It looks like the dental schools just had a spike in avg. gpa...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asuhdds

Bootstraps
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a pre-dent student my overall gpa thus far (not including my winter quarter) is about 3.17, and my science gpa is a 3.0.

This year has truly been a turn around year, ever since summer (2 courses) I've been posting about an avg 3.7, and I look to do around 3.5 or better for my winter quarter.

Anyways I've been looking up the avg gpas of those accepted at dental schools and it really looks like the scores have skyrocketed in the past 2 years.

I think UOP had an avg gpa of like 3.2 a year or 2 ago, and now their avg gpa for the class this year is like 3.5.

My question is... if I apply my 4th year with an overall GPA of 3.5 would I have a chance at say UCLA? Currently I just got an internship with an orthodontist, cancer research with an oncologist which would guarentee a publication or 2, sunday school teacher and camp counselor, volunteer at a dental school, volunteer at a clinic, a leadership position in an IFC fraternity, and divest from sudan club.

Do I have a fightin chance?

I'm getting more worried... the reason why I'm shooting for UCLA is because I'm from the area and I don't want to leave my girlfriend... lawl if you want.

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely have a chance. You are right that the average GPA for dental schools has risen dramatically recent, but a 3.5 is still a very competitive score. I'm not sure how competitive it is for UCLA but I do know that some students here on SDN that are matriculating at UCLA have a 3.7+ GPA and 20+ DAT. It seems to be a very competitive school to get into.

Good luck.

darn, i have to bust my ass then these next 2 years...

I really wish I was focused my first year instead of just.. languishing and not giving a damn.

ahh well, that's the past now and i can't do anything about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just keep in the back of your mind that many people on this site are a bunch of liars. Subtract a standard deviation from any number people post.

darn, i have to bust my ass then these next 2 years...

I really wish I was focused my first year instead of just.. languishing and not giving a damn.

ahh well, that's the past now and i can't do anything about that.

Yea i have the same woes from my freshman year: 4 credits of F and 4 of C, takes a big chunk out of my science gpa. I still got in this year with a 22 on the DAT and a sci gpa now of 3.11. Barely got in i guess. UCLA would be harder tho, their averages are high.

Just keep in the back of your mind that many people on this site are a bunch of liars. Subtract a standard deviation from any number people post.

you shouldnt generalize like that, maybe some ppl are lying but the vast majority are truthful. your fooling yourself if you think that its not getting competitive to get into dental school. at virtually all my interviews the schools commented on the higher stats of the applicant pool this year.

you shouldnt generalize like that, maybe some ppl are lying but the vast majority are truthful. your fooling yourself if you think that its not getting competitive to get into dental school. at virtually all my interviews the schools commented on the higher stats of the applicant pool this year.

From what I have been reading on this forum, and old post, it seems that they say that every year. True the stats go up a little it every year, but it has never been anything dramatic. It just seems like something the admin have gotten use to saying.

sampling of students attending Columbia according to Predents.com jumped from 3.4 avg GPA to 3.75ish :eek:

I'm so glad I applied last year.

Schools have had a huge spike in avg gpa and dat over the past few years and it is a shame because I think it is actually contributing to a decline in the quality of dentists. Yes there are those who have great personalitys and great GPA's but there are so many clueless money hungry individuals going in to dentistry thinking they will be successful with their terrible personalities...they are in for a shocker in a few years. On the other hand though I just looks at it as less competition for me in a few years when I start working :laugh:

Schools have had a huge spike in avg gpa and dat over the past few years and it is a shame because I think it is actually contributing to a decline in the quality of dentists. Yes there are those who have great personalitys and great GPA's but there are so many clueless money hungry individuals going in to dentistry thinking they will be successful with their terrible personalities...they are in for a shocker in a few years. On the other hand though I just looks at it as less competition for me in a few years when I start working :laugh:

I don't understand what you mean. Are you correlating strong stat applicants with money hungry terrible personalities? Because that really isnt logical. "Money hungry applicants" are attracted to the profession because of the lifestyle...i don't see how a higher stats average contributes to it. "terrible" people can be either low stats and high stat applicants. the higher stats average if anything will filter out those looking for an easy buck in a good profession. Seems to me like your suggesting the spike in average stats suggest more terrible people coming in to the profession...whereas in reality it just means dental school is becoming more competitive. Another illogical point is that terrible personalities will equal less competition in the future. Who says a money loving dentist will not be successful?

