It was long due!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ethics

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:This one was long due from me as well. This site has given me tons of information and nw I think its time to repay with my experience. Hello everybody I am a dental graduate from India and have now been accepted to UOP, SF. My stats are 86/84/111/3.94, MPH, observership.
So I think I would be a person to challenge the myth that you cannot get into a good dental school without 90 in ur nbde1. Anyways with these scores I applied to 6 colleges. I got interviewed in 4 colleges. I applied to upenn, uop, ucsf, bu , nyu and umn.
I was rejected at UMN without a interview call but called at 4 others. I have yet to hear from NYU but obviously I won't go.
Upenn –
This was a one day interview. There were 3 people who will interview you. One would be the program director, another from the admissions committee ( a faculty member) and the last the admissions director. I never understand what people in such interviews look for. It very difficult to say but most people say that they look for your overall command of the language, your general communication skills and also your level of confidence. Anyways as everybody else says after coming, my interviews were good as well.
School – Awesome!!! :DThe structure is a bit old but they have a new building to it now. Patient flow is said to be excellent and the program director is a very sweet person.
City – Didn't like it that much. Have heard a lot about the crime there and wouldn't like to be a part of it (though people presently in upenn would have a different opinion, this one is just mine)
My result – Rejected after interview:(.

Ucsf –
These are the long ones. It started on Sunday and carried on till Wednesday. The first day is practical. They are changing the room in which we worked this time (that was very much needed). As you sit to work you might not only be working but also encountering the elbow of the neighboring person. I would suggest practicing a lot if you are invited to ucsf as I had never prepared for a gold crown before and found it very difficult to work on a manikin that was pretty hard to move. The next day dats Monday you will be called for the orientation. You will have a lecture by the program director, financial aid officer and then a few others. It is here where you will be getting your interview day. It's mostly alphabetical. So if you are N or P or S, you'll be interviewed on Wednesday. The interview again is very personal. They will also give you a case. Like they asked me how would you approach a case in ur clinic for root canal treatment. Tell me all the steps. I started with informed consent and they were impressed. So be prepared.
School – Dream School:bow:. One of the top most. You won't find a school with such excellent research and huge patient flow very often.
City – SF is the best cities to live in. Yes it is expensive but it is a very safe and multicultural city. SO you will find a lot of Indian and Chinese restaurants:D. We did go for a small outing and I think I loved the city.
My result – Waitlisted :bang:
Uop –
This is again the long one. It started on Wednesday the same day that UCSF finishes (in the evening though). There was orientation and very gud food!! The interview dates are given on this day and then you will also get time with the faculty and students. The interview was the coolest of all the 4 I attended. The faculty member who interviewed me talked more than me but it was awesome. She had a lot of gud stuff to tell me. The practical was on Saturday. They had PFM on central incisor and a class 2 on a mandibular molar. It was a table top preparation and was very easy. They give you a manual as well that can be very useful. Just follow it and the sample models they give you. You'll do great!
School – Five star hotel:love: – to call it the least. I have heard that they have an excellent patient flow! Pretty expensive school but it should be worth that money.
City – Same again as above.
My result – Accepted :banana::soexcited:
Bu –
Again nice school but the whether was not very kind on that particular day. That is very normal of Boston whether. You either like it or you hate it. Again a very relaxed day's interview. Just one person (a faculty) will interview you. Tobias (the admissions co-ordinator) is sweet! General questions as we know always.
School – Gud but I have heard a lot about lack of patients even from the school students. So that could be an area of concern. Very cheap though…..
City – Coooooooold….wat else can I say….as the other amenities are common to every big city….
My result – Decision awaited:confused:.
Some common things –
1. Every school will be friendly – Don't fall into the trap of considering that you will be admitted for sure.
2. I really like the part when they allow you to meet the seniors. You can be very open and ask them questions.
3. Interviews would always be nice but try to prepare for each and every one well.
4. Last but by no means the least your practical exam – If you want to get admitted to any school dat has a bench exam – you have to do well on this part. I practiced at the place where I did my observer ship. Just buy some teeth onlin and pour them in plaster and request the person you observe to allow you to work and also check your work. It is a sincere request from me to all those who allow people like us to practice to not charge anyone for this. I have seen ads on SDN where they ask you to pay to come and practice at their clinic for money. Please don't do that….my dentist never asked me money and he was kind enough to always check the work I did and give his suggestions.
Finally I would like to end my marathon by wishing every1 the very best of luck!!!
Please don't loose hope and if you ever do - look at this post……..be focused..... be determined.
Another request please don't send PM's, rather post here so that every one can benefit from the discussions. A very big thank you to people like incision, la fea, vejaju, enzosz who come out and help everyone….god bless!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey congrats...and its really gud of u to honestly share all the info on this forum...congrats for getting into uop....:thumbup:

