It Can Be Done -- Non-Traditional Medical Student Success Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hesitate to post this, but here goes:

42 in a Caribbean school MSII.

This has been harder than I imagine and I thought it would be "Fun" to go to medschool, in some ways it is and others it is not.

I hear you - a lot of med students can be real children, esp. the ones who come straight from college and don't even know life outside of fraternities and football games.
Just hang in there and once you hit MSIII, you come back to the states and get to start acting more like a doctor, your RN experience will make it a lot easier for you and you will shine. FP in a rural setting - they will be beating down your door to get you to join them. Have fun and enjoy your success!

Members don't see this ad.

Great thread! Just completed my phd in molecular pathology last week! :) Nothing like getting a phd in a field that consists of failed experiments 90% of the time to prepare me for the med school app process!:laugh: ! I'll be starting a post-doctoral fellowship next week and I am at a crossroads: I have to complete my pre-reqs (g-chem,o-chem,physics) and am not sure if I should take classes on my own or apply to a post bacc. I hope to have a great success story to share in the next year or so. Good luck to all...!

I'll add my story, too.

I always thought I'd be an English professor. I dedicated my whole high school career to arts and humanities -- exited the math and science tracks early to take more foreign languages and music classes. I started college at a small LAC as a double major in English and drama. College was a real disappointment to me. Somehow I'd thought that in college everyone would care about their classes and what they were learning. (Yeah. Don't ask me where I got that idea from.) I soon realized that I wouldn't be happy cramming the classics down the throats of undergrads. I explored some of the other options -- editing, research, writing -- and none of them really floated my boat. I was totally lost on what I wanted to do with my life.

With some concurrent personal issues, this created a perfect storm and I dropped out. I was looking for a job that made more than minimum wage that I could do while I figured out what my next step was, and my aunt recommended that I be a nursing assistant. I'd worked in the kitchen of a nursing home in high school and I knew that I enjoyed working with the elderly so I figured I might as well go for it -- a quick class and I'd be making some decent cash.

I didn't expect to love it but I did. Suddenly, instead of exploring degrees in linguistics or Japanese or what have you, I was looking at health care. Due to more personal issues (marriage and divorce), I didn't return to school for another few years and, when I did, it was to nursing school. I did consider med school at the time, but I was broke and frightened of the prereqs. The hospital where I worked would pay for a two-year nursing program for me, so I figured that if I wanted more, I could always do a nurse practitioner, CRNA, or midwife program after that.

In nursing school I loved the science and hated the nursing theory. My non-nursing instructors in A&P and micro both independently pulled me aside and asked me why I wasn't trying for medical school, which kept resurrecting the idea in my head. When I graduated, I decided I would practice for a few years to get a better idea of where I wanted to go in the future and to save up some money to get there. I really enjoyed many aspects of floor nursing but I knew it wasn't a forever thing for me. After interacting with all sorts of professionals, I finally decided that medicine was where I wanted to be, and I started taking the prereqs. Because I did not have a bachelor's, I needed to pick up one of those as well, so I finished my English degree alongside taking Bio, Chem, OChem, Physics, etc. (I basically had to start the prereqs from even before the beginning -- I had to take college algebra and trig before I could take intro bio and chem).

So now, 13 years after I dropped out of college, I'm starting medical school in September. :)

I had heard a lot before I started the application process that there is a bias against nurses in med school admissions. I never got any sense of that in my interviews or conversations with admissions staff. I was very happy with the results of my application -- I got a very early acceptance to my state school which allowed me to save some money by withdrawing my application at most other places, and so I only attended four more interviews, which resulted in another acceptance at a top 20 school and two waitlists at top 10 schools. I mention this just to encourage other non-trads and especially other nurses to aim high!

Thank you.....as a fellow nurse it helps to hear others' stories.....thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Turning 30 in August. Went to ivy undergrad and majored in history/polisci. Got a law degree and practiced in NYC. ABsolultely hated life during that time. Came over from the dark side and started a post-bac program at CCNY. Ended up with a 3.93 post-bac GPA and 29S MCAT. Had 11 interview invites and started yanking them due to $$$$ considerations. 3 acceptances and am a second year at USF COM.

We have a lot of non-trads and they are very friendly to us. I was also out of state when I applied.