I'll keep it simple...There are more "herbs" entering dentistry now than 10 years ago. Majority of these "herbs" lack in the communication department and will struggle in clinic and in the future interacting with patients. These "herbs" typically wanted to go to med school but heard from a friend or the internet that dentists hardly work and make all this money. So now these "herbs" decide to go in to dentistry instead of medicine, BUT what they don't realize is that to be successful in dentistry one of the most important features is to have a great personality and great communication skills. Take a look at some of the higher stat dental schools and compare their 1st year students to some of their GPR's and 3rd and 4th year students. It is evident that the number of "herbs" entering dentistry is growing fast. Yes you will develop your skills during the years of dental school but some of these "herbs" are hopeless and should of stuck to medicine where they would have had patients because medicine is so dictated by insurance people have no choice but to see a "herb" as their MD. The only hope I see for these "herbs" are in chop shops in large cities or if Wal-Mart starts opening dental clinics (Which may be soon possible with the excess flood of "herbs" to dental schools)

herb
1. (noun) Nerd; dork; geek; generally uncool person. Originated in early 1980s Burger King ad campaign in which a nerd named HERB was featured.

I'll keep it simple...There are more "herbs" entering dentistry now than 10 years ago. Majority of these "herbs" lack in the communication department and will struggle in clinic and in the future interacting with patients. These "herbs" typically wanted to go to med school but heard from a friend or the internet that dentists hardly work and make all this money. So now these "herbs" decide to go in to dentistry instead of medicine, BUT what they don't realize is that to be successful in dentistry one of the most important features is to have a great personality and great communication skills. Take a look at some of the higher stat dental schools and compare their 1st year students to some of their GPR's and 3rd and 4th year students. It is evident that the number of "herbs" entering dentistry is growing fast. Yes you will develop your skills during the years of dental school but some of these "herbs" are hopeless and should of stuck to medicine where they would have had patients because medicine is so dictated by insurance people have no choice but to see a "herb" as their MD. The only hope I see for these “herbs” are in chop shops in large cities or if Wal-Mart starts opening dental clinics (Which may be soon possible with the excess flood of “herbs” to dental schools)

herb
1. (noun) Nerd; dork; geek; generally uncool person. Originated in early 1980s Burger King ad campaign in which a nerd named HERB was featured.

You're basing all of this on the assumption that all people with high stats have terrible communication skills and bad personalities. Furthermore, you're equating those with low stats to have shining personalities and brilliant communication skills. Both of these assumptions are just that, assumptions. I don't know where you're pulling this stuff from but it simply isn't true.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll keep it simple...There are more "herbs" entering dentistry now than 10 years ago. Majority of these "herbs" lack in the communication department and will struggle in clinic and in the future interacting with patients. These "herbs" typically wanted to go to med school but heard from a friend or the internet that dentists hardly work and make all this money. So now these "herbs" decide to go in to dentistry instead of medicine, BUT what they don't realize is that to be successful in dentistry one of the most important features is to have a great personality and great communication skills. Take a look at some of the higher stat dental schools and compare their 1st year students to some of their GPR's and 3rd and 4th year students. It is evident that the number of "herbs" entering dentistry is growing fast. Yes you will develop your skills during the years of dental school but some of these "herbs" are hopeless and should of stuck to medicine where they would have had patients because medicine is so dictated by insurance people have no choice but to see a "herb" as their MD. The only hope I see for these “herbs” are in chop shops in large cities or if Wal-Mart starts opening dental clinics (Which may be soon possible with the excess flood of “herbs” to dental schools)

herb

I agree, usually people with extremely high gpas are the ones that do nothing but study. They spend more time with books than with other people. So interacting with others is not something they are good at. But I do believe that dental schools do look at the whole package and thats why they want to see more than just gpa.
If someone can manage high marks, a social life, ec activities etc than I think they will be succesful. If on the other hand you have only book-smart nerds who are entering then I don't think they wil be very succesful in terms of interacting, connecting with the patient.

From what I have been reading on this forum, and old post, it seems that they say that every year. True the stats go up a little it every year, but it has never been anything dramatic. It just seems like something the admin have gotten use to saying.

true they always seem to go up a little, but last year's entering class (the stats that were jsut recently released) definitely saw a sharp increase in all numbers.

