Issues with current PsyD Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBT-2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my very first post on this forum, and likely one of many to come as I am about to begin my journey toward my PsyD in roughly 1 week. The program I am enrolled in, which was my top choice where I currently live and had wonderful stats regarding exam pass rate, etc. However, as I do the last preparations before classes begin I am in a very frustrating and anxiety provoking situation.

I have my masters in clinical counseling, and am a licensed therapist. Roughly 4-5 months ago I submitted nearly all my master credits to be considered for credit towards my PsyD. Currently I am looking at completing my doctorate degree in about 4 years, instead of the usual 5. However, I begin classes in about a week and still do not have a set schedule. I have 6 courses, however two of those are courses I submitted transfer credits for way back when. I have sent several emails to my academic advisor, the only individual I really have to communicate with on this matter, and finally had the stress the importance of getting a decision on these courses by the end of next week. Without a decision, not only can I not order any books but I also am unable to plan things on my end. Not to mention the amount of anxiety it gives me simply knowing that I am only a few days from beginning my program and have no solid schedule. If these classes are granted, which I hope they are, I then have to (somehow) scramble to fill them in a weeks time (and that is assuming I get a decision in the next couple days).

I was told middle of last week that the director of the program had sent an email to the faculty in charge asking for a decision by Friday. Friday came and went, and nothing. I sent another email today, stating I absolutely needed a decision now, while being as polite as possible. The response I received back was that it was out of their hands and that, with professors coming back from summer leave still, that until the faculty review them they won't have a decision. It would not be so pressing, if it weren't for the fact that I'm supposed to start next week.

I feel at a loss in regards to what more I can do. I feel as if I am being a huge annoyance, however I am very confused/frustrated/pressured by the entire situation. All I know is that I need a decision immediately and, at the same time, there is absolutely nothing I can do because (for some reason) the faculty have yet to review my transfer credit submissions.

I am hoping that I can get some bit of advice and guidance in regards to how to deal with this current issue. Thank you to all who read and offer some words of wisdom.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like the policy for transferring credits is very similar to the one in place when I completed my PhD, i.e., you need the approval of the course instructor. I would attend the first week of classes and just talk to the instructors face-to-face if you do not hear anything from them by that time. I wouldn't stress about books and the like - missing the first week of class is not that big of a deal and you'll catch up (if need be).

Reactions: 2 users
I was in a similar situation when I started my program and was also pretty stressed about it. I did end up receiving credit for a few courses through transfer credit but needed to redo a few as well- and for good reason. It was not worked out right away but that was okay. You are a first year student and have years to get to where you need to be. Not knowing what that looks like right this moment, is okay. I would keep talking to my program admin and see what they can do. As was mentioned above... switching classes a week in is usually no big deal.

Reactions: 1 user
I would also add that most of the staff for my program are doing other things over the summer so it is more difficult to get things done during that time. After the first week, however, things are normally back up to speed.