Quantcast

Issues with Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Genetics on the MCAT was fine and straight forward but my undergraduate genetics classes are really difficult for me for some reason and I was wondering how to study for them. I took fundamental genetics last semester and received the lowest grade I've ever gotten in a course and now I'm taking Human Genetics and I'm getting the same feeling.
Is genetics supposed to be viewed differently from other biological sciences? I'm really good at Orgo and I really like and did well in Advanced Biochemistry. Physiology is also a strength of mine. It's just this damn genetics! Are any of you encountering the same problem? The way I study is by making outlines of materials (rewriting it but rephrasing it so I can understand it myself). (Besides Orgo where I just practiced). I was just wondering if there was any reason to radically deviate from this routine specifically for my genetics class because things don't seem to be working. (I'm fine with molecular genetics as in various enzymes in the processes of transription, etc). I seem to be having trouble with things like deletion mapping, determining what genetic problem is occurring, pointing out epistasis among other things. :(

Bangersandmash

Reaction score
Do more practice problems? Gene mapping and recombination (especially with three genes) took me a few problems to get the hang of. I found genetics to be a 50/50mix of memorization and problem solving. If you didn't have trouble memorizing metabolic pathways in advanced biochem or solving syntheses in organic chem, then whatever you did for those classes should work for genetics.

zwander

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found genetics to be completely different from any science course I ever took. It's not at all about memorization (although for MCAT you can probably memorize every type of problem they could give u) and its totally about being able to manipulate a few simple rules in many many ways. You really just have to grasp the essence of each of those facts, but even then it still requires a lot of critical thinking.

neuro nephrons

Reaction score
I feel you, OP. I am currently in genetics and it is rough. I find it difficult to focus on and the exams are extremely challenging. Whoever said that it isn't about memorization is absolutely correct! Not only do you need to know the material, you need to know how to manipulate the material in many different ways!

I would suggest doing a 30 minute to an hour review each week to make sure you are up to date with the material that is being presented in lecture. I fell behind in the second portion of the class and had to cram for the exam I took last week (not ideal). Just stay current with the information, go to office hours/TA if necessary and you should be fine!

Layd33foxx

Reaction score
+1, I remember distinctly walking out of a 3 hour Genetics exam and literally feeling my brain being weak and in pain from the experience (and this was over 10+ years ago!)

I have to retake it :'(

Serrulata

Reaction score
Genetics on the MCAT was fine and straight forward but my undergraduate genetics classes are really difficult for me for some reason and I was wondering how to study for them. I took fundamental genetics last semester and received the lowest grade I've ever gotten in a course and now I'm taking Human Genetics and I'm getting the same feeling.
Is genetics supposed to be viewed differently from other biological sciences? I'm really good at Orgo and I really like and did well in Advanced Biochemistry. Physiology is also a strength of mine. It's just this damn genetics! Are any of you encountering the same problem? The way I study is by making outlines of materials (rewriting it but rephrasing it so I can understand it myself). (Besides Orgo where I just practiced). I was just wondering if there was any reason to radically deviate from this routine specifically for my genetics class because things don't seem to be working. (I'm fine with molecular genetics as in various enzymes in the processes of transription, etc). I seem to be having trouble with things like deletion mapping, determining what genetic problem is occurring, pointing out epistasis among other things. :(

Chances are, you aren't the first person in the class to have these issues. I would try to talk to the professor (if they're approachable), or a TA who might give you tips on these types of questions. Genetics was my favorite subject and I also TA'ed for the course - from experience, I can say it's definitely not all memorization - so rewriting it will help you in some of the aspects but definitely not all. I would do what I suggested first, and then also to do as many example questions as possible.

mwall003

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

The best way to improve within Genetics is really to do problems and determine where you went wrong in your decision making process. Find a reliable question bank and spend half an hour to an hour daily doing just Genetics problems.