I'll keep it simple...There are more "herbs" entering dentistry now than 10 years ago. Majority of these "herbs" lack in the communication department and will struggle in clinic and in the future interacting with patients. These "herbs" typically wanted to go to med school but heard from a friend or the internet that dentists hardly work and make all this money. So now these "herbs" decide to go in to dentistry instead of medicine, BUT what they don't realize is that to be successful in dentistry one of the most important features is to have a great personality and great communication skills. Take a look at some of the higher stat dental schools and compare their 1st year students to some of their GPR's and 3rd and 4th year students. It is evident that the number of "herbs" entering dentistry is growing fast. Yes you will develop your skills during the years of dental school but some of these "herbs" are hopeless and should of stuck to medicine where they would have had patients because medicine is so dictated by insurance people have no choice but to see a "herb" as their MD. The only hope I see for these "herbs" are in chop shops in large cities or if Wal-Mart starts opening dental clinics (Which may be soon possible with the excess flood of "herbs" to dental schools)

herb

hmm... wow, that's quite a mind you have! and yes, you have most definitely kept it simple.:rolleyes:

I'll keep it simple...There are more "herbs" entering dentistry now than 10 years ago. Majority of these "herbs" lack in the communication department and will struggle in clinic and in the future interacting with patients. These "herbs" typically wanted to go to med school but heard from a friend or the internet that dentists hardly work and make all this money...

smells like a troll.

I agree, usually people with extremely high gpas are the ones that do nothing but study. They spend more time with books than with other people. So interacting with others is not something they are good at. But I do believe that dental schools do look at the whole package and thats why they want to see more than just gpa.
If someone can manage high marks, a social life, ec activities etc than I think they will be succesful. If on the other hand you have only book-smart nerds who are entering then I don't think they wil be very succesful in terms of interacting, connecting with the patient.

Usually people with high gpas are ones that do nothing but study? Wow..this is a terribly ignorant blanket statement.

Usually people with high gpas are ones that do nothing but study? Wow..this is a terribly ignorant blanket statement.

everyone knows trolls have great communication skills and make the best dentists :laugh:

I've seen plenty of people who have incredibly high gpas and are totaly socially inept. They could not be more socially akward. Unless you are freakin genius you won't have time to get that much studying done and have plenty of time for other activites.
How is it ignorant? you carry a full course load heavy in the sciences you are school crazy hours with labs, lectures, tutorials etc and that doesn't leave much time for anything else.

everyone knows trolls have great communication skills and make the best dentists :laugh:

I must give credit to the trolls. If it wasn't for them, SDN wouldn't be as addicting as it is now.

Wraith has such an award winning personality dont you think?

How is it ignorant? you carry a full course load heavy in the sciences you are school crazy hours with labs, lectures, tutorials etc and that doesn't leave much time for anything else.

Looks like someone knows what it's like not to have free time. :D

Looks like someone knows what it's like not to have free time. :D

That would be true if I was aiming for a 4.0, but the hell with that, life is too short so I opted for doing something more fun with my time!

I've seen plenty of people who have incredibly high gpas and are totaly socially inept. They could not be more socially akward. Unless you are freakin genius you won't have time to get that much studying done and have plenty of time for other activites.

communication skills are very important in dentistry, but also keep in mind that we will be healthcare professionals. how can you make it though dental school (at least the first two years) without being able to study and the learning doesnt stop after school. dentistry is always changing and to be a good dentist you must be a student of dentistry for the duration of your career. if you are not committed to learning in college (as evidenced by a low gpa) why should dental schools believe that this will change once youre in dental school or out in practice?

and just because the people you know with high gpas may be socially inept, do not think that all people with high gpas have no social skills. like that one mods signature says "the plural of anecdote is not fact".

like that one mods signature says "the plural of anecdote is not fact".

And that is precisely why it was a terribly ignorant blanket statement.

communication skills are very important in dentistry, but also keep in mind that we will be healthcare professionals. how can you make it though dental school (at least the first two years) without being able to study and the learning doesnt stop after school. dentistry is always changing and to be a good dentist you must be a student of dentistry for the duration of your career. if you are not committed to learning in college (as evidenced by a low gpa) why should dental schools believe that this will change once your in school or out in practice?

and just because the people you know with high gpas may be socially inept, do not think that all people with high gpas have no social skills. like that one mods signature says "the plural of anecdote is not fact".

