ISU (IS) vs Kansas or Illinois (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zooDVM-hopeful

ISU DVM c/o 2025!
Reaction score
Hi all! :) Just need a little advice on which school to choose. I got into my in state school (Iowa) which is obviously a great school but I may have some interest in zoological / wildlife medicine. I've heard ISU has gotten almost completely rid of any zoological focuses. Illinois and Kansas specifically have great opportunities for that. I'd love to have the opportunities to learn zoological medicine if possible, but may still stick to a small animal track..

Obviously, Iowa State is almost a 3rd of the cost for me so I am a little stuck. Any advice would be amazing!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of getting your foot in the door in zoo/wildlife medicine is doing your own legwork. Is it a little easier to get exposure at a school that has an active exotics/wildlife/zoo service and the requisite clinicians? Sure. Does it mean you're automatically going to have a better shot than someone who went to a school without that? Hell no. You still have to do the networking yourself, seek out opportunities for learning, all of that. Few if any programs have the opportunity to focus so much on zoo med that you won't need to go to conferences, seek out research opportunities, and find externships.

So since you're going to need to do those things no matter where you go, and those things tend to cost money, it is even more vital not to spend more on your schooling itself than you have to. Especially given the income in the field.

Total cost of attendance taking average tuition increases into account is likely to be less than 200k for you at Iowa. At Illinois or Kansas you're looking at the 300k range. I certainly wouldn't spend 100k more for a little extra exposure, especially when you're not even sure if that's the path you're going to take in your career. A few externships and conferences will cost you a tenth of that, if even that much.

Reactions: 1 users
Illinois clinical year student with exotics interests (though not moving forward to try to get boarded). I drank the Illinois kool-aid hard. I love my class and feel like I had a great experience with Illinois.

Go to Iowa. The money *is not worth it*. I would have gone to my in state if I had been accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of getting your foot in the door in zoo/wildlife medicine is doing your own legwork. Is it a little easier to get exposure at a school that has an active exotics/wildlife/zoo service and the requisite clinicians? Sure. Does it mean you're automatically going to have a better shot than someone who went to a school without that? Hell no. You still have to do the networking yourself, seek out opportunities for learning, all of that. Few if any programs have the opportunity to focus so much on zoo med that you won't need to go to conferences, seek out research opportunities, and find externships.

So since you're going to need to do those things no matter where you go, and those things tend to cost money, it is even more vital not to spend more on your schooling itself than you have to. Especially given the income in the field.

Total cost of attendance taking average tuition increases into account is likely to be less than 200k for you at Iowa. At Illinois or Kansas you're looking at the 300k range. I certainly wouldn't spend 100k more for a little extra exposure, especially when you're not even sure if that's the path you're going to take in your career. A few externships and conferences will cost you a tenth of that, if even that much.
Thanks so much for your opinion. This is really helpful! I know its difficult to pursue zoo medicine and I am in debt already from my undergrad..

Members don't see this ad :)
Illinois clinical year student with exotics interests (though not moving forward to try to get boarded). I drank the Illinois kool-aid hard. I love my class and feel like I had a great experience with Illinois.

Go to Iowa. The money *is not worth it*. I would have gone to my in state if I had been accepted.
This is super helpful! May I ask why you aren't moving forward? and did you receive any scholarships from Illinois or are they pretty rare for vet students?

This is super helpful! May I ask why you aren't moving forward? and did you receive any scholarships from Illinois or are they pretty rare for vet students?
Mainly that the competition is fierce and I honestly don't feel I have the grade or connections to get into zoo med. There are other specialties I would prefer to be boarded in over zoo med (onco and animal welfare) as well. My career is also not my main priority now that I'm graduating; starting my adult life and family is going to be my new main priority. Internship and residency time commitment and pay makes those more difficult to accomplish.

I received one scholarship based on how active I was in animal welfare for just over 2k. I have applied every year except second year, and I have applied to probably 50 scholarships total through the school (though we won't know about this year's scholarships for a few months yet). However, I know multiple people who have received 5 or more scholarships. Just depends on what you do.

Reactions: 1 user