It's interesting to see how premeds deal with the karma thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camstah

running thru dandelions
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
it's like med school rank...the higher you rank, the better you feel about yourself...then, of course, you have those gunners who are trying to pull other people down (in school and karma)...even for those of us who don't post inflammatory or trollish posts.....why do people have to be like that? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

camstah said:
it's like med school rank...the higher you rank, the better you feel about yourself...then, of course, you have those gunners who are trying to pull other people down (in school and karma)...even for those of us who don't post inflammatory or trollish posts.....why do people have to be like that? :rolleyes:
Because these types grow up to be pre-meds...Link ... And pre-meds post on this forum. :(

But here's a link that I'm sure will make you smile again... I know I did! :)...Lions and Tigers

What is the karma for in the first place? What does it mean? I must not be in touch w/ my karma... and I'm getting nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear that touching your Karma every once in a while is good for your nerves.

that was so cute mr reddly..... :)

camstah said:
that was so cute mr reddly..... :)
Hey, don't blame me! It's Carbon's fault! I swear! :p
And I've still got that song in my head!!!

Giving karma is good for your karma. :thumbup: This thread gets karma from the Flash. :)

Alright done, everyone on this thread's covered now. :cool:

TheFlash said:
Alright done, everyone on this thread's covered now. :cool:
Darn. :(
"You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."
Oh well. It didn't feel like 5 already.

Mr Reddly said:
Darn. :(
"You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."
Oh well. It didn't feel like 5 already.

:laugh: It's all good MR, karma is such a thing that it need not be repaid in haste. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
Does anyone else not see the irony in this thread? The OP has her MDapplicants profile link in her sig.

Yeah. A bit hipocritical there. I think that deserves a negative karma point!

JKDMed said:
Does anyone else not see the irony in this thread? The OP has her MDapplicants profile link in her sig.
And so? I have a boxed heart and a bunch of colored squares in mine? :laugh:

The "to list a profile or not to list a profile" thread is somewhere else.... Can't find the link :( but somepeople like it.... somepeople don't. I for one, like it.

Found it!!!! MD Applicants

Mr Reddly said:
And so? I have a boxed heart and a bunch of colored squares in mine? :laugh:

The "to list a profile or not to list a profile" thread is somewhere else.... Can't find the link :( but somepeople like it.... somepeople don't. I for one, like it.

Found it!!!! MD Applicants

I realize you and others may see it differently but would you wear a tag with your MCAT score and GPA during interviews or anywhere else where there's a lot of premeds? I equate it to about the same thing.

another interesting note about this karma thing is that...our rep points dont go up if we help someone who really needs it on this forum.

for example the newbie that first comes on to sdn that wants to know something that we know...and we let them know...

since they are noob, their karma for us equals next to nothing...
does that mean sdn feels that their membership is also nothing? :confused:

haha. :D

I see MCAT and GPA as only one part of the process. When some people look at her profile, they probably see the MCAT/GPA and think "B*tch". And then they stop reading. What they miss, and what not only makes it a powerful statement but also means she deserves props in my book, is the fact that she didn't get in the first time, and yet she is still posting it for others AND is including that fact! The reason I don't have one is that Yes, I could put '35' but I would also have to put (unless I am a gunner type) "Rejected 3 years in a row." To me, there is a difference.

jlee9531 said:
since they are noob, their karma for us equals next to nothing...
does that mean sdn feels that their membership is also nothing? :confused:
haha. :D
NO. not nothing... Just next to nothing. :D
It's the lurkers that are equal to nothing...
You help them all the time and get nothing back (nunca, nada, jam?s)

stop.gif
lurking!

Do you realize that in the pre-allo forum alone, there are 18 lurkers (out of 44 people) RIGHT NOW!

stop.gif
lurking!

gossip.gif

Come! Join us!

We don't bite! Honest!
vampire.gif

You know you want to...
yes.gif

whip.gif
Don't make me hurt you...

(DSM Ain't got nothin on me and my smilies! :smuggrin: )

This karma thing is interesting. I have never felt the need to give anyone positive karma points if they have good posts. A bad post however, can definetely see giving negative points.

Just reading what I wrote this equals to punishing the bad deads rather than rewarding the good. Does that mean I'll be a bad father if someone makes decides to mate with me?

Mr Reddly said:
NO. not nothing... Just next to nothing. :D
It's the lurkers that are equal to nothing...
You help them all the time and get nothing back (nunca, nada, hamas)

stop.gif
lurking!