I think you misunderstood me, I was referring to ppl with very high gpas, like 4 and above. Of course you can't be a ******* and get Cs consistently and expect to get in and be a good dentist. I think someone with say a 3.5 gpa is not going to be any worse in terms of learning and studying than someone with a much higer gpa. The person with the lower gpa would probably have more time to experience more, to be able to relate more with other people etc. Now of course I made a generalization, but you cannot disagree that the higher your grades, the more time you need to spend study, the less you can do of other things.
My main point in agreeing with the above "troll" was that incredibly high gpa might not be the predictor of your abilities as a dentist. Having said that i do not believe that its these "nerds" who are getting accepted to dental school. Adcoms look for a lot more than just gpa, I think with increasing competition more and more better applicants are applying. Those that have amazing marks and lots of ec activities.

where do people come up with the idea that people with high GPAs and test scores are going to be less able to communicate, etc?

there are people who are book smart w/o interpersonal skills, and vice versa. umm.. but there ARE people who have the whole package!

guess what? you NEED BOTH in this more competitive environment. don't try and excuse your lack of one trait by saying you have the other, and the other's more important. there are enough people in this world with both who'll leave anyone who just complains in the dust. get over it :p

I think you misunderstood me, I was referring to ppl with very high gpas, like 4 and above. Of course you can't be a ******* and get Cs consistently and expect to get in and be a good dentist. I think someone with say a 3.5 gpa is not going to be any worse in terms of learning and studying than someone with a much higer gpa. The person with the lower gpa would probably have more time to experience more, to be able to relate more with other people etc. Now of course I made a generalization, but you cannot disagree that the higher your grades, the more time you need to spend study, the less you can do of other things.
My main point in agreeing with the above "troll" was that incredibly high gpa might not be the predictor of your abilities as a dentist. Having said that i do not believe that its these "nerds" who are getting accepted to dental school. Adcoms look for a lot more than just gpa, I think with increasing competition more and more better applicants are applying. Those that have amazing marks and lots of ec activities.

i agree... getting accepted is based on more than just grades and DATs. the interview is probably the most important part. grades and DATs will get you an interview but if you lack the social skills to succeed in dentistry, chances are you wont get in.

In the grand scheme of things, nerds rule the world. Big strong men become construction workers. Think about it:idea:

However, women like big strong men. Evolution hasn't caught up yet. . .

Work hard play hard. Not everyone in dental school has a 4.0 or above...The ones who are "dorks" or "nerds" are nerds and dorks regardless of how well they perform. They can spend all their time watching anime. So no the higher the gpa doesn't mean a compromised social life. A high gpa may not be a predicator of dental success...but it can't suggest the opposite either. Also, those getting accepted in dental school must have more on their application than stats. theres also the interview to show social adequacy.

EVERYONE- log off SDN & head down to your nearest pub. it's freakin st. pattys day:luck: :luck:

jb!:)

ps- good luck to those still waiting for that one acceptance. i'm going to drink one for US! :luck:

I don't think we have a different point of view, I agree good grade doesnt necessarily means bad interpersonal skills and vice versa. I do not think that all people with high gpas are just like those nerds depicted in saved by the bell!
Regardless I think we can all agree that this trend towards higher marks and more competition can only serve to improve the profession and only those who really want to practice dentistry will pursue it.

You would be shocked at the ******s they let in these days...And I mean ****** in the sense that they have no personality or communication skills. Also why does having a 3.9 GPA and a 21 DAT make you a better dentist than the guy who got in 10-15 years ago with a 3.0 GPA and a 16 DAT? If you have the drive anyone can make it through d-school the material is not hard.

dmd2011...wait till you get in d-school you will see what I'm talking about. I agree there are a handful of students that can have a 4.0 and still have a great personality/comm. skills but they are few and far between.

Hello, I'm a pre-dent student my overall gpa thus far (not including my winter quarter) is about 3.17, and my science gpa is a 3.0.

This year has truly been a turn around year, ever since summer (2 courses) I've been posting about an avg 3.7, and I look to do around 3.5 or better for my winter quarter.

Anyways I've been looking up the avg gpas of those accepted at dental schools and it really looks like the scores have skyrocketed in the past 2 years.

I think UOP had an avg gpa of like 3.2 a year or 2 ago, and now their avg gpa for the class this year is like 3.5.

My question is... if I apply my 4th year with an overall GPA of 3.5 would I have a chance at say UCLA? Currently I just got an internship with an orthodontist, cancer research with an oncologist which would guarentee a publication or 2, sunday school teacher and camp counselor, volunteer at a dental school, volunteer at a clinic, a leadership position in an IFC fraternity, and divest from sudan club.

Do I have a fightin chance?

I'm getting more worried... the reason why I'm shooting for UCLA is because I'm from the area and I don't want to leave my girlfriend... lawl if you want.

