Sivastraba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
I am not trying to whine/complain about how bad I have it during this year. However, I sometimes get tired of having to deal with everybodies crap. I have had patients, nurses, and attendings yell at me, and I NEVER file a complaint with any one. I just suck it up as a man. However, nurses sometimes don't realize that when your doing long call (27 hours), and they come up to you on your 22nd hour to tell you that a patient has a K of 3.8, you are going to become irritated and not answer back in a polite way. Next thing I know they filed a complaint against me, about my "rude" attitude, and not having the pt's best interest in mind? (WTF?) Excuse me, but I get to the hospital at 5:30-6AM and don't get out of the hospital until the next day at 10AM. These night shif nurses come it at 9-10PM and leave next morning at 6-7AM (They come in 16 hours after I have startend and leave 3 hours before me). I am really sick of dealing with this bullcrap. Any suggestions? Some of you will say to just quit.

Shah_Patel_PT

MD
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I am not trying to whine/complain about how bad I have it during this year. However, I sometimes get tired of having to deal with everybodies crap. I have had patients, nurses, and attendings yell at me, and I NEVER file a complaint with any one. I just suck it up as a man. However, nurses sometimes don't realize that when your doing long call (27 hours), and they come up to you on your 22nd hour to tell you that a patient has a K of 3.8, you are going to become irritated and not answer back in a polite way. Next thing I know they filed a complaint against me, about my "rude" attitude, and not having the pt's best interest in mind? (WTF?) Excuse me, but I get to the hospital at 5:30-6AM and don't get out of the hospital until the next day at 10AM. These night shif nurses come it at 9-10PM and leave next morning at 6-7AM (They come in 16 hours after I have startend and leave 3 hours before me). I am really sick of dealing with this bullcrap. Any suggestions? Some of you will say to just quit.

Are you in a community hospital or large university program?

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2001
messymedic.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
hey man, don't quit. Intern year is not meant to be pleasant for anyone. It gets better (supposedly) so just stick the year out. However, if you find people complaining against you, maybe look a little introspectively and ask yourself if you aren't being a little too hostile/disinterested and maybe make a special effort (I know, argh!) to turn on the charm and at least pretend to people that you really do care about the hot flashes the nurses are getting. But keep at it, you won't be an intern for too much longer.

About the Ads

kidneydoc

10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
:( :( :(

Unfortunetly my friend I felt exactly the same as you do when I was an intern and a resident and now even that I practice. I do not believe it is going any better after. In internship you have long hours then in real practice it is the same.If you work for yourself you have to and if you work for somebody they exploite you.My advice is find a speciality where you can rest: opthalmo or dermato or find friends you open a practice with and share the load of work and call.Otherwise life sucks and this is why physicians are all bournt out and drop dead of heart attacks!

Regarding the attitude problem as physicians you are watched and there is no tolerance for crankiness.Nobody cares about you as a person you are just here to serve and do your job.American society is becoming totally dehumanised and intolerant. Nobody gives a damn if you are tired or exhausted and repression occurs as soon as you are not perfect. Nobody is sensitive or compassionate enough in the health care department to understand how exhausted we all are and giving us huggs, a nice gesture will make it all better.Instead everybody is very punitive if you are irritable.

Anyway finish this residency but be sure you carefully think what you want to do at the end. Life is short and live to work for that is not worthed.

And remember always make time to have a good laugh. Think about what kind of face all these people that give you a hard time when they are on the pot!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: So long:p

Renovar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2002
Status (Visible)
I feel your pain brother. Been there many times during my internship. And probably will be there in 3 months after first yr fellowship, too.

Sometimes it helps taking a step back and think about how much trial you have gone through already. Quitting now will be akin to quitting the last 100 yards of a marathon.

And I must admit, there are times during internship and residency where i feel that if my whole medical career will be as ****ty as my internship, trust me, I will be the first one to quit this steez. It will get better my friend, hang in there.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.