It's four am and I'm wide awake - hate night shifts sometimes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Working night shifts are a two-edged sword, both of them sharp.
It's four am and I'm wide awake, goofing around on my computer at home. Reading usually puts me to sleep, but not tonight. I almost wish I was working, 'cause I'd have something to do.

I'm glad I don't have to work tomorrow. First star on the right and straight on 'til sunrise.

If I'm not asleep by 6 I'm going to intubate myself and put myself in a phenobarb coma.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, noone should be conscious for as many 4 ams as we are.

I also never expected to spend so much time describing urine and feces to people on the phone.

Me: It's not quite like melena. It's more like dark stool with a lot of gross blood in it.
GI: Well is it just BRBPR.
Me: No, it's darker and thicker than that...
and so on.

beyond all hope said:
If I'm not asleep by 6 I'm going to intubate myself and put myself in a phenobarb coma.

I've "heard" about that, actually. It sounds like a good idea at first, but I "heard" it's hard to explain to people why you haven't been around for a couple days because you overshot the dose in your zealousness. So I've "heard", at least. Actually, I have a friend that "heard" about this. Yeah...that's right... a friend . :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
For me the tricky part is not right-main-stemming the thing. I always gag, choke, shove, right into the right mainstem. Even the succ doesn't seem to keep me from doing this.

As a night shift phlebotomist I can understand your problems... Can't sleep at night on days off and hungry at usual lunch break (0130). I have found Melatonin (3mg at bed) to do wonders for a good nights rest.

As an OMS (-1) I wonder if it would be best to get off of coffee for the long nights ahead? Any thoughts?

-Sleepless in Santa Cruz

nothing 75mg of diphenhydramine cant cure.