I think you definitely have a chance. You should just be focusing on keeping your gpa up until you apply. Stay focused and you'll be alright.

dmd2011...wait till you get in d-school you will see what I'm talking about. I agree there are a handful of students that can have a 4.0 and still have a great personality/comm. skills but they are few and far between.

i'll be sure to get an official "herb" count for my class and report back to you. :laugh:

You would be shocked at the ******s they let in these days...And I mean ****** in the sense that they have no personality or communication skills. Also why does having a 3.9 GPA and a 21 DAT make you a better dentist than the guy who got in 10-15 years ago with a 3.0 GPA and a 16 DAT? If you have the drive anyone can make it through d-school the material is not hard.

yeah... totally agree. d-schools need to stop accepting these losers with high GPAs, high DAT scores, and a proven work-ethic. there should be a 3.4 and 18 maximum cut off. the student's who drank their way through college cause they wanted to develop their social skills... those are the ones they need to accept. right, man? i mean, like... d-school is different from undergrad... just cause you didn't try hard in undergrad doesn't mean that you wouldn't like... totally... like.. try hard in dental school and stuff. besides, d-school is mad easy anyways, yo.

also, they should accept more people who throw around words like ******. cause those people are really smart.

Actually I understand the posters who argue that very high gpas correlate with poorer social skills.

At my school there's a strrrroooong tendency for the high-powered gpa killers to be the timid introverted types. Outside of class I don't really associate with many of my pre-health peers, not because I choose not to, but because I can't hold a decent non-academic/career based conversation with them. Like they were born humorless or without social or small talk skills.

It's not like all students with high gpas are that way but I'd say at my school it's the majority.

But how else can the dental schools choose their candidates besides the gpa and dat? I'd like for them to take a more holistic approach but that's not without its shortcomings.

I just pray that my scores would be enough to get an interview; Not to be conceited or cocky but I feel my social skills are my forte. Now my academic skills.....

i'll be sure to get an official "herb" count for my class and report back to you. :laugh:

The guys I met who are named "Herb" are actually some of the nicest and most unassuming individuals I've met. Not to say that all Herb's are like that. But I certainly wouldn't use herb to describe someone with no social skills.

Actually I understand the posters who argue that very high gpas correlate with poorer social skills.

At my school there's a strrrroooong tendency for the high-powered gpa killers to be the timid introverted types. Outside of class I don't really associate with many of my pre-health peers, not because I choose not to, but because I can't hold a decent non-academic/career based conversation with them. Like they were born humorless or without social or small talk skills.

It's not like all students with high gpas are that way but I'd say at my school it's the majority.

But how else can the dental schools choose their candidates besides the gpa and dat? I'd like for them to take a more holistic approach but that's not without its shortcomings.

I just pray that my scores would be enough to get an interview; Not to be conceited or cocky but I feel my social skills are my forte. Now my academic skills.....

gpa and DATs arent the only things adcoms take into consideration. they also look at activities and the interview where they can take into account social skills but it is important to be successful academically to handle the rigors of dental school. im like you... most of my friends are not pre health people and i have always felt like it gave me a good balance. i just dont agree with the other posts in this thread that all ppl with high gpas are socially inept and that grades are not an important predictor of success in dental school or as a dentist.

But I certainly wouldn't use herb to describe someone with no social skills.

neither would i, i was just poking fun at our trollish friend Wraith who first coined the term in this thread.

I guess I was writing to the wrong crowd since there seems to be a large number of herbs on this forum. You guys are in for a shocker if they accept your lame asses to d-school. Step away from your computer, go drink some beers and find some pu$$y you f a g g o t s.

I guess I was writing to the wrong crowd since there seems to be a large number of herbs on this forum. You guys are in for a shocker if they accept your lame asses to d-school. Step away from your computer, go drink some beers and find some pu$$y you f a g g o t s.

:laugh: :laugh:. I guess this thread needs to be closed.

I'm pretty sure most of us have been accepted already. :D

the avg gpas of those accepted at dental schools and it really looks like the scores have skyrocketed in the past 2 years. . .would I have a chance at say UCLA?

Hard work is key. Try to ace your DATs and boost up your extracurriculars. You still have a fighting chance.

:laugh: :laugh:. I guess this thread needs to be closed.

Because of one person?

I'm pretty sure most of us have been accepted already. :D

I agree. But I'm sure there are lots of others who haven't and are waiting and I'm sure deserve to get in. Again, hard work is key.