It could happen to you (there's hope)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share my story/news. . .

I applied to 18 schools with a 29S and 28Q MCAT as well as a 3.73gpa. I received a notice from Albany Med back in October or November that informed me of my status at the time- "hold for interview". Well, I had pretty much written that off as a rejection until they sent me a letter in January offering me an invitation to interview on Feb 8th. Just today, I received word that I have been accepted. Now mind you, not only did I not think that I had a chance at Albany; but also, I was beginning to think that I would not get into medical school at all this year. I've had 6 other interviews. Of those, I've been waitlisted at 2 and heard nothing from the rest. I even interviewed at Chicago Med in October and, to this date, have not heard a thing. So, moral of the story. . . It's not over 'till it's over. Good Luck all.

Members don't see this ad.

Big whoop. Your #'s meet the national average of those accepted. It's great you got in, but nothing of what you mentioned is extrordinary.....

I don't think this person is referring to their MCAT and GPA necessarily. I think they are referring to the rather obnoxious "hold letter" that so many schools seem to enjoy sending out. I myself have received two of these and they are a bit irritating because they are rather ambiguous. They can mean that they are still interested in your application or that they don't have the heart to send you a rejection letter right away after gladly cashing that check you sent along with your secondary. IMHO, they want you to think that the secondary application fee you sent in was more than just an excuse to take your money before rejecting you. Again this is a statement of opinion not fact so don't take my word for it.

At this point I mysef am sick and tired of waiting for a decision. Either reject me so I can get on with my life in another direction or get me in for an interview if you really think I merit it. I almost want to get rejected now since I think of it sort of like a form of euthanasia to put me out of my misery. I guess I just want some clarity in my life right now that's all. Oh well, I am still hanging by a few threads of hope at least.

[This message has been edited by Asteras1 (edited 02-16-2001).]