It is harder to get in Pharmacy school than Dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares which program is more competitive?? It's on an individual basis. Depends on what you excelled in through college.

amen to that........

Members don't see this ad.

This thread has got to be a joke. Getting into pharmacy school is obviously much easier...
In fact a friend of mine is in pharmacy school right now. She attends Wingate's Pharmacy school and she says its easier then undergrad! then again she is very smart...never studied in undergrad and graduated with a 3.74 GPA!

Never studied with a 3.7?? sorry to throw the thread off on a tangent but, seriously, ok, now don't you think your exaggerating just a little bit?

Never studied with a 3.7?? sorry to throw the thread off on a tangent but, seriously, ok, now don't you think your exaggerating just a little bit?

I guess she meant that her friend studied very little, which is quite possible if that person was still in her freshmen/sophomore year and had taken some key AP classes in high school. That person could've also taken a few or very easy classes each quarter/semester. Getting a high GPA is not a difficult thing even for mediocre students if they know how to manipulate the system.

Members don't see this ad :)
How, exactly, do you manipulate the system?

As already stated in here probably a billion times, totally school and person dependent.

I am new Pharmacy student at Rutgers University straight from high school. At the risk of sounding obnoxious, it has a reputation of a difficult admissions process.

I got into a pharmacy school in New Orleans, La this fall. The stats for the previous year were:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
  • 1112 applications
  • 667 applications from Louisiana
  • 160 were accepted
  • Cut-Off GPA was 2.5
  • Average GPA was 3.10
I looks like cake from the GPA prospective, but I know people who don't get in for certain reasons. For example, a person I know who is a Caucasian male had to apply 3 times and transfer to their university to earn his bachelors. It took three years and thousands of dollars just to get in.

The other school in Louisiana took only 92 students this year, which is dramatically lower historically speaking. People with 3.8's didn't get in! (for certain reasons, too)

2007 stats for Louisiana pharmacy schools:

Xavier University of Louisiana
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2007 Applicant Statistics:
  • Approximately 1000 applications
  • 160 were accepted
  • Cut-Off GPA was 2.5
  • Average GPA was 3.20
.University of Louisiana at Monroe
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2007 Applicant Statistics:
  • Approximately 300 applicants met all requirements
  • Approximately 190 students were interviewed (two for every one slot available)
  • 95 students were accepted
  • Average GPA was 3.6
  • Average PCAT score was in the 70th percentile (National Average score is between 82-84th
I wish they would have stated the number of baccalaureate students who were accepted into pharmacy school. I have a bachelor's degree from a four-year university. Two years at a community college my a-s-s...

(LSU's pre-pharm website)

LSU dental school's stats:
170-200 applicants (not applications) per year
60 students get accepted
three years of college is sufficient to gain acceptance, but it isn't considered competitive (It depends on who you know I guess.)
average GPA is 3.4
average DAT score is 18.5

(LSU dental school's website)

Last edited:
Hell no. I know a chick that didn't even finish her bachelor's but applied, and was accepted to some pharmacy school with a GPA of 3.12. I originally intended to do the same (ie apply to dental school without a bachelor's) but found out 1. your GPA must be godlike, and 2. the chances of being accepted without a bachelor's are like winning the lottery. So instead of me now applying to dental school at 19, I will be applying at 20...it really infuriates me. :mad:

EDIT-- And oh, to be honest, I think any ***** could get into pharmacy/law school. I have yet to meet an undergrad with a GPA of over 3.25 that was actually rejected. Maybe that explains why their salaries are on average, much lower. All this said, I'd like to see one of these guys apply to Med/dental schools with such a GPA. I think the application would be returned to the applicant via mail with the words "YOU'RE A *******" stamped in bold-red.

Last edited:
Hell no. I know a chick that didn't even finish her bachelor's but applied, and was accepted to some pharmacy school with a GPA of 3.12. I originally intended to do the same (ie apply to dental school without a bachelor's) but found out 1. your GPA must be godlike, and 2. the chances of being accepted without a bachelor's are like winning the lottery. So instead of me now applying to dental school at 19, I will be applying at 20...it really infuriates me. :mad:

EDIT-- And oh, to be honest, I think any ***** could get into pharmacy/law school. I have yet to meet an undergrad with a GPA of over 3.25 that was actually rejected. Maybe that explains why their salaries are on average, much lower. All this said, I'd like to see one of these guys apply to Med/dental schools with such a GPA. I think the application would be returned to the applicant via mail with the words "YOU'RE A *******" stamped in bold-red.
Thanks for giving me a reason to report you. I haven't had to report anyone in a while...

I recently got accepted as a transfer student to Wilkes University which is a small private school located up north pennsylvania. I spoke to the pharmacy advisor to the school and she told me that just last year their pharmacy school only accepted 4 of their own students into pharmacy and the lowest GPA was a 3.8, so you tell me that's not competitive. I'm shocked to hear that some of you people actually know people that get into pharmacy school with a GPA under 3.5. I don't know any school that has standards that low, but I do know that Wilkes graduating class only accepts 65 total students and the first ones that get a shot at these seats are students fresh out of highschool. From the sounds of it I am a little concerned with trying to get into their pharmacy school, because it sounds like you have to get damn there perfect grades to get a seat!

This is the same as everyone else, its a very small sample. Take a really good school and give averages means nothing. Law is not hard to get into because Yale law school had an average of 3.9 yeah well shut the hell up.

I recently got accepted as a transfer student to Wilkes University which is a small private school located up north pennsylvania. I spoke to the pharmacy advisor to the school and she told me that just last year their pharmacy school only accepted 4 of their own students into pharmacy and the lowest GPA was a 3.8, so you tell me that's not competitive. I'm shocked to hear that some of you people actually know people that get into pharmacy school with a GPA under 3.5. I don't know any school that has standards that low, but I do know that Wilkes graduating class only accepts 65 total students and the first ones that get a shot at these seats are students fresh out of highschool. From the sounds of it I am a little concerned with trying to get into their pharmacy school, because it sounds like you have to get damn there perfect grades to get a seat!

I have to agree that vet is the hardest, also because the insurance is much lower as are lawsuits etc.

I think it depends on the pharmacy school. For example, at Rutgers in NJ the pharmacy school is extremely competitive and you get in after high school. It's almost impossible to get in if you're already in college and transfer.

Totally disagree.

It is true that there are only few vet schools but, competition is only high because of a lot of underqualified applicants.

avg gpa of people who get into vet school is only 3.4-3.6

whatever the best vet school in u.s. is, try to compare it school to harvard med school. do you still think vet school's harder to get into than med school?

1.med 2.vet & dent 3.Pharm 4.podi

Status
Not open for further replies.