It is not fair for the 5 years rule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucla2134

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!
After reading "Aborting my acceptance", i'm super worry. My situation is no difference than that person. I personally think 5 years is not a long time if you are a science major. There are tons of science classes to take. I took my G chem and Ohem during my first year in 2002 (I took 2 G chem classes in summer). Now after reading that post, im in depressed. :(
I want to ask you guys that does every school follow within 5 years rule?

In my opinion, that's not the case to every dental school right? Because there are people who got phD before getting into dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys!
After reading "Aborting my acceptance", i'm super worry. My situation is no difference than that person. I personally think 5 years is not a long time if you are a science major. There are tons of science classes to take. I took my G chem and Ohem during my first year in 2002 (I took 2 G chem classes in summer). Now after reading that post, im in depressed. :(

In my opinion, that's not the case to every dental school right? Because there are people who got phD before getting into dental school?

+pity+

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, those are some heartless responses!

Anyway, no, not all schools have a 5 year rule. Most schools seem excited to have non-traditional students who have done advanced work in the sciences. I don't know about your situation, but the OP of the "aborting my acceptance" thread probably would be a highly coveted candidate at most other schools.

In short, I wouldn't worry, but I'd also recommend calling your top choices. The peace of mind you'll get will be worth the 5 minutes on the phone.

Hi Guys!

Don't worry about it. If you took gen chem in 2001 and applied for 2007 they aren't too worried. they only have that rule if you took your prerecs in the 1970's and are returning to school. you will be fine, trust me. a lot of people I know who got into dental school did the 5 year college thing and it was never brought up. GL :) :) :) :luck::luck:

Wow, those are some heartless responses!

Anyway, no, not all schools have a 5 year rule. Most schools seem excited to have non-traditional students who have done advanced work in the sciences. I don't know about your situation, but the OP of the "aborting my acceptance" thread probably would be a highly coveted candidate at most other schools.

In short, I wouldn't worry, but I'd also recommend calling your top choices. The peace of mind you'll get will be worth the 5 minutes on the phone.

:rolleyes:

Hi Guys!

+pity+:smuggrin:

I don't know about your situation, but the OP of the "aborting my acceptance" thread probably would be a highly coveted candidate at most other schools.

read the entire thread, that was the only school he/she got into.

Loma Linda is the only school I'm aware of that has this requirement. Yes, they are very specific about the requirement. They also make you swear off caffeine, alcohol, and moral decay while at their school. I didn't see the five year requirement anywhere else I applied. If you are worried-call the specific school you are thinking about, or check their website.

I believe I saw that rule on more than one school website. But check out the requirements for yourself so you can be sure.

If anything the 5 yr rule is in the minority. I graduated from college in 2002 (prereqs in 1998-2000), then went into an MS program (graduated in 2004), then worked for 2 years before reapplying. I applied to about 9 schools and the only problem I had was with Maryland who told me that even though I tested out of taking English 101 and was placed into 201, as a technicality I would have to go back and take 101. I wasn't about to do that. The other 8 schools were fine. I received a few interviews and was accepted Dec 1 before I pulled my other apps. You are fine. Good luck.

I'm going to have to interject and go ahead and say that 5 years IS probably a good cutoff. If you think about it, the general concepts and ideas remain the same for the sciences; but every year textbooks become outdated with new and/or disproved findings. I had a brand new immunochem book that had to be replaced the following year because there were so many "updates." There are just so many new things happening in the medical and science fields. With this, it's obvious that dental schools want "cutting edge" students. If you're not up-to-date as a student, then you become exponentially less attractive as an applicant.

+pity+

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to have to interject and go ahead and say that 5 years IS probably a good cutoff. If you think about it, the general concepts and ideas remain the same for the sciences; but every year textbooks become outdated with new and/or disproved findings. I had a brand new immunochem book that had to be replaced the following year because there were so many "updates." There are just so many new things happening in the medical and science fields. With this, it's obvious that dental schools want "cutting edge" students. If you're not up-to-date as a student, then you become exponentially less attractive as an applicant.

+pity+

Disagree. I took my prereqs over 5 years ago, but in science MS programs trust me, they make sure you keep up on current scientific research and modifications a hundred times more than in undergrad. Besides,in gen chem, physics, bio and orgo...what they teach you is SOOO fundamental that not all that much changes. The basic unit of life is still a cell, Carbon still has the same atomic # etc. By your estimation, no dentist in practice should be qualified in the basic sciences because they haven't taken BASIC sciences in 8-40 years. I'm sorry, but that's a pretty lame argument.

