Itacha college, Ny need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So im considering transfering here from my home state maryland, so i can get both state residency in new york and so i can recieve a decent education haha.
so i was hoping to find at least a few responses from either IC's or maybe some cornel students who know a little about ithaca college.

btw i meant Ithaca lol.. sorry..

Members don't see this ad.

serenade said:
So im considering transfering here from my home state maryland, so i can get both state residency in new york and so i can recieve a decent education haha.
so i was hoping to find at least a few responses from either IC's or maybe some cornel students who know a little about ithaca college.

btw i meant Ithaca lol.. sorry..

If you go to college in another state other than in your home state it doesn't automatically make you a state resident there.

If you go to college in another state other than in your home state it doesn't automatically make you a state resident there.

new york state is very genorus in ways to become a resident :D
living instate is enough in most cases..
but i'll more then likely get a apt.
which will get me residency anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
You best be ready for real upstate NY winters. I have lived up here my whole life, be ready for no sun from December to March, temperatures in the teens, wind chills below zero, and at least an inch of snow a night. It's not for everyone that's for sure. Ithaca is also very rural, there are things in the town proper, but if you are from a big city it is certainly not what you will be used to.

well.. i live in the suburbs.. i guess i can make due with a small town.. im sure there'll be some resturants or something there though...
i mean i do like having a small mid-sized town like rockvile which has like 50,000 ppl in it and about 200,000 in the surrounding metro area.. so idk..
and wegmans :love: maryland doesnt let them build in our state.. but wegmans are the best hehe..
i used to live in buffalo when i was younger.. and i remember the lake effect snow being bigger then my height haha..
lol
well hopefully i can manage haha/

Go to Cornell. That is all there is to say.

Go to Cornell. That is all there is to say.

my friend is going to cornell
says the pre-med department is hell and is extremely difficult to get above a B+ in any of the classes.
so going to a ivy with supposedly really bad grade inflation... well thats not big on my list.

Last edited:
Having an apartment somewhere does not mean you are a resident. I could drive two miles to New Jersey and rent an apartment - wouldn't make me a resident. Many states require you to work somewhere for a year or to live there and NOT be in school for a year.

well my parents lived in new york for like 6 years..
they say all i need to do is have lived in the state for 1+ year and or have apartment

This is from the SUNY website on residency:

http://www.suny.edu/Student/paying_residence.cfm

1. Generally, individuals who have maintained their domicile in New York for a period of fewer than twelve months prior to the end of registration are presumed to be out-of-state residents and are not eligible for the resident tuition rate.
2. Individuals who are financially dependent and whose custodial parent(s) lives in a state other than New York are generally not eligible for the resident tuition rate. However, students of divorced or legally separated parents may acquire a New York State domicile if the custodial parent is a New York State resident or if the student resides with a non-custodial parent who is a New York State resident and the student intends to continue to reside with that parent throughout their attendance at SUNY.
3. Individuals do not meet the twelve-month residency requirement if domiciled in New York State primarily to attend college.

So, unless your parents live in NY or you are financially independent, looks like you're out of luck.

This is from the SUNY website on residency:

http://www.suny.edu/Student/paying_residence.cfm

1. Generally, individuals who have maintained their domicile in New York for a period of fewer than twelve months prior to the end of registration are presumed to be out-of-state residents and are not eligible for the resident tuition rate.
2. Individuals who are financially dependent and whose custodial parent(s) lives in a state other than New York are generally not eligible for the resident tuition rate. However, students of divorced or legally separated parents may acquire a New York State domicile if the custodial parent is a New York State resident or if the student resides with a non-custodial parent who is a New York State resident and the student intends to continue to reside with that parent throughout their attendance at SUNY.
3. Individuals do not meet the twelve-month residency requirement if domiciled in New York State primarily to attend college.

So, unless your parents live in NY or you are financially independent, looks like you're out of luck.

hmm.. im going to have to do a bit of research on new york residency..
because my aunt in buffalo said to me that all i really need is to have lived in a apartment or worked full time for 2 months to get residency.
and if im going to new york im only looking at private schools.

Well, even if you don't end up being able to come because of the residency thing, Ithaca is an amazing town. Be sure not to equate it to towns of similar size, because Ithaca is truly unique. I believe it has one of the highest ratios of restaurants-to-people in the country, and by far most of them are unique, small-business type places, known throughout the region.

The geography itself is beautiful too. Ithaca college sits on top of a hill, and you can look down at all of Ithaca, or across to the other hill where Cornell sits. There are huge, beautiful gorges where you can go swimming or running, and can even sit underneath a waterfall (there are many to choose from here). Cornell's art museum is often (if not always) free, and you can see it from anywhere in town.

As far as Ithaca College itself, I know it as the place where you go if you want to hear a great concert. They attract some incredible performers, and have an outstanding music program themselves (far better than Cornell's IMHO). I wish I knew more about the college itself. I know that if there is a class you want to take, and Ithaca College does not offer it, you may enroll in one at Cornell. I have seen Ithaca College students in my classes, so people actually take this option.

Sorry this is the best perspective I could provide on Ithaca and Ithaca College, and I wish I would get out of the Cornell bubble and learn more. But if you were worried about not having stuff to do in Ithaca, don't let that be a concern in the least.

hmm.. im going to have to do a bit of research on new york residency..
because my aunt in buffalo said to me that all i really need is to have lived in a apartment or worked full time for 2 months to get residency.
and if im going to new york im only looking at private schools.

Residency for academic purposes may be different from residency for voting and tax purposes.

Residency for academic purposes may be different from residency for voting and tax purposes.

true..
but hopefully i can work something out and get into a instate med school in new york.. because i sure as hell know that UMD will show me and about 90% of the instate applicants with good grades with no love..

my friend is going to cornell
says the pre-med department is hell and is extremely difficult to get above a B+ in any of the classes.
so going to a ivy with supposedly really bad grade inflation... well thats not big on my list.

It's definitey not difficult to get above a B+, as long as you study. Most of the pre reqs have a class mean of B and a lot of the upper level classes have B+ or A- means. I didn't work very hard in orgo at all because I hated it and the worst I got was a B+ first semester.

I kind of disagree with all the Ithaca love. It is beautiful and kind of fun for a while, at least in the fall when you can walk around in the gorges, go fruit picking, enjoy the farmer's market and such but once January rolls around and you're walking across the huge campus in -20dgC weather it's not so fun. There are a lot of restaurants though, but not a lot of places to go besides the small downtown where you can look through some cute stores where you probably won't buy anything, or the crappy mall.