Oh wow....You're going to be a double threat....a doctor WITH a law degree?! wow....so when u get sued or have to deal with insurance companies you can represent yourself!!! That's a pretty amazing feat.:D

The best thing about being a non-trad for me is knowing with complete conviction that I am on the right path - I think my younger counterparts struggle a lot with whether they made the right decision to do medicine, whereas I had 5 solid years to doubt and question myself and yet have every sign continue to propel me forward. I've heard others say similar things here, that they would test the water with this job or that class and find the momentum build with every baby step forward. Knowing there is nowhere else I'd rather be is a wonderful and peaceful feeling.

I agree. I think as a nontrad you really had time to figure things out in life and find out who you are. There were bumps in the road but we overcame it (I mean I'm still going through the process) but we're not blatantly just going from one easy step to another.....like from HS to college then college to grad school.....I guess everyone's journey will be different, but nonetheless special.
I think we have to nice conviction knowing we are satisfied with who we are.....in our goals in life or whatever. At least that's how I feel. I know when I was 21 or 22 I was immature and not confident in who I was at all! It took me several years to finally be happy with who I am....

Undergrad 1991-1995
BS Chemistry, GPA 3.4-ish (hey, it's been awhile)
Grad school 1995-2001
PhD Pathology, GPA 3.98
MCAT 32
Med school 2001-2005
Now PGY-2

I was fortunate to receive a relatively quick and easy acceptance to one of my state medical schools (my #1 choice, overall).

hey thanks for this story this is very motivational for me I am just now
beginning my journey into the field I am 25 I thought it was to late for me but I guess not after hearing reading this; I was feeling the same way
you said about my job and all; but this is a great story and has inspired me
to really pursue a life long dream

Goes without saying how inspiring all of your stories are.
For me its daunting to say the least, I'm 25 right now and I start at NOVA ( community college) this spring. Luckily they have this agreement with UVA and W&M that guarantees admission as a transfer if you do well. God knows that is the only shot I have of getting into a good school.
So I'll be almost hiting 30 when I start med school, wow that sounds really scary to me. Looking at how my friends are doing so well right now and I will still be grinding 8 yrs from now.

If there are any other stories out there, and I'm sure there are plenty, please post and help out us newbies...

If you're going to NOVA Alexandria campus, try to get Prof. Jennifer Stepnowski (spelling may be off) for Chemistry. She was very helpful and a good teacher.

I can post my story now! :D

I went to a community college straight out of high school - I was 17 and not ready to move out on my own. I played around with the idea of being a pre-med but got scared off by people telling me how hard it would be. I decided to major in math.

I did well at the community college and transferred to Berkeley after two years there. I took my first upper-division math classes and absolutely couldn't stand them. I was freaked out that Berkeley was too far above me, debated dropping out of school completely, but decided to withdraw from the awful math classes and went back to the community college. I switched my major to psychology and decided I would try to apply to Stanford so I could live at home with my parents still. In my one quarter of being a psych major, I discovered statistics and loved it. I ended up being rejected from Stanford ( :mad: ), so I knew I was going back to Berkeley. I decided to drop all the rest of my classes at the community college (a total of 6 W's on my transcript at this point), and went to London for a month before going back to Berkeley.

Berkeley the second time around while studying statistics was a good match for me. I did very well in my classes and then discovered public health. I LOVED public health and was set to pursue an MPH.

Then I got pregnant. I ended up miscarrying that pregnancy, but the damage was done. I had the baby bug BAD. Being pregnant again was all I could think about. My husband and I started actually trying to have a baby at this point and I miscarried two more times. I finished my degree, moved out of CA, and began a job working as a biostatistician for the health department here. I found out the same day I started my job that I was pregnant again. That baby stuck and is my now three year old. I left my job as a biostatistician when I began having pregnancy complications in the 4th month. I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom anyway so I didn't feel bad about leaving a few months earlier than I planned.

I started thinking more about medicine at this point. Actually, I started first thinking about it seriously for the first time since I started college when I had the first miscarriage. It just kind of clicked that this was something I would be really good at. I was torn, though - like I said before I had the baby bug BAD and didn't want to go to medical school right out of college only to put off having kids for another decade almost. The baby bug won obviously. Anyway - when my daughter was a few months old it REALLY clicked that I didn't want to be a stay-at-home mom for the rest of the time she lived with me. It was boring most of the time and I don't have the patience to deal with kids 24/7. ;) When my daughter was 11 months old, I started taking my missing prerequisites.