+pity+

I think you are so wrong. Im at UCLA for 5 years, and my biochem instructor never change or update her reader. When i ask her can i use the reader for the last 3 or 4 quarters, she said that "the only thing that i change there is my ofiice hour and the hour of the midterm. I don't care what year you get as long as you must have the reader."
I think that hold true for alsp physics,chem, orgo

+pity+

your obviously not talking about chemistry...which when i took part one in 98 they were using the 3rd edition and when i took chem 2 in 06, they were using the 7th edition and the only thing that was changed was the cover, and it looked like the publisher ran the spell checker....problems were ALL the same, just different numbers....lol "cutting edge students".:laugh:

dude who started the post...just check the schools your applying too, and leave the completion of the prerequ in 5 years to your "cutting edge" classmates, if anything, you score well on the dat in a section that you took 6-7 years ago...then your freaking AWESOME

Not only have the textbooks not changed but the Kaplan materials haven't changed in over five years. The cover changes but the rest is just recycled, repackaged, and resold.

Fundamental sciences taught in intro classes in undergrad haven't changed much in over twenty or thirty years. Take for example Physics - not tested on the DAT, but required for many dental schools. Physics texts don't mention anyone that has died in the most recent three hundred years until you get to quantum theory in the last two weeks of the class. Archimedes, Newton, etc consume the bulk of the first year sequence.

The point, the content of the class is largely unchanged over a long period of time but the student's recall of materials could be largely changed within five years. I recommend good review materials and practices. Check the d-school website for their specific requirements before you apply.

your obviously not talking about chemistry...which when i took part one in 98 they were using the 3rd edition and when i took chem 2 in 06, they were using the 7th edition and the only thing that was changed was the cover, and it looked like the publisher ran the spell checker....problems were ALL the same, just different numbers....lol "cutting edge students".:laugh:

Ha! They just change the numbering of problem questions so you have to buy the new book. Most of my profs assigned problem sets by question number, so if you didn't have the current edition, you couldn't know which questions they wanted answered! Those bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling!

Not only have the textbooks not changed but the Kaplan materials haven't changed in over five years. The cover changes but the rest is just recycled, repackaged, and resold.

Fundamental sciences taught in intro classes in undergrad haven't changed much in over twenty or thirty years. Take for example Physics - not tested on the DAT, but required for many dental schools. Physics texts don't mention anyone that has died in the most recent three hundred years until you get to quantum theory in the last two weeks of the class. Archimedes, Newton, etc consume the bulk of the first year sequence.

The point, the content of the class is largely unchanged over a long period of time but the student's recall of materials could be largely changed within five years. I recommend good review materials and practices. Check the d-school website for their specific requirements before you apply.

Ya but isn't that why they have a 2-3 year limit on the dat, even if you took the pre-reqs a long time ago you still had to have written the dat relatively recently and that would provide a thorough review. Having a 5 year limit on basic science courses doesn't make much sense.

Please.

5 years ago I didn't even believe in gravity.

Man has my world changed since then!

Know what else sucks about the 5 year rule - it doesn't work the other way. Meaning I took gen chem 1 when I was a freshman in college in 1996 (WAY more than 5 years ago) and got a B-. I did a post bacc program 2004-2006 and re-took gen chem as part of the post bacc. Problem is that they averaged my A the second time around with my B- I got a decade ago. It's not a huge deal for me, but still annoying.

5 year rule is stupid.. make a 1 year rule on DATs and remove the 5 year rule.. how about that?

Please.

5 years ago I didn't even believe in gravity.

Man has my world changed since then!

LOL:laugh:

and 5 years ago...9 planets, yep and when astronomy gets on the DAT, people who took it in 2004 are screwed!!!!

I think the 5 year thing is a bit harsh because not everyone knows they want to be a dentist right off the bat. Anyhow, it is our responsibility to find out about the school's requirements and fullfil it. I suppose that is why most DAT prep resources all tell the applicant to "Find out the specific requirements for each school you want to apply to."

i was reading a local college catalog and it was also talking about for credits that taken more than 5 years ago is not acceptable. so i think the 5 years credit rule applied to many schools.

for that reason, i had to take my g-chem for the 3rd time at this winter. at first the college blocked my registration but after i talk to the dean about the 5 year rule, she grant the registration immediately.

but seriously, can you remember things you learned 5 year ago? lol i cannot

+pity+

It is a good cutoff if the person is not continuing education in science. 5 yrs is a while considering that a single semester is normally ample to forget the majority of what you learned in said class. The point is to have an informed and current dental class when they start school.

True not everyone knows they want to be a dentist right off the bat. But the vast majority do. You can't just bump what works as a reasonable cutoff for about everyone back to cater to a select few especially when those who decide to do dental more than 5 yrs after their undergrad will most likely not remember their course material.

This 5-year rule is really lame!!! If you score well on the DAT that should tell the schools that you remember your stuff. What's the big deal??