It feels like I don't belong in academia. What are my other options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine008

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted several times before saying I was unsure about my phd clinical psychology program. The more time passes, the more I feel like I am certain I do not belong here. I do not like writing, I do not like designing studies, I don't like reading long, boring articles, and I do not like/am very mediocre at statistics. I do not think that the end result (i.e. neuropsych assessments) is worth going through all the stuff I do not like, and then moving around the country for internship and postdoc. I think I have definitely decided to leave my program, for though I am good at it, I do not enjoy it and am constantly worried about how much money I will make, if I will enjoy it, the decline of the field, etc. I am interested in the brain, its anatomy and its function but I am not sure where to go from here....all I have known my entire (school) life is psychology.. I am sure these posts annoy some of you regulars here, but that really isn't my intention. I am truly, seriously, very confused, lost and down. Thanks in advance in case anyone replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I've posted several times before saying I was unsure about my phd clinical psychology program. The more time passes, the more I feel like I am certain I do not belong here. I do not like writing, I do not like designing studies, I don't like reading long, boring articles, and I do not like/am very mediocre at statistics. I do not think that the end result (i.e. neuropsych assessments) is worth going through all the stuff I do not like, and then moving around the country for internship and postdoc. I think I have definitely decided to leave my program, for though I am good at it, I do not enjoy it and am constantly worried about how much money I will make, if I will enjoy it, the decline of the field, etc. I am interested in the brain, its anatomy and its function but I am not sure where to go from here....all I have known my entire (school) life is psychology.. I am sure these posts annoy some of you regulars here, but that really isn't my intention. I am truly, seriously, very confused, lost and down. Thanks in advance in case anyone replies.

All post graduate work that has to do with studying/learning about the brain will involve writing, designing studies, and reading plenty of peer reviewed articles. So, not sure what you can do about that.

You have never mentioned what you like about the clinical application of such things (you are in a clinical program afterall). Do you like testing? Therapy? Mental health policy/issues? What about a masters in counseling? An MPH program? From your other posts and with your feeling that you dont want to be in school while all your friends move on with their careers, it sounds like med school and most doctoral programs are off the table?

All post graduate work that has to do with studing/learning about the brain will involve writing, designing studies, and reading plenty of peer reviewed articles. So, not sure what you can do about that.

You have never mentioned what you like about the clinical application of such things (you are in a clinical program afterall). Do you like testing? Therapy? Mental health policy/issues? What about a masters in counseling? An MPH program? From your other posts and with your feeling that you dont want to be in school while all your friends move on with their careers, it sounds like med school and most doctoral programs are off the table?

I do like testing. I have not done therapy yet. I'm on a neuropsych route

Members don't see this ad :)

work as a psychometrist for a time...until your figure out where you wanna go from there? if you are single and no family to support, the money will be sufficient for a couple of years.

As was brought up in one of your other threads... Have you spoken with your advisor, DCT, or another trusted faculty member about your concerns yet? I know that *sometimes* they're not always particularly helpful, but if it's a "weeeell, I don't knoooow, maaaayyybe, maybe not" sort of thing, then you may need more time or others' perspectives re: your performance and longevity in the program. Hopefully they will be frank with you.

My program and I just parted ways this year after 6 years, and I had serious doubts about whether it was the program for me throughout my first year and every year thereafter. Yeah, there are those who state that "everyone has those doubts, concerns, etc." Just because everyone might have fleeting thoughts doesn't mean that there aren't those who should have cut those ties and bailed.

Seriously, you don't want to be stuck trying to explain your academic/career history if you move forward, continue to move forward, continue on, and then go on your merry way. It sucks. It's doable. It just takes some skill and ingenuity. (Nor do you want to be stuck with paying for the education if it turns out not to be the route you want to go...)

However, if it's more self-doubt, I don't know what to do, I don't know enough about career prospects, etc. TALK TO SOMEONE IN YOUR PROGRAM. You also don't want to leave hastily, only to regret it later.

