SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

It's a numbers game. Period

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by jazz27, Mar 22, 2007.

1. jazz27

jazz27 2+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2007
    There is so much discussion on this forum about "fit" and personality playing into the rank lists, which I think is completely pointless. You guys are wasting your time. Let's face it, it's all about your step 1,2 scores and your class rank. Sure, there will be the occasional applicant who has high scores and a high class rank who will also be a bit awkward or weird- those guys can be picked out from a mile away and they'll be at the bottom of the rank list or may not even make it. Program directors know that it's hard for them to judge who is a good "fit" or who has a genuine personality after a 30 minute interview. They know that there will be jerks who will be able to fool them in the interview. So in the end, they're left with the scores and class rank. It's the most objective measure they have to compare applicant to applicant, regardless of quality of medical school or anything else. But of course, PDs are never going to openly admit that scores and class rank play almost a 100% role when making their rank lists- it's not politically correct and they know it. But they do it anyways.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dr. Will

Dr. Will 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Fatty McFatty Pants.

Move along folks. Nothing to see here.

4. edinOH

edinOH Can I get a work excuse? 7+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2002

Not true. At least it wasn't at my program.

5. Jimmy1

Jimmy1 Junior Member 2+ Year Member

May 2, 2006
    East Coast
    What a crappy post. So NOT true.

6. Dr. Will

Dr. Will 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Houston, TX
    If that's the case, why even bother interviewing when you can just take the top applicants and fill your program as such?

7. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best! 10+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Jazz, did you just match into EM? Are you even interested in EM?

8. DeLaughterDO

DeLaughterDO Ghost in the Machine 10+ Year Member

Jun 26, 2004
    State of Being
    hmmm... new member, 2 posts.

I call "Fatty" as well.

jd

9. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine Physician 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2002
    New England
    Um, no. I'm living proof of that.

10. Febrifuge

Febrifuge Grizzled Old Newcomer 7+ Year Member

May 7, 2003
    Q: How many posts like this does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Actually, I never go back to the thread again, so I couldn't tell you.

11. Jeff698

Jeff698 EM/EMS nerd 15+ Year Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Salado, Texas
    Don't we have a rule on this?

Isn't there at least a month's grace period after match before we start getting the numbers questions again?

Please?

Take care,
    Jeff

12. trkd

trkd 10+ Year Member

Dec 23, 2002
    San Diego
    If it posts like a Fatty AND only has 2 previous posts like a Fattly, then it MUST be a Fatty. You called it right. I reiterate...

Fatty McFatty Pants

13. Dr. Will

Dr. Will 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Houston, TX
    This message is approved by 4 out of 5, 2007 Emergency Medicine matchers.

14. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    FMcF.

Wait, how late am I?

15. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Personality means nothing.

Its all a numbers game.

If you didn't score > 260 on Step 1, you might as well scramble into FP.

Q

16. Freestyle22

Freestyle22

Feb 1, 2007
    I call crap on this post too. Otherwise, all of us with great numbers would have gotten whatever we wanted, and its not because we are jerks or wierd. I came to believe that it is a statistical phenmenon, when ranking competitive programs. I dont think you can totally blame it on fit or personality either, because all the people affected by it aren't arrogant or comatose. It might just be that they are married, engaged or ranked really competitive programs. Blah, Fatty Pants.

17. kungfufishing

kungfufishing Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 7, 2003
    Quinn I thought you scrambled straight into Prison if you didnt go 260?

18. DeLaughterDO

Jun 26, 2004
    State of Being
    exactly... as someone's girlfriend. :smuggrin:

Oh. wait. is "go 260" some new slang for a sex act?

do tell...

19. trkd

trkd 10+ Year Member

Dec 23, 2002
    San Diego
    That is f%#ked! I got a 324 on Step 1 and 317 on Step 2 and I didn't get into In'n'Out Burger Medical Center EM program. WTF?!? Must have been the drop in my step 2.

:laugh: :laugh: That is the funniest thing I have heard in a while!! Oh hell, I am so easily amused.

20. EctopicFetus

EctopicFetus Keeping it funky enough 10+ Year Member

May 3, 2004
    Arizona
    trkd, in n out has access to all your records, including kindergarten grades as well as gold stars given out since you were a fetus. Your app must have failed somewhere in there.

21. trkd

trkd 10+ Year Member

Dec 23, 2002
    San Diego
    You got me there. They took my 2 gold stars when I kicked this boy's a$$ in kindy. He had it coming though. He was babbling about how getting into elementary school was only a numbers game. I called him FMFP and did what a girl has to do. I am wondering where the OP went to kindergarten. This all sounds familiar.:smuggrin:

22. EM_Rebuilder

EM_Rebuilder Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas

Dunno why, but this made me think about the first time I got DHall. It was like 3rd grade, a girl had just given a state report about California and she gave everyone an orange slice. We then went outside for some reason and I threw my orange peeling on the ground. The teacher asked why I was littering and that littering was illegal. I explained to her that it was not littering because it was food and that something somewhere would eat it. She did not like my comeback and sent me to the office... ugh.

Luckily, that only came up on two interviews!!

23. Dr.Evil1

Dr.Evil1 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Correct me if I am wrong but I heard that In-N-Out Residency program has a minimum board score cutoff of 275. This corresponds to the price of a double-double.

24. trkd

trkd 10+ Year Member

Dec 23, 2002
    San Diego
    Yeah but somehow they still seemed to fill their 12 spots by only going down to #13 on their ROL (Elvis gets an honorary spot on the ROL every year but has never shown up to take the spot).