And a few months later I was pregnant again. ;) This baby stuck as well and is my now 14 month old daughter. I took the year off from classes when she was bon but started studying for the MCAT when she was 2 months old. I studied for 7 months and took the MCAT this past April.

I applied this cycle while taking classes to finish my last prereqs. I applied through the early decision program to my state school jst a few miles from where I live because my husband's business can't be moved. I learned just last week that they accepted me. :D

So that's the LONG story of how I became a mom and future medical student. I will start next year at the age of 27, married, with a 2 year old and a 4 year old. :scared:

Oxeye!!

We have 'spoken' before and I have been following your story. Congrats on acheiving your goal. Especially though narrow guidelines...one school!!!

Just wanted to send my positive vibes your way as you start off on your new journey.

oxeye-what an inspiration! congrats! I guess its never too late! plus u kinda go against the grain...most people want their career before they want kids right? hahha

good luck!

28 now.

Went to alternative undergrad (no grades, no credits)
double major theater/psych
Lots of extracurriculars

Postbacc at small college elsewhere for 1 yr.
Worked 2 yrs as admin asst. in neuroscience ctr. while applying.
Zen hospice volunteer, hypnotherapist, writer, volunteering, MCAT teacher at Kaplan.
MCAT 32 (9,11,12)
Science GPA 3.8.

Applied year #1:
AMCAS botched my app the first time I applied (electronic issues, august MCAT, class list looked pathetic- cuz my real transcript had page long evals for each course, and AMCAS only had a course list! Hah!)
Result: 3 interviews. Accepted at 1 osteo school, which I declined. Waitlisted at 1 allo, never accepted.

Applied year #2: Rewrote Pers Statement. Did more volunteering, work, etc. More carefully chose schools that fit what I really wanted (rounded curric, etc.). Faxed my whole 20 page transcript to every school I applied. Man that took a while. 7 interviews. Accepted or waitlisted at every one.

Now a 4th year med student, with interviews rolling in for residencies. :D

It can all be done. If you're gonna be non-traditional, own it. Show them you can be yourself and still do everything the normal 22 year old straight out of college can do.

Thank for all the stories of encouragement

I joined this in 2003! 3 years ago when I was "thinking" of med school and now three years later I am back applying to a post-bacc and getting ready to apply for fall 2009...Seems so far away but so did 2007 and it's around the corner. I'll be 27 when I enter med school and am interested in ob/gyn. Hope I have what it takes to get in!

Oxeye, never heard your full story before... I have a bit of a hate for upper-level math myself... congrats again on your acceptance. Just don't completely forget about your girls! ;) :)

Thank for all the stories of encouragement

I joined this in 2003! 3 years ago when I was "thinking" of med school and now three years later I am back applying to a post-bacc and getting ready to apply for fall 2009...Seems so far away but so did 2007 and it's around the corner. I'll be 27 when I enter med school and am interested in ob/gyn. Hope I have what it takes to get in!

ha! join the club, I joined in Aug 2004 (After lurking for a few months) and really started posting about 8 months ago... you'll get in if you stick to it

I meant to start this thread a few months ago, but better late than never. I wanted to share a quick summary of my story as a non-traditional applicant, in the hopes that those who are tentative or just starting their journeys might gain some insight into the process or at least be encouraged that success is within reach. I am neither the most successful nor the best qualified of the folks I've met here, though, so I'd like for all non-trad medical students to join in. If this thread becomes long/important enough, I'd like for it to become a sticky.

I was a so-so student in college, graduating with a computer science degree and a GPA of 2.75/BCPM 2.65 in 1999. I was actually a pre-med chemistry major for my first two years, then changed course after nearly failing honors orgo during my sophomore year. I got every possible grade at school, from A+ through F, except for C- and D-. While my then-girlfriend, now-wife graduated the following year cum laude, my diploma would more appropriately be subtitled "thank the laude."