Mr. Reddly, you know I love you, but it's jamas (con una marca de acento sobre la primera a)... haha. As soon as I can give more Karma... it's coming to you! You are by far one of my favorites on SDN. All I have to say is that all of these Karma points better equal an acceptance to UCI for you! :clap:

AlreadyInDebt said:
Mr. Reddly, you know I love you, but it's jamas (con una marca de acento sobre la primera a)... haha. As soon as I can give more Karma... it's coming to you! You are by far one of my favorites on SDN. All I have to say is that all of these Karma points better equal an acceptance to UCI for you! :clap:
hahaha. Great! Now I've proven my lack of spelling abilities in both english AND spanish! :laugh:

?Premero o sedundo? Yo creo que se diece... "jam?s"
?Est? mejor?...Pero, muchas gracias por todo me amego. ;)
S?. Yo hablo espaniol tambi?n.:eek: Pero siempre un poco.

Translation for our east coast friends:

AID: "With an accent mark over the first a"

MR: "First or second? I believe they say... 'jam?s'"
MR: "Is that better?... but, thanks a bunch for everything my friend. ;)"
MR: Yes. I speak spanish too. :eek: But only a little."

At least that's what I think I said. Haven't taken spanish since 1991ish.. I think. :(

Mr Reddly said:
hahaha. Great! Now I've proven my lack of spelling abilities in both english AND spanish! :laugh:

?Premero o sedundo? Yo creo que se diece... "jam?s"
?Est? mejor?...Pero, muchas gracias por todo me amego. ;)
S?. Yo hablo espaniol tambi?n.:eek: Pero siempre un poco.

Translation for our east coast friends:

AID: "With an accent mark over the first a"

MR: "First or second? I believe they say... 'jam?s'"
MR: "Is that better?... but, thanks a bunch for everything my friend. ;)"
MR: Yes. I speak spanish too. :eek: But only a little."

At least that's what I think I said. Haven't taken spanish since 1991ish.. I think. :(

Mi amigo, lo que tu dices es la verdad. Es el segundo a. Yo tengo verguenza porque trate' a corregirte, pero yo puso el acento sobre el "a" errone'o. Quiero llorar. Quieres llorar conmigo? hehe... Hace cinco anos que no estudio espanol. Tambien, no tengo nadie para practicar el espanol. Si asistes a UCI conmigo (y si UCI me acepta), podemos practicar juntos! Ay!Necesito dormir porque tengo la clase de Biomedical Ethics manana. Hablare contigo manana despues de mi clase. Adios!

Interesting thread...but I find it too time-consuming to give out those reputation points...it's like I already spent too much time on SDN already...

damn you mr reddly...now i will be forced to sing "only in kenya" during the case we're doing today...prompting all sorts of fully looks from the docs.
i kinda doubt they will find it as humorous as i did.
maybe if i get the dance down...

lurker no longer! :D

though i'm not sure i added anything....

AlreadyInDebt said:
James H. Cox Elementary School ~ Class of 1993
Kazuo Masuda Middle School ~ Class of 1996
Fountain Valley High School ~ Class of 2000
University of California, Irvine ~ Class of 2004
Boston University School of Medicine ~ Class of 2008

Wow that's an interesting sig. :)

Mr Reddly said:
Do you realize that in the pre-allo forum alone, there are 18 lurkers (out of 44 people) RIGHT NOW!

stop.gif
lurking!

gossip.gif

Come! Join us!

We don't bite! Honest!
vampire.gif

You know you want to...
yes.gif

whip.gif

You sound like you're recruiting people into a cult! ;)

That reminds of a Christian group...Jehovah Witness or something??

AlreadyInDebt said:
James H. Cox Elementary School ~ Class of 1993
Kazuo Masuda Middle School ~ Class of 1996
Fountain Valley High School ~ Class of 2000

haha cool. i taught at cox.
attended masuda and fvhs!

Maybe I missed the memo (God, I love Office Space ), but what is with the whole karma squares now?

Crap, time for Physics Discussion...maybe I can improve my real life karma by being super nice to everyone in my class today. :)

here is a neurotic premed question: What is the max Karma you can get? :laugh:

Blade28 said:
Wow that's an interesting sig. :)

I thought I would "compete" with those who had their undergrad institution in their sigs... hehe It won't last, but I thought it would be funny. :laugh: If only I could remember by Head Start school. Dangit!

noami said:
damn you mr reddly...now i will be forced to sing "only in kenya" during the case we're doing today...prompting all sorts of fully looks from the docs.
i kinda doubt they will find it as humorous as i did.
maybe if i get the dance down...

lurker no longer! :D

though i'm not sure i added anything....

