit, and exist as medical schools with or without Americans or Canadians attending

Are there opportunities for American medical students at Israeli medical schools (or even say New York schools with option rotations in Israel) to participate in any medical outreach to surrounding Palestinian communities?