Roughly three weeks into my new career as an IT consultant, I knew that I had made the wrong choice and that I needed to find a different way to make a living. Unfortunately, ennui and increasing comfort with my income caused me to make only halfhearted attempts for the following four years. I would consider business school, then stop to read up on law school, then stop to consider medicine briefly, and so on, never settling on or committing to any one course. Meanwhile, I grew ever more miserable. The bitterness I felt towards my job leaked into my personal life, eventually putting significant strain into my marriage. Yes, we had a DINK lifestyle, a nice new townhouse in the suburbs, and plans to get "the big house" and start our family in the near future. But I hated every minute I had to devote to my job. I hated getting up early, getting dressed, driving in, sitting down, working, driving home, and trying to relax afterwards. It wasn't working, no matter how much I thought I might make it work. I couldn't divorce myself from my work, and my work was turning me into a terrible person.

Enough was enough, and a series of very painful personal challenges finally convinced me that I had to make a change or just submit to being miserable forever. I finally listened to the voice inside my head that I should pursue medicine, a dream that I'd had for years. In college, I dismissed it as requiring too much work; as a consultant, I dismissed it because it would cut into my family schedule. But I realized that nothing else would do, that becoming a physician was the only thing that would make me comfortable with myself. That, I reasoned, was enough to give up a lot to make my dreams come true.

I quit my job two weeks shy of my fifth anniversary with the company and started a year of post-bacc courses. The post-bacc program director was actually unwilling to let me into the program at first, agreeing after some badgering to let me enter only if I managed to get A-s or higher in both summer sessions of gen chem. I got two As. In the school year that followed, I took orgo, bio, and physics simultaneously, earning As except for two A-s. I completed the program with a 3.93 GPA, having earned second honors and first honors in the fall and spring semesters. I took the April MCAT during that spring semester, getting a 37R -- 12 verbal, 13 physical, 12 bio.

I began the medical school application process during the summer of 2005. Out of 15 schools, I eventually received five interviews. Each one of them led to an acceptance offer. In just over a week, I will be starting orientation at the ******* School of Medicine.

To say that I was scared about starting this life-changing process would be a grave understatement. I was absolutely terrified about voluntarily giving up my salary, taking on significant debt, and sitting in class with over a hundred smart, motivated students all seven years younger than me. I had no idea how (or if) I would transition from employee to full-time student, and I honestly did not think that I would do all that well at first. Even if I managed to do well as a post-bacc, I didn't know how I would pull off the MCAT. Assuming I did well on the MCAT, I had no idea how my old GPA would affect the admissions process. I figured that if I managed to clear all of these hurdles, I would be lucky to hold one firm acceptance offer by April 2006. As it turned out, I had five by November.

I was scared, but I was also determined to make the most of the opportunity I'd given myself. I worked myself to the bone, applying myself much harder than I ever did in college. I was the dork in the third row with questions, I was the one who went to office hours every week. I was also the one who forged some personally rewarding relationships with my professors, which naturally led to some great referrals.

Ironically, I think the hardest part of my journey was, and will continue to be, balancing my academic workload with the rest of my life. I will be 29 this December, but I'm non-traditional in more than age. I'm married and I have a beautiful eight-month-old daughter. We've got a mortgage, a dog, two cars, bills, taxes, friends outside of school, and everything else you'd expect to find in a normal young family's life. I can't expect to make it through med school if I end up neglecting my family; at the same time, I can't expect to succeed if I don't continue to press my nose to the grindstone. In addition, the process of paring down my life and my family's life to one more affordable on loans has cost us a number of things. The material items that we would normally take for granted, the time that I normally would have had to help my wife and raise our children -- these things are being pinched, and these things matter a lot. I have absolute faith that we can make it through, but I wonder just how much I will have sacrificed at the end. Money is one thing, of course, but family is another and time is priceless.

It is with all of these doubts that I went through the process, and I expect to continually be challenged as I progress through my medical education. That's the rub of being non-traditional, I suppose. At the same time, I have managed to excel as a student and prove to myself that I do have what it takes to become a physician. I'm incredibly excited to be where I am today, and I can't recall a time when I was happier than I am now. I can't wait to don my white coat and show those 22-year-olds what these old bones are capable of doing!

29? HAHAHA I only wish I was 29 again. I'm almost 40. I needed a good laugh. When I was 29, I was in the bowels of Afghansitan leading troops as a young lieutenant. Having a mid-life crisis during my 30th birthday.

:)

It's so nice to hear about these success stories, guys. Keep up the positive flow! :D