it's fun

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gumshoe

LARGE Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo, it's fun when you are a pre-med and you are in contact with the president of the AAMC. Talk to me about connections ... and I'll holla back.

Gumshoe

"Connections are not random --- money talks, bull**** walks"

Members don't see this ad.

Really? Can the pres of AAMC really open the door of any med school for you regardless of ECs, LORs, GPA, MCAT, essays, and interviews?
;)

Originally posted by isidella
Really? Can the pres of AAMC really open the door of any med school for you regardless of ECs, LORs, GPA, MCAT, essays, and interviews?
;)

Yeup - Part of the deal to centralize everything at AMCAS was to give the pres of AAMC 5 "Uber-slots." He/she can take 5 students per year (they don't even have to have a highschool degree, I don't think) and install them wherever he wants them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Zoobaby
Yeup - Part of the deal to centralize everything at AMCAS was to give the pres of AAMC 5 "Uber-slots." He/she can take 5 students per year (they don't even have to have a highschool degree, I don't think) and install them wherever he wants them.

That's just what I suspected gumshoe was getting at.

Talk about nepotism. It's funny how medical admissions committees make such a huge deal about individual accomplishment, fair play, and honesty, and then the head of the whole process gets to basically cheat people into positions.

More like the Hypocrisy Oath.

tis' all an ism that is not a truism. nice conspiracy theory..uber applicants is one of the funniest things i've heard in the last minute. y'all got analysis paralysis.

I don't know how serious this whole thread is but I am getting VERY JEALOUS!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Originally posted by Zoobaby

I hope you're just making this up... ;)

Yup, i met a med student guy who entered under the uber-scholar program while at UHM recently. he said they guarantee they'll find a slot for you at about 1/5th of the schools you pick. He said he still hadn't taken the MCAT, but he was going to have to by the end of his second year in med school to comply with AAMC rules. He said all that matters is your familial relationship with the admissions committee.

fyi this is not intended to be serious..

can somebody explain this to me please? What the he** is an uber-scholar anyway? and how do I get to be one?:oops: :mad:

UBER must stand for...

Underpriveledged Bull@*$! Expert Royale !!!

hehe uber is internet lingo originating i think from online computer games (you must be a complete geek like me to know it), just means well... i dunno "spectacular" i suppose

Originally posted by An Yong
hehe uber is internet lingo originating i think from online computer games (you must be a complete geek like me to know it), just means well... i dunno "spectacular" i suppose

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

...'uber' (or rather "?ber" ie with the umlaut) is German for 'super'

Originally posted by the boy wonder
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

...'uber' (or rather "?ber" ie with the umlaut) is German for 'super'

Thanks, BW.

Yes, I was joking (not too well, I guess). :p

this is a true story guys...
A physician giving a talk on rural medicine told this to us.

There is this young boy in an african village... beyond village, this extremely rural, backward civilazation place. he took care of everyone in the village and knew absolutely about the local medicine, and could take excellent care of the patients.

This boy, got into harvard medschool, when some US physcian learned about it. Now, i'm sure this is a very exagerated and special case , and i'm sure the boy was much better than i mentioned (that talk was a good, 5 years ago, i don't remember details). BUt, i'm guessing that what the 5 slots are for.

Originally posted by Sonya
this is a true story guys...

I'll believe it when you can prove it. ;) Way too many urban legends...

find the physician in Palo Alto medical clinic/stanford hospital, in bay area, and ask him. All my proof is having seen pictures. But, i do suppose exageration is possible.
Ask on your next harvard tour, what would be their reaction?

Originally posted by An Yong

uber is german for "super"

pwn3d

There are no 5 uber slots. That was a mere fiction. The African doctor was probably an exeption made by Harvard because of extraordinary circumstances. Harvard can let in anybody they want, but the president of AAMC does not have 5 slots to install people.