issues facing doctors today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasonE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think are the biggest issues facing doctors today? how about in the future?

i can think of malpractice, shortage of primary care physicians, restrictions imposed by insurance companies that get in the way of patient care.

suggestions to fix these issues? impose limit on lawsuits, provide incentives to pursue primary care, limit insurance companies stanglehold/rules

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Lack of respect from patients, decreasing physician autonomy, demanding nothing short of perfection from your physician or you get sued, etc.

It seems that a lot of issues focus around money. Typically more money in Internal Medicine compared to Primary Care. Furthermore the cost of health care is on the rise but the cost of living is not, plus the economic situation isn't helping, plus you are always going to have the ambulance chasers

Members don't see this ad :)
Society is moving toward feeling that healthcare is a "right".

If one person's right requires another person to do something, such as provide free services, work long hours at low pay, etc, this seems a recipe for disaster. Something of a zero sum game if your right requires my effort.

Politics seem to be a concern, particular in the recent healthcare discussions, in that many individuals appear swayed by soundbites -- "provide universal coverage by removing waste from the system" "if two treatments have the same result, and one costs less, we should require the less expensive one". This seems to be bringing us toward less physician autonomy.

Medmal is a concern, but this varies quite a bit by state; this issue will likely eventually self-correct when there are almost no OBs in Nevada and Florida, for example.

IT could become more of an issue; to the extent that physicians mistakes become public record; people no longer die of "natural causes", but rather heart disease, cancer, etc. If physicians' mistakes come back to haunt them in the long term, like that DUI at age 17 can now bite you when trying to get a job 4 years later due to improved public records, there may be less of an ability to unconditionally care for a patient and more "pre-diagnoses" done in which the physician decides if they will accept a specific patient (who may have substantial risk factors) or not.

Lack of respect from patients, decreasing physician autonomy, demanding nothing short of perfection from your physician or you get sued, etc.

Decreasing physician autonomy is huge. It would also be great to have tort reform. Most doctors want it.

let's see! We need healthcare reform, insurance reform, and legal reform.....hell, let's just start over, lol!!

Being a physician looks worse every time I look, but I cant see anything else so I guess I must really love it!!

I look at Medicine as like a date.. The future is uncertain but right now its looking ok, but hopefully it gets a lot better

Bad example I know but hopefully you get the idea

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRYsRLSrvuo[/YOUTUBE]

I look at Medicine as like a date.. The future is uncertain but right now its looking ok, but hopefully it gets a lot better

Bad example I know but hopefully you get the idea

WTF? That is the worst analogy I have ever heard. Somebody boot him.

WTF? That is the worst analogy I have ever heard. Somebody boot him.

Sorry I didn't please the analogy gods. I said it was not a good example. And I am very sorry if you cant sleep tonight because my lack to produce an analogy worthy of your praise...

I have gone to pray, dear god I have disgraced my family... NO

The world of healthcare may change dramatically. Physicians may be salaried and they may be at higher risk of malpractice claims unless we see some significant tort reform. As older docs like to say, "the golden years are over."

, "the golden years are over."

so is the golden age of falafel in my old neirghborhood.. u always hear something like that.. but life goes on. and in fact, to be able to comment on such a thing u need a reference point.. which should be other careers around. when u look at it that way.. then you notice that it's becoming harder and harder for anybody to make money.. but doctors generally are still very good in that regard.. no question about it. of course it's not the same as when u r the only physician in a city and u get all the patients.. but it's still better than having thousands of people with the same major and all not paid well anyways.. at least we know that medicine will always be in demand!

so is the golden age of falafel in my old neirghborhood.. u always hear something like that.. but life goes on. and in fact, to be able to comment on such a thing u need a reference point.. which should be other careers around. when u look at it that way.. then you notice that it's becoming harder and harder for anybody to make money.. but doctors generally are still very good in that regard.. no question about it. of course it's not the same as when u r the only physician in a city and u get all the patients.. but it's still better than having thousands of people with the same major and all not paid well anyways.. at least we know that medicine will always be in demand!

The reference point is the same career at another point in time.

if you wanna write a pretty story yes.. but if u want to figure out how ur quality of life is going to be.. then u compare to other people and in the current market condition which applies to everybody... doesn't make sense to compare back in time!