Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Its all finally over

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by I got in, Mar 22, 2002.

1. I got in

I got in Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just received the letter from Dr. Foxwell stating that I will not be getting in this time. AHHH the misery. This truly hurts.
    I don't know ifI should write to him or what.
    Any suggestions.......

2. SarahL

SarahL Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sorry to hear that. Who's Dr. Foxwell? Maybe you could appeal? I recently appealed to UCSD after being rejected pre-interview and I now have one scheduled for the first week of April.

Good luck to you whatever happens.

SarahL

3. well, sorry to hear about your troubles with Maryland. I went through the same $#-+ with UMAB last year. They put me on hold for interview for months, so I didn't get to interview until March even though my app was complete in early September. Then they overfilled their class and put me on the middle third of the waitlist even though I had two great interviews. I read your post on the other thread and believe me, my stats were very similar to yours and are nothing to be ashamed of (3.62, 29). BTW, I am a MD resident. I think Maryland is a very stats-conscious school and screws over a lot of good applicants every year (though they do take many outstanding applicants as well). I ended up going to an allopathic school that is ranked higher than Maryland and am generally happy there, but sometimes feel a bit bitter about the fact that I am paying ridiculously high tuition there. Well, I hope you hear good news from other schools soon; try not to worry if you get waitlisted, I got in off the waitlist and so did many of my classmates. And don't let others tell you that you have no right to be pissed, sad, or whatever at Maryland or Dean Foxwell just cause they got in! good luck to you.

Kate
    TUSM '05

4. Procrastinator

Procrastinator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey SarahL, what did you say in the appeal letter?

5. elle

elle Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

SarahL,
    Dr. Foxwell is the Dean of Admissions at the University of Maryland's med school.

j2001,
    I am sorry to hear that you didn't get in - I hope you get good news from other schools soon! Have you spoken with your pre-med advisor about establishing a game plan to get through the next few months? I am no expert, but my advice would be to concentrate on other schools where you have interviews right now and see what happens. If you don't get in this cycle (though hopefully you will!) maybe you could write or set up a meeting with Dr. Foxwell or someone from the adcom at other school to see if there is an aspect you should focus on about your application. I'm no expert but I bet you'll find some good advice on this website! Good luck - Maryland is a great school but there are many great schools out there.

6. SarahL

SarahL Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I said three things in my appeal letter to UCSD:

1) You should let me in because I want to be a physician scientist and your school wants to produce physician scientists.

2) I am committed to improving health care for Latin Americans and there are a lot of Latin Americans in San Diego.

3) The groovy things I've done since I submitted my application to you are...(promotion at job, publications, new research proposals, conference talks, etc.).

I also sent them two more letters of recommendation.

Lots of luck to all of you!

SarahL :)

7. I got in

I got in Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for your support guys
    Katie-You are my hero. I remember you posting that you got in Tufts in late july. That is so awesome.

I am thinking about taking my Mcats again (got a pathetic 27Q) and I am also waiting on three other school, namely, Crieghton, GWU, & EVMS. I just hope I don't have to gothrough this terrible process again. I am a Maryland girl and UMAB was so right for me, I guess the committee thought otherwise.
    Anyhow, I have to get over it and I will also try to speak with Dr. Foxwell.
    Again, thanks everybody.

8. wow, thanks, that is the best compliment I've gotten in months! :) anyway, it looks like you've been given some good advice; even if you don't get the rejection overturned, it is probably good to establish a rapport with Foxwell in case you have to reapply (I was on my second time reapplying and had everything ready to go for my third time when I got pulled off 2 waitlists). But with 3 schools still to hear from and 1 interview left to go, I think you'll get in THIS year. good luck!