Issues of Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HandsOfFire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I grew up out of state, moved to Florida after high school, where I went to undergrad community college and lived in the suburbs. Then I transferred to a state college and completed bachelors.

I have been in this state for 4 years, and I used the address from suburbs on my AMCAS application. I was also born in the same city in florida, so it comes up there too.

I have been a dependent to my father for the last 4 years. For tuition purposes, I do not qualify for florida residency.

Regardless, there is nowhere on the amcas application where i specify my actual state of residency.

When I apply to florida schools, will I be regarded as a florida resident?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you not get instate? I had a similar situation as yours, except I attended an out of state school and then did postbac premed at a state school in Florida. I got instate tuition. They tried to charge me extra at first, but I was able to show a bunch of info to get it changed.

You should count as a state resident for tuition and application purposes in Florida as long as your primary residence is here and a state issued ID helps. Tax forms and what not also make it easier.

It is my understanding, that as a traditional student/one year off student, it all depends on how your current undergrad sees you. If you are OOS for your Florida undergrad, you will be OOS for medical school too. You have to be under 8 credits for a year to establish residency.

There are ways to challenge your residency at most medical schools, but having not gone through the process and only hear admissions people talk about it, I am unaware of how it all works.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you not get instate? I had a similar situation as yours, except I attended an out of state school and then did postbac premed at a state school in Florida. I got instate tuition. They tried to charge me extra at first, but I was able to show a bunch of info to get it changed.

You should count as a state resident for tuition and application purposes in Florida as long as your primary residence is here and a state issued ID helps. Tax forms and what not also make it easier.

Thats the thing. My father lives in idaho, and he has been paying for my upkeep. Ive filed as a dependent in the state of idaho for the last 4 years.

It is my understanding, that as a traditional student/one year off student, it all depends on how your current undergrad sees you. If you are OOS for your Florida undergrad, you will be OOS for medical school too. You have to be under 8 credits for a year to establish residency.

There are ways to challenge your residency at most medical schools, but having not gone through the process and only hear admissions people talk about it, I am unaware of how it all works.

To make thing even more interesting, I have been considered instate in my university. This is because I have a florida prepaid tuition account, which grants me instate for the duration of my 120 free credits.

For tuition purposes, I do not qualify for florida residency.

To make thing even more interesting, I have been considered instate in my university. This is because I have a florida prepaid tuition account, which grants me instate for the duration of my 120 free credits.
Not sure what you are actually considered.:confused:

It it sounds like you need to contact the schools you are interested in and find out what you qualify as. Also note, you can only be considered in state for one state so I would contact both the University of Idaho and the Florida schools to see how they interpret your residency or how you can challenge your residency if they do not consider you IS or OOS depending on what you want. I have a feeling Florida is going to consider you OOS, but you may be able to challenge it if you a) took a year off between HS and college and lived in Florida, or b) if you are a senior and will be living in Florida during your gap year and do not take more than 8 credits.

I grew up out of state, moved to Florida after high school, where I went to undergrad community college and lived in the suburbs. Then I transferred to a state college and completed bachelors.

I have been in this state for 4 years, and I used the address from suburbs on my AMCAS application. I was also born in the same city in florida, so it comes up there too.

I have been a dependent to my father for the last 4 years. For tuition purposes, I do not qualify for florida residency.

Regardless, there is nowhere on the amcas application where i specify my actual state of residency.

When I apply to florida schools, will I be regarded as a florida resident?

http://health.usf.edu/NR/rdonlyres/5E2F6FC0-D121-49AE-96B5-18989212AF45/0/incomingprospectiveMD.pdf

Pages 7 and 8 should answer your question.

HYou should count as a state resident for tuition and application purposes in Florida as long as your primary residence is here and a state issued ID helps. Tax forms and what not also make it easier.

Hey guys, hope I'm not hijacking the thread with my own predicament. I have questions about my residency as well. I was born and raised in Cleveland, OH. I went to college in Atlanta but kept my voting rights in OH instead of switching to GA in the 2008 election. I'm aware that there are special residency rules for people going out of state for school, but now I'm teaching in North Carolina for TFA. I also made sure to file my taxes so that I still paid OH taxes.

The main question: will I still be considered an Ohio resident as an applicant? I'm fairly sure that I won't get the in-state tuition the first year, but was wondering if I'd still get the instate preference for acceptances from schools like Toledo and Cincinnati (from my understanding OSU doesn't put too much weight on in-state applicants.)

Thanks!