I love that video!

Of course, it isn't exactly accurate. There are no tigers in Kenya! :laugh:

JKDMed said:

what exactly does that have to do with my post? :confused:

i said that people are giving out karma to bring others down...do you think that's why i put my mdapp profile in my sig? it's funny, but i think that you take the posting of a profile as "competition", and so you don't like it when others do it....but some of us like reading others profiles (as i said before in a thread about this very topic) because we like to see where they're coming from...if someone is posting how to do really well on the mcat, but got a 20, well, that tells me that maybe i should think twice about taking his advice....i see nothing wrong with it...and, in fact, it was the very thread criticizing people who put their mdapp in their sigs that inspired me to put mine up.....

anyway, i think negative karma should be reserved for those we think are being trollish...that's what it was really intended for from what i read...so that others won't take what they say to heart....not just to give to people you disagree with......it's funny how people will be nice one instant, then be not so nice when you disagree with them in the slightest....it's alllll about karma......

btw jkdmed, i think your faq's are hilarious...that was a good laugh..... :thumbup:

Alexander99 said:
Yeah. A bit hipocritical there. I think that deserves a negative karma point!

Thanks! I still don't see how it's hypocritical....the two have nothing to do with each other....
and since you're not a troll, i will not give you a neg point in return (even though i disagree with you....)....that's how karma is supposed to work!!

now where's SnS when you need him? this karma thing would be perfect for him....

camstah said:
anyway, i think negative karma should be reserved for those we think are being trollish...that's what it was really intended for from what i read...so that others won't take what they say to heart....not just to give to people you disagree with......it's funny how people will be nice one instant, then be not so nice when you disagree with them in the slightest....it's alllll about karma......

I agree. Since karma runs out so quickly, I think it is much better to spread around positive karma than negative. That way, you can reserve giving a negative one for when someone is truly being mean or trollish. Disagreeing is not reason enough for a negative karma. Besides, I thought this was put in place so people can spot the trolls more easily and also see whom they can trust.

Mr Reddly said:

stop.gif
lurking!

gossip.gif

Come! Join us!

We don't bite! Honest!
vampire.gif

You know you want to...
yes.gif

whip.gif

dude you are the #1 SMILIES member. that whip one...that one is sweeet!!
haha.

camstah said:
anyway, i think negative karma should be reserved for those we think are being trollish...that's what it was really intended for from what i read...so that others won't take what they say to heart....not just to give to people you disagree with

I very much agree Camstah :)

On another note, I sincerely hope that you join our class. I know that your excitement about Keck would be inspiring to all of us.

I got 26 karma points in like 3 hours, all from one single post of mine from this very thread....craziness! :D

exmike said:
here is a neurotic premed question: What is the max Karma you can get? :laugh:

yeah what's the max? what's the percentage of people that get the max? what are my chances of getting the max if work REALLY hard between now and August? is it really important to score highly? someone help! HELP!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jlee9531 said:
dude you are the #1 SMILIES member. that whip one...that one is sweeet!!
haha.
I prefer this whip better myself :oops:...
badassbuddy_com-kinky.gif

And can you believe it? I actually got almost everything AID said in Spanish. I had to look up Ashamed but that was it! I'm shocked I can still remember that much!

Eraserhead said:
yeah what's the max? what's the percentage of people that get the max? what are my chances of getting the max if work REALLY hard between now and August? is it really important to score highly? someone help! HELP!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:clap: :laugh: (upside down !)+1 Karma point para ti!

edit: OMG, I lost Karma for giving props to Eraserhead for being funny! What is the world coming to? :laugh:

AlreadyInDebt said:
:clap: :laugh: (upside down !)+1 Karma point para ti!
You lookin for this?... '?' :laugh:

edit: Ooooh man. I lost Karma on this one...
Oh well. 'Like momma always said, "Tears in a bucket... Mother#@%$ it."' :laugh:

Way to make a guy feel dumb as toast! :laugh: :(

edit: What is your sig? :confused:

AlreadyInDebt said:
Way to make a guy feel dumb as toast! :laugh: :(

edit: What is your sig? :confused:
It's just me havin fun. It doesn't actually mean anything...I just wanted some color when they stoped the img tag in the sig. Although, I was going to make the heart a karma meter (ala zelda :D). :rolleyes:
Also, it shows all the possible posting colors for this BBS.

If your asking how I did it, it's the same trick as with the '?'.

then I should be rejected outright to every school in the galazy with my karma rating...