What do you want out of a career? Can this be accomplished with the PhD (only a PhD)? Or are there other routes available to you? Hell, go talk to the career counseling folks if you feel more comfortable talking to someone outside your dept.

G'luck~ :luck:

I know the feeling! I wouldn't recommend dropping out until you had something else in place, or at least a clear idea of something that you would rather be doing. It makes more sense to me to take a year off rather than to drop out completely, especially if you don't know know what other direction to go in. During that year off, you can shadow, interview, etc. other people in other fields to get an idea of something you may like more. You may be able to do that on the side as well, if you don't want to take a year off.

As far as leaving the program for good, the freedom of not being in grad school and grinding it out at the research mill may be attractive, and you may indeed find something that you like if you leave, but it seems risky to me. You might come to find out that you were just burned out at the time or didn't have a chance to research what you like. It will be really hard to get back into a program once you have left, so at least get a M.S. out of it.

I have known a few people that decided that grad school wasn't for them and left. Most of them just felt it wasn't worth it, and seemed happy with their decision when I talked to them. I seriously considered dropping out many (MANY) times during my first year, quite a few during my second year, and as a fourth year now I am glad I stuck it through. Research was also an acquired taste for me. Once I saw the need for it, it started becoming a lot more interesting. Best of luck to you!

What are you passionate about? What made you go to graduate school in the first place? Forget about all the difficulties in the field and try to focus on what made you excited when you decided to go into this field? If you cannot think about what you are passionate about or how the degree will help you reach your goals, then I don't think it's worth it. At the end of the day I can come up with 10 things at least that I love about doing therapy and testing.

I know the feeling! I wouldn't recommend dropping out until you had something else in place, or at least a clear idea of something that you would rather be doing. It makes more sense to me to take a year off rather than to drop out completely, especially if you don't know know what other direction to go in. During that year off, you can shadow, interview, etc. other people in other fields to get an idea of something you may like more. You may be able to do that on the side as well, if you don't want to take a year off.

As far as leaving the program for good, the freedom of not being in grad school and grinding it out at the research mill may be attractive, and you may indeed find something that you like if you leave, but it seems risky to me. You might come to find out that you were just burned out at the time or didn't have a chance to research what you like. It will be really hard to get back into a program once you have left, so at least get a M.S. out of it.

I have known a few people that decided that grad school wasn't for them and left. Most of them just felt it wasn't worth it, and seemed happy with their decision when I talked to them. I seriously considered dropping out many (MANY) times during my first year, quite a few during my second year, and as a fourth year now I am glad I stuck it through. Research was also an acquired taste for me. Once I saw the need for it, it started becoming a lot more interesting. Best of luck to you!

That was very helpful and gave me perspective. Thank you!

Um.... Craft brewer? Stripper? Gonzo journalist? Far from neuro-academic, yet all certainly more or less cerebral. Is that the winning formula?

I do not enjoy it and am constantly worried about how much money I will make, if I will enjoy it, the decline of the field, etc. I am interested in the brain, its anatomy and its function but I am not sure where to go from here....all I have known my entire (school) life is psychology.. I am sure these posts annoy some of you regulars here, but that really isn't my intention. I am truly, seriously, very confused, lost and down. Thanks in advance in case anyone replies.

First off, your post isn't annoying (at least to me), as it offers an opportunity to address a pretty common struggle for many students. As for your situation, I'd refer back to PHD12's questions about the impetus that led you down the path of graduate work in psychology. Once you flesh out your thoughts a bit more, it'd definitely be worth talking with your mentor (if they are the approachable type) or a trusted professor/other faculty. Many of us have been there (myself included, multiple times), so hopefully the person you speak to will have some experience in this area.

The doom and gloom posted on here can be tough to see/read when you are in the thick of things, though it's important to acknowledge those issues too, as it helps balance out the boundless optimism of many applicants and educate others who might benefit during/after training.

I'm not sure how far along you are, but you'll at least want to leave with a MS, though I think you'd be far better served to finish your Ph.D. (even if you do not pursue licensure). Having a doctoral degree can open up many doors, though it is up to each person to figure out how they want to spend their time. Most will stick with the more traditional paths, though some of the most successful have found or created a niche that better suits them.