25. roja

roja 7+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2003
    NYC--->San Francisco
    hahahahhahA

26. DeLaughterDO

Jun 26, 2004
    State of Being
    I heard he was having some visa issues... :laugh:

27. GeneralVeers

GeneralVeers Globus Hystericus Physician 10+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Las Vegas
    He would have failed the Urine Drug Screen that most residencies require you to take these days.

28. iatrosB

iatrosB trying not to kill anyone 5+ Year Member

Jun 9, 2004
    hiding from a code
    Come on guys...is it impossible to have a serious conversation in this forum. The OP raises some interesting points that need to be flushed out. One must delve into and analyze the match in order to maximize sucess for future applicants...

wow, I kept that up longer than I thought I could. Let's let Chuck Norris handle the proper response to this thread. :thumbup:

29. GeneralVeers

GeneralVeers Globus Hystericus Physician 10+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Personally, I think this whole "fit" and "compatibility" discussion is irrelevent. At the end of the day on match day the only thing that matters is that you have a spot. Sure, we'd all like to go to Tampa for 3 years of fun and sun, but it's just not possible for the majority of applicants.

30. EM2BE

EM2BE Elf 7+ Year Member

Oh how I enjoy the humor in these threads!!! :D

31. shortbread9

shortbread9 5+ Year Member

Mar 4, 2006
    somewhere out there
    wow, what year in med school are you in? have you even been thru the application process? cause until then you really have no clue what its like and how things really work. I...like others that have posted do not have a 260 and didnt even submit my step 2 and i got a pretty good spot. it had more to do with hard work and personality than anything i think. if you go thru it with that kind of mindset...you wont get a spot..you have to be likeable and come across like a human being in your interview.

32. trkd

trkd 10+ Year Member

Dec 23, 2002
    San Diego
    Really couldn't have said it better.

33. Febrifuge

Febrifuge Grizzled Old Newcomer 7+ Year Member

May 7, 2003
    I don't know when it will be SDN tshirt time again, but the EM forum almost calls for its own. I'm picturing a dark blue shirt with white cartoon dialogue bubbles. One says,

Q: What is the best residency program? What board scores do I need? Can I use a SLOR from...

And then the other balloon reads

A: Fatty McFattypants.

Maybe if there's room, a motto:

SDN Emergency Medicine. We have no time for ridiculous questions. (We do have some time for ridiculous answers.)

34. Dr.McNinja

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    I would steal this for my signature if I were doing EM next year. I still might.

35. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door Physician 10+ Year Member

*sporfle* Coffee...monitor...glad y'all could meet. :laugh: :laugh:

36. This might be a stupid question...what is a Fatty McFattypants?

37. roja

roja 7+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2003
    NYC--->San Francisco

there are no stupid questions. Just stupid awnsers. ;) which is what you will get to that one. :laugh:

(I honestly don't know.. a mythical character that has taken on Bezoaric standing in the EM forum.... I am sure someone can enlighten us)

:p shhhhhhhhh, I though IN-n-Out was mythical too until someone posted a picture. and no, that's not my bitterness at not being nominated chief there. :D

38. trkd

trkd 10+ Year Member

Dec 23, 2002
    San Diego
    It is required that you do a search on Fatty. This will lead you to enlightenment. As for In and Out, that will be harder to find. That takes time on the forums to figure out. It is the ultimate residency program but only the folks that have been around for a while know where it is. The rest will have to wait and learn.

39. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD Physician Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Nov 18, 2002
    SDN Partner
    Fatty MFP, Chuck Norris, In n Out. That's all you need to know to succeed in EM.

40. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door Physician 10+ Year Member

I think that my failure to Match this year is directly related to my failure to mention these 3 key points in any of my interviews. Really, with an error like that, I didn't deserve to scramble, much less actually Match! Now I know my error.

*hangs head in shame*

41. nocallaochicas

nocallaochicas Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Fatty McFattypants

42. nocallaochicas

nocallaochicas Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2006
    I have studied the history of FmcFP quite seriously and therefore know of its origins. However, I wonder who was responsible for In'n'Out.

Gone searchin',
    ncc

43. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    There's a couple of defaults: when you don't know the answer on a multiple-guess test, select "C". If you don't know what it is, consider an epidural abscess or hematoma. If it's HIV/AIDS, all your clinical medicine goes out the window.

On SDN EM, if you just don't know, think docB. I think that he is the originator. However, with server changes, your search might come up empty.

44. docB

docB Chronically painful Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm blushing.:D

45. Dr.McNinja

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    You left out steroids. They are always the answer. Honestly, they're ****ing awesome.

46. trkd

trkd 10+ Year Member

Dec 23, 2002
    San Diego
    Yeah, I was about to blame you too. We will all never be completely happy with our own residencies because we will always look with wanting eyes at In'n'out. :(

To find the origin, I think searchers should look at one of the frameworks of this forum.... the "path is in our rearview" thread. It will provide many answers to all of life's answers, probably including In'n'Out.

47. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    In and Out predates that thread series.

48. Miami_med

Miami_med Moving Far Away Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

I thought that Lupus and "The Medication," were always the answer :eek:

49. Jeff698

Jeff698 EM/EMS nerd 15+ Year Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Salado, Texas
    Yep. And you just thought you knew what SLE stood for.

SLE = Seems Like Everything

Take care,
    Jeff

50. trkd

trkd 10+ Year Member

Dec 23, 2002
    San Diego
    :laugh: :laugh:

51. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon 7+ Year Member

May 1, 2006
    I can't believe I've never heard that before. Incredible.