This one was long due from me as well. This site has given me tons of information and nw I think its time to repay with my experience. Hello everybody I am a dental graduate from India and have now been accepted to UOP, SF. My stats are 86/84/111/3.94, MPH, observership.
So I think I would be a person to challenge the myth that you cannot get into a good dental school without 90 in ur nbde1. Anyways with these scores I applied to 6 colleges. I got interviewed in 4 colleges. I applied to upenn, uop, ucsf, bu , nyu and umn.
I was rejected at UMN without a interview call but called at 4 others. I have yet to hear from NYU but obviously I won’t go.
Upenn –
This was a one day interview. There were 3 people who will interview you. One would be the program director, another from the admissions committee ( a faculty member) and the last the admissions director. I never understand what people in such interviews look for. It very difficult to say but most people say that they look for your overall command of the language, your general communication skills and also your level of confidence. Anyways as everybody else says after coming, my interviews were good as well.
School – Awesome!!! :DThe structure is a bit old but they have a new building to it now. Patient flow is said to be excellent and the program director is a very sweet person.
City – Didn’t like it that much. Have heard a lot about the crime there and wouldn’t like to be a part of it (though people presently in upenn would have a different opinion, this one is just mine)
My result – Rejected after interview:(.

Ucsf –
These are the long ones. It started on Sunday and carried on till Wednesday. The first day is practical. They are changing the room in which we worked this time (that was very much needed). As you sit to work you might not only be working but also encountering the elbow of the neighboring person. I would suggest practicing a lot if you are invited to ucsf as I had never prepared for a gold crown before and found it very difficult to work on a manikin that was pretty hard to move. The next day dats Monday you will be called for the orientation. You will have a lecture by the program director, financial aid officer and then a few others. It is here where you will be getting your interview day. It’s mostly alphabetical. So if you are N or P or S, you’ll be interviewed on Wednesday. The interview again is very personal. They will also give you a case. Like they asked me how would you approach a case in ur clinic for root canal treatment. Tell me all the steps. I started with informed consent and they were impressed. So be prepared.
School – Dream School:bow:. One of the top most. You won’t find a school with such excellent research and huge patient flow very often.
City – SF is the best cities to live in. Yes it is expensive but it is a very safe and multicultural city. SO you will find a lot of Indian and Chinese restaurants:D. We did go for a small outing and I think I loved the city.
My result – Waitlisted :bang:
Uop –
This is again the long one. It started on Wednesday the same day that UCSF finishes (in the evening though). There was orientation and very gud food!! The interview dates are given on this day and then you will also get time with the faculty and students. The interview was the coolest of all the 4 I attended. The faculty member who interviewed me talked more than me but it was awesome. She had a lot of gud stuff to tell me. The practical was on Saturday. They had PFM on central incisor and a class 2 on a mandibular molar. It was a table top preparation and was very easy. They give you a manual as well that can be very useful. Just follow it and the sample models they give you. You’ll do great!
School – Five star hotel:love: – to call it the least. I have heard that they have an excellent patient flow! Pretty expensive school but it should be worth that money.
City – Same again as above.
My result – Accepted :banana::soexcited:
Bu –
Again nice school but the whether was not very kind on that particular day. That is very normal of Boston whether. You either like it or you hate it. Again a very relaxed day’s interview. Just one person (a faculty) will interview you. Tobias (the admissions co-ordinator) is sweet! General questions as we know always.
School – Gud but I have heard a lot about lack of patients even from the school students. So that could be an area of concern. Very cheap though…..
City – Coooooooold….wat else can I say….as the other amenities are common to every big city….
My result – Decision awaited:confused:.
Some common things –
1. Every school will be friendly – Don’t fall into the trap of considering that you will be admitted for sure.
2. I really like the part when they allow you to meet the seniors. You can be very open and ask them questions.
3. Interviews would always be nice but try to prepare for each and every one well.
4. Last but by no means the least your practical exam – If you want to get admitted to any school dat has a bench exam – you have to do well on this part. I practiced at the place where I did my observer ship. Just buy some teeth onlin and pour them in plaster and request the person you observe to allow you to work and also check your work. It is a sincere request from me to all those who allow people like us to practice to not charge anyone for this. I have seen ads on SDN where they ask you to pay to come and practice at their clinic for money. Please don’t do that….my dentist never asked me money and he was kind enough to always check the work I did and give his suggestions.
Finally I would like to end my marathon by wishing every1 the very best of luck!!!
Please don’t loose hope and if you ever do - look at this post……..be focused..... be determined.
Another request please don’t send PM’s, rather post here so that every one can benefit from the discussions. A very big thank you to people like incision, la fea, vejaju, enzosz who come out and help everyone….god bless!!!
CONGRATS!!! Welcome to SF!
And thanks :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you do any course for the practical test?

no problem elderwand and la fea
and no to ur post rohit. I did not. I am a recent graduate but it was 1 and a 1/2 year that I didn't touch the airrotor, so it was difficult. But to tell you the truth I practiced only for 2 days 4 hrs each day. I did it continuously though. As I also mentioned, my dentist helped me a lot.