Grad school is very different from the actual day-to-day work of a licensed psychologist/academic. For as much as I complain about things like billing and the failings of our field in regard to advocacy, there are still many great things about being a psychologist and/or in academia. I'd encourage you to get in contact with some people in your program who are 3-5 years out, as they may be able to provide a helpful perspective.

First off, your post isn't annoying (at least to me), as it offers an opportunity to address a pretty common struggle for many students. As for your situation, I'd refer back to PHD12's questions about the impetus that led you down the path of graduate work in psychology. Once you flesh out your thoughts a bit more, it'd definitely be worth talking with your mentor (if they are the approachable type) or a trusted professor/other faculty. Many of us have been there (myself included, multiple times), so hopefully the person you speak to will have some experience in this area.

The doom and gloom posted on here can be tough to see/read when you are in the thick of things, though it's important to acknowledge those issues too, as it helps balance out the boundless optimism of many applicants and educate others who might benefit during/after training.

I'm not sure how far along you are, but you'll at least want to leave with a MS, though I think you'd be far better served to finish your Ph.D. (even if you do not pursue licensure). Having a doctoral degree can open up many doors, though it is up to each person to figure out how they want to spend their time. Most will stick with the more traditional paths, though some of the most successful have found or created a niche that better suits them.

Grad school is very different from the actual day-to-day work of a licensed psychologist/academic. For as much as I complain about things like billing and the failings of our field in regard to advocacy, there are still many great things about being a psychologist and/or in academia. I'd encourage you to get in contact with some people in your program who are 3-5 years out, as they may be able to provide a helpful perspective.

+1 to both of these. ^^ :thumbup:

Be careful if you decide to go the leave of absence route, however. In our program at least, the vast majority of folks do not return for whatever reason. But it may give you some space to determine what you truly want to do with your self and to remember your reasons for entering your program (and return!). You may realize that those other options you were considering aren't really worthwhile compared to what you really want to do... or maybe they are. Up to you to figure out.

And agree with T4C on the master's. You may as well stick around for your master's, so you have something to show for your work ... and this may provide you with more information re: whether it's something you do or do not want to continue. This seems to be the natural point when students disappeared around here.

A word of caution. Talking to your advisor is a good idea if you are certain that you can trust the advisor. i know of a program where expressing doubts-self or about the program-could lead to serious difficulties for the student-essentially whether purposeful or not, the program often punishes those who question or who express views that question the program or their own future in the program. The problems can stem from concerns that you may leave, which would make you less likely to be considered for opportunities that arise. An advisor may think your departure looks bad for him or her. And expressions of concern about the program could lead Profs to speculate that you are not loyal. I've seen students be asked to leave labs and isolated after expressing concerns about the program and themselves. It is best to proceed cautiously and only reveal doubts to those you trust.

A word of caution. Talking to your advisor is a good idea if you are certain that you can trust the advisor. i know of a program where expressing doubts-self or about the program-could lead to serious difficulties for the student-essentially whether purposeful or not, the program often punishes those who question or who express views that question the program or their own future in the program. The problems can stem from concerns that you may leave, which would make you less likely to be considered for opportunities that arise. An advisor may think your departure looks bad for him or her. And expressions of concern about the program could lead Profs to speculate that you are not loyal. I've seen students be asked to leave labs and isolated after expressing concerns about the program and themselves. It is best to proceed cautiously and only reveal doubts to those you trust.

Sad, but true. Good advice.

I don't know what the training's like in the States, but I think you'd be very welcome in occupational therapy, if stroke rehab etc appeals at all. And you'd be a hella leg up. Have you had any exposure to that sort of setting?

OT's a two-year master's in Canada (& it's MUCH cheaper - like $7000-10000/yr for in-province students, not all that much more for foreign ones, definitely less than in the US). Unsure about portability of licensure; I believe there are cross-border agreements. Some of the private companies recruiting for home care workers might facilitate all that.

Last edited: