• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
Status (Visible)
Working night shifts are a two-edged sword, both of them sharp.
It's four am and I'm wide awake, goofing around on my computer at home. Reading usually puts me to sleep, but not tonight. I almost wish I was working, 'cause I'd have something to do.

I'm glad I don't have to work tomorrow. First star on the right and straight on 'til sunrise.

If I'm not asleep by 6 I'm going to intubate myself and put myself in a phenobarb coma.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yeah, noone should be conscious for as many 4 ams as we are.

I also never expected to spend so much time describing urine and feces to people on the phone.

Me: It's not quite like melena. It's more like dark stool with a lot of gross blood in it.
GI: Well is it just BRBPR.
Me: No, it's darker and thicker than that...
and so on.

Mediculous

The Verbal Herman Munster
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2003
Here I am... rock you like a hurricane.
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
beyond all hope said:
If I'm not asleep by 6 I'm going to intubate myself and put myself in a phenobarb coma.

I've "heard" about that, actually. It sounds like a good idea at first, but I "heard" it's hard to explain to people why you haven't been around for a couple days because you overshot the dose in your zealousness. So I've "heard", at least. Actually, I have a friend that "heard" about this. Yeah...that's right... a friend . :idea:

About the Ads

DrB

Family Medicine Resident
10+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2004
In the Desert
Status (Visible)
As a night shift phlebotomist I can understand your problems... Can't sleep at night on days off and hungry at usual lunch break (0130). I have found Melatonin (3mg at bed) to do wonders for a good nights rest.

As an OMS (-1) I wonder if it would be best to get off of coffee for the long nights ahead? Any thoughts?

-Sleepless in Santa Cruz

About the Ads
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.