It's all about how well you can sell yourself...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trojanation

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly, what I've figured out about this process is that it really doesn't matter what your stats/EC's are, it's about how well you can sell yourself. For example, my very low stat friend who's now struggling was able to get in by making himself sound way better than he actually was. This whole process is about packaging yourself to the adcoms. You can have high stats/great EC's, but if you can't sell yourself, you won't do well. It's sad that adcoms buy into this BS. Basically, if you're a good salesperson, you'll do great.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, what I've figured out about this process is that it really doesn't matter what your stats/EC's are, it's about how well you can sell yourself. For example, my very low stat friend who's now struggling was able to get in by making himself sound way better than he actually was. This whole process is about packaging yourself to the adcoms. You can have high stats/great EC's, but if you can't sell yourself, you won't do well. It's sad that adcoms buy into this BS. Basically, if you're a good salesperson, you'll do great.

Thank you for the insight, Captain Obvious!

Members don't see this ad :)

Actually, it's a combination. You have to have at least the minimum in stats for any given school in order to have them even consider you. After that, it's up to you to convince them to choose you above others.

Unless you have great EC's and scores, AND you can sell yourself well.

Hmm... Me thinks the people at WashU would beg to differ.

Different schools want different things...

you keep posting about your low stat friend. I sense an attempt to covertly express your animosity about his success....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

come have a seat on my extra comfortable crazy person's couch!

That only goes so far, you're not going to sell a Civic for a M5's price no matter how greasy of a salesman you are.

That only goes so far, you're not going to sell a Civic for a M5's price no matter how greasy of a salesman you are.

Well, my friend had around a 2.7 BCPM, 3.2 overall and only a 30 MCAT and he did well by selling that so I'd say it takes you pretty damn far. His gpa isn't a result of any problems he faced during undergrad.

Well, my friend had around a 2.7 BCPM, 3.2 overall and only a 30 MCAT and he did well by selling that so I'd say it takes you pretty damn far. His gpa isn't a result of any problems he faced during undergrad.

What med school is he going to? Is he URM? Save any African babies?

Man, I can sell myself like a Vietnamese hooker, but I haven't gotten any acceptances yet. I smell jealousy!

:laugh:

salesman.jpg

Man, I can sell myself like a Vietnamese hooker, but I haven't gotten any acceptances yet. I smell jealousy!

Doesn't sound like you're doing a good job of selling yourself. :rolleyes:

What med school is he going to? Is he URM? Save any African babies?

PM for the name of the school. It's a pretty decent allo school. Nope, he's not a URM and didn't save any DABs.

Doesn't sound like you're doing a good job of selling yourself. :rolleyes:

PM for the name of the school. It's a pretty decent allo school. Nope, he's not a URM and didn't save any DABs.[/QUOTE]

OMG!!!:eek::eek:...I can breathe!!!! Another Brian Mendhelson moment....please please...keep them coming!

I guess I don't get it... isn't EVERY application process (for any job/school/promotion/girlfriend/etc.) about selling yourself?

Who would rather hire/work/educate/date someone who sounds worse than the next guy? The idea is to show you have better ECs, better GPA/MCAT, better personality. What else is there to choose people on... their shoe size?!

It's not BS, it's life. You do the same thing in your everyday life

I don't understand the point of threads like this, it just makes you sound bitter. Suck it up and make the most of what you have.