Congrats Ehics,I really liked the part where you said post here so all can benefit and dont pm.I want to know how you can start observing at a clinic.I am a totally nervous person.What do I ask them and who to ask?Do I look for ads on the newspaper or just go to a nearby clinic and ask???Help me please.

Congrats Ethics, great post and wish u all the very best:thumbup::thumbup:

Hi everyone,

I need help with my toefl IBT score . I got 92. I am trying my best to get atleast more than 100. I did not do very well at speaking and writing sections. would you please give me some tips regarding these two sections. I really really appreciate your help

congrats ethics, i need a advice that my toefl is 93, so should i apply to colorodo as they have written 95 for toefl, how did u prepared for that (toefl).And i think i need great practice for practical exams (is the basics for practical same for each dental school or different) and wat that bench exam means.Can u please tell me how long did u prepare for part2 and from where.
thanx.

to both benny and tushun i would suggest to improve your toefl scores if the min for any university that ur applyin is higher than ur present score....prepare from barrons pass key to toefl - that is the book that i used and it was really helpful

by bench exam I do mean the practical exams that you are speaking about...so they r the same....i think colorado has a bench exam as well....try to do well on it if ur offered a interview....

step 2 - read decks, kaplan and ASDA questions (most important) if accessible. i would advise you to refer bac on the textbooks that u used during ur graduarion
try to find some university library close to ur place - but its ok if you don't....study the 1st three and you should be fine!

best of luck!!

Im so sorry I missed u!! k....i would suggest just go and visit the dentists in ur near locality and ask them if you could come to observe....assure them that you r doin it voluntarily and don't want to paid anythin....most people will agree and if they don't also the only thing that they can say that is the worst thing is "NO" who cares :cool:

Congrats Ehics,I really liked the part where you said post here so all can benefit and dont pm.I want to know how you can start observing at a clinic.I am a totally nervous person.What do I ask them and who to ask?Do I look for ads on the newspaper or just go to a nearby clinic and ask???Help me please.

im so sorry i missed u!! K....i would suggest just go and visit the dentists in ur near locality and ask them if you could come to observe....assure them that you r doin it voluntarily and don't want to paid anythin....most people will agree and if they don't also the only thing that they can say that is the worst thing is "no" who cares :cool:
good job ethics
can anybody tell if everybody's interview goes easily and perfactly ......then why do they reject so many students
after interview

Im so sorry I missed u!! k....i would suggest just go and visit the dentists in ur near locality and ask them if you could come to observe....assure them that you r doin it voluntarily and don't want to paid anythin....most people will agree and if they don't also the only thing that they can say that is the worst thing is "NO" who cares :cool:

We may see at UOP in this summer unless I am picked as a PG member

Good Job Ethics...

Great job, Ethics!! I can honestly say that I only got to begin this long journey because of SDN. Everything I know about schools, NBDE, interviews, etc, I learned from fellow SDNers!

I am so happy to have found this site and feel compelled to help others, since I wouldn't be where I am now without the help of all my dear "faceless" friends.

See you in SF in July!!! :)

thank you esthetics and vejaeju...
definitely see u then esthetics
nd i agree with every word u say vejaeju!! eager to see every1 in July!!! hope our class rocks....

Hi Ethic congratulation on your success. I had one ques for observe.. or voluntary . Do i have to talk to dentist directly , because when ever i go to dental office on the front desk people tell me that you leave your resume then dentist will call u. After some day when i call them they say that dentists hasn't looked to ur resume. Is this approach is good enough or do you have any suggestion .
Help me out here please.

same to u sravan!
yes seeundbe dats the best and only approach. No dental office will allow you to walk in and talk to the dentist there without reason. So you need to talk to the receptionist and make sure that she understands what u actually want from this commitment so that she can convey it properly to the dentist....best of luck!

Hi Ethics ,
Congratulations on your huge succees. :soexcited:.
I am preparing Part I . Could you please tell me what kind of materials you used in your Part I preparation?

hi...ETHICS.........
first of all congratulation and all d best for your bright future...
your post is really helpfull and key to sucess...
i want to ask you one question..
what do you suggest who have low GPA...
how to impress program director in interview...

Thanks

Congratulations Ethics ! You are in for a good treat ! The Pacific Experience is one of the best, enjoy it :thumbup:

thanks lucyhua, caries 86 and kilani

@lucyhua - part 1 - read kaplan, decks, and papers (remembered especially) now as the pattern is gettin older a set of questions that are repeating are out and they can be helpful....try to get hold of someone who has given the exam recently

@caries - see dats wat i was sayin...its not necessary that they will only see ur GPA....nd no program director would ask u ny negative questions like why is ur NBDE score or ur GPA low....so don't worry...try to work on other parts of ur application because GPA is a thin u ve to live with....score better in NBDE 1, do some voluntary community and research work, do observership and work on ur practical skills...