ITE exam as PGY 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heathermed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone...

I was wondering how important it is to do well on the first ITE exam as a PGY 1.
I know it's better to do well than not, but I am doing my icu month this month and I can't see myself being able to prep too much.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering about this too because I won't be taking the exam this year since my program is advanced and I am doing TY internship in another state. From what I have read, CCM fellowships start interviewing fall of CA2 year, so I will only have my CA-1 ITE score on my application if I apply to CCM.

I asked a similar question like 5-6 months ago and folks on the forum said don't worry about it and that it's meaningless. then all of a sudden, this CCM fellowship thread popped up and the OP of that thread said otherwise. Doesn't make much sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you apply for fellowship, many programs will ask for all of your ITE scores. Although it shouldn't matter, the number is still there and a terrible score can only hurt you. Same applies to your step 3, try your best to keep your score around the same level.

It's not hard to do well on compared to your peer group as a PGY1 in my experience. If you can get through the first 6-8 chapters of Baby Miller that will help and you will likely be far beyond the other interns.

You'll never regret doing well on a test.

Even though you're stuck in the ICU, try to do 10 or 20 practice questions per day and really understand the correct/incorrect answers to them. If you've been a flake, not reading for the last 7+ months of your CA1 year :) then you're way behind the 8 ball.

Most of your peers won't specifically prepare for the ITE so you anything you do that's organized and focused will make a %ile difference.

ETA - never mind, just saw that you were an intern. Don't sweat it. Plan on crushing the ITE in March of your CA1 year, that score will be back in plenty of time for fellowship apps.

Bump... what do people like to do for questions? I have the ASA booklet but it's only 100 questions.

What about reading the beginning sections of Morgan and Mikhail? Helpful?

I didn't do as hot on the AKT6 (after reading Baby Miller) as I would have like so if anyone has study tips, I would appreciate it!

Greetings,

I probably sound annoying but you are really missing the big picture here. You need to know this stuff. You need to know this stuff cold by the end of your CA-3 year. Learning doesn't happen in a weekend cram session. This is what YOU chose to do, so learn it.

Besides the above obvious point...fellowships do ask for it and will wonder why your CA-1 scores suck. Your program director will know and it'll either help or hurt your rep in your residency. That may be the difference between superstar letters of recc and "He was here" letters.

Just a little thought nugget.

I completely understand the point. I want to do well too.
I get that Ca-1 scores are somewhat indicative since I'll have 1 year of anesthesia training under my belt, but without any anesthesia training in pgy1 year coming out of a workhorse prelim medicine program, it has just been difficult reading as much as I would like.

I was just being realistic in that I don't think I will do as well as I would like and how negatively this will impact the impression people will have on me once I start my CA-1 year. If I do well on the Akt, can this balance off a poor showing in the ITE?

thanks again!

Greetings,

I probably sound annoying but you are really missing the big picture here. You need to know this stuff. You need to know this stuff cold by the end of your CA-3 year. Learning doesn't happen in a weekend cram session. This is what YOU chose to do, so learn it.

Besides the above obvious point...fellowships do ask for it and will wonder why your CA-1 scores suck. Your program director will know and it'll either help or hurt your rep in your residency. That may be the difference between superstar letters of recc and "He was here" letters.

Just a little thought nugget.

I completely understand the point. I want to do well too.
I get that Ca-1 scores are somewhat indicative since I'll have 1 year of anesthesia training under my belt, but without any anesthesia training in pgy1 year coming out of a workhorse prelim medicine program, it has just been difficult reading as much as I would like.

I was just being realistic in that I don't think I will do as well as I would like and how negatively this will impact the impression people will have on me once I start my CA-1 year. If I do well on the Akt, can this balance off a poor showing in the ITE?

thanks again!

Most interns will not "do as well as they like," but will still do fine. You are not expected to know much about Anesthesiology as an intern (especially in a non-categorical program), and having ANY real knowledge and reasoning skills will likely put you ahead of the pack (March of PGY1 year, the bar is set pretty low). If you are desperate to find some study aide, get your hands on some of the ACE booklets. Do 10-20 qestions (and explanations) a day until March, supplementing with a few chapters of baby Miller.

I misread the OP and thought you were a CA-1.

There is a lot of general medicine on that test so you should still try and rock those questions. If you are in the ICU now just study the ICU related keywords and you should beat the mean no problem.

I asked a similar question like 5-6 months ago and folks on the forum said don't worry about it and that it's meaningless. then all of a sudden, this CCM fellowship thread popped up and the OP of that thread said otherwise. Doesn't make much sense.

What doesn't make sense to me is the idea that your ITE score as a PGY1 will rival your score as a CA-1, or that its absolute value will titillate CCM program directors.

Just try to nail the ITE as a CA-1.

The Lange text by Morgan & Mikhail (sp?) is probably the best bang for the buck for someone in your situation. It is pretty easy to read and a whole lot of info crammed into one spot. The key points at the beginning of each chapter are, indeed, key points.
Baby Miller is good too. There are not very many wasted words in that text.

Where can I get some ace booklets/practice questions?