Its looking very iffy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loki

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not one interview to hang my hat on...bummer...I am starting to think thoughts of next year's opportunities... :(

Is anyone else interview challenged at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

I only have one, and it is at my state school where they interview everyone with residency status. Don't stress yet. I am not going to worry until I start getting rejections.

Good point...But don't the schools kinda string you along until the very end anyway?

I suppose some do and some dont..

But, yeah, you are right; I guess there is no need to worry untill the fat lady sings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, hey, hey don't get discouraged so soon. Remember that little 5 letter word (AMCAS). Everything is running late this year. Take a breath and think positively. Don't throw in the towel so soon. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I am living my life as if I don't get in--just keep going as usual--volunteer, lab, etc. I don't want to get my hopes up and then get rejected; of course, I have this thought of acceptance somewhere in the back of my mind, but it's a good idea not to count on it (out of 37000 that apply only 16,000 get in), so a lot of good and deserving people get rejected. Roll the dice...

Don't stress it. I was feeling the same way, until I got my first interview (at UIC) yesterday. So...they'll be coming soon.

Originally posted by Loki:
•Not one interview to hang my hat on...bummer...I am starting to think thoughts of next year's opportunities... :(

Is anyone else interview challeged at this point?•

wow, loki, it's WAY too early to get discouraged. schools will be interviewing all the way through april or may...and acceptances can be handed out at *any* time. interviewing early is no guarantee of an acceptance. not only that, but many schools haven't even *started* interviewing yet. plus, someone raised the very valid point that AMCAS has pushed things back.

so it's way too early to stress!!!

I think I made a serious tactical mistake. Due to my work schedule (70 hours per week) and full time school, volunteer work, lab work etc...I decided to go with my average MCAT 9,9,10 R and prayed it would be propped up by a high GPA (3.94CGPA/3.88SCI). I knew I had no way to get more study time for the MCAT, this was a mistake, I should have taken it again. The bugaboo, no study time, I should have stopped everything and found a new job. I have learned a bit about sacrifice.

The fact of the matter is, there are people who have endured a lot more hardship than I have and are OK. That is very cool as I would select them as well. I just made a tactical error.

I have learned a bunch during this whole 5 year ordeal, I would not trade even failure for the experiences I aquired. What I am sad about is what I put my loved ones though (esp. my beautiful wife) for this opportunity, they have endured more hardship than my small lack of sleep sacrifice.

I have learned to work a little smarter....

Originally posted by lady in red:
•I am living my life as if I don't get in--just keep going as usual--volunteer, lab, etc. I don't want to get my hopes up and then get rejected; of course, I have this thought of acceptance somewhere in the back of my mind, but it's a good idea not to count on it (out of 37000 that apply only 16,000 get in), so a lot of good and deserving people get rejected. Roll the dice...•

Truer words were never spoken. I agree, but that does not mean I will not make adjustments to gain another opportunity next year. The philosophy I am rapidly developing is "if I am not getting interview opportunities, and I want to be a physician, then then I cannot live my life as if I don't get in." I better change some stuff (find a way to study HARD for April's MCAT :)

ie...The definition of frustration:

If you do what you have always done and expect more than what you have always got.

I figure this stuff out at 34 years of age, but hey, at least I am coachable :p

I agree. You can change some stuff, like your MCATs, but there is quite a bit of random chance and luck (someone on adcom really likes you and your background) involved. Otherwise, what would explain an applicant with a 27 MCAT and 3.4 GPA getting into 3 schools and another with a 42 MCAT and 3.8 GPA getting only 2 interviews and acceptance into only one state school? Both were my classmates and very personable people, had pretty much similar extracurriculars and age. You just never know these things. I put my life "on hold" because of school and grades just like you and made my husband suffer for it. Then i figured, hey, I am losing my best years and 20 years later I will regret it. So I take it one day at a time. If I have to retake April MCAT and reapply--so be it. This thing is like a rat race, and it will get worse once you get in, i.e. you have to compete and worry about residencies, so it never ends. I figured I get a hold of it now and don't let it rule me before I become a jealous obsessive pre-med freak. :)

I am not married, but I feel that there is bliss in sharing a partner's hardship. Sacrifices are lighter with a comrade, or so it feels to me. You see her suffering and so you suffer, but then you know that your suffering rises from the love you have for her and that should give you the strength to bear it with a smile. You cry and you laugh, but then you tread on because you know that behind you, there is another person who is willing to give up his life for you. No mountain too high, no ocean too deep. There is life in sacrifices and there is life in hardship. One just have to see that it is there. Best wishes to all of you!

I know how you feel Loki…this whole process is tough. It is hard to check this board every day and see all the interviews that have been handed out. This unbelievably long process is taking even longer cause of amcas, and it is very discouraging.

But, we all have to remember it is only September. Check posts from a few months back, and you will see people being accepted for this year's class all the way up until August. Your stats sound very competitive, and the interviews will come…for both of us.

HEY GUYS,

LIKE OTHERS HAVE SAID . . . IT IS EARLY!!! PUT THAT TOGETHER WITH THE PROBLEMS EVERY SCHOOL HAS HAD WITH AMCAS, AND THERE ARE SOME SERIOUS DELAYS.

NYU, FOR EXAMPLE, ISN'T EVEN GOING TO BEGIN TO INTERVIEW PEOPLE UNTIL NOVEMBER.

THIS PROCESS CAN BE LONG AND AGONIZING, JUST LOOK AT SOME OF THE POST THAT PEOPLE HAD FROM NYMC AROUND JULY. ALSO, I AM SURE THAT YOU ALL HAVE HEARD ABOUT THE STUDENTS THAT GET A CALL A WEEK OR SO BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS.

YEAH, SOME PEOPLE WILL GET IN EARLY, SOME PEOPLE WILL GET 15 INTERVIEWS, BUT THOSE FOLKS ARE NOT IN THE MAJORITY.

THERE NEVER IS A GOOD TIME TO GET STRESSED OVER THIS STUFF, CAUSE IF IT IS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT, YOU WILL FIND A WAY TO MAKE IT WORK OUT.

JUST WISHING THE BEST LUCK TO EVERYONE, AND HOPING THAT NOBODY LETS THEMSELVES GET TOO STRESSED OUT, IT WILL ALL WORK OUT IN THE END.

Loki, and everyone else, you need to relax

IT'S FREAKING SEMPTEMBER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!

Last year, according to my premed advisor from undergrad who had been doing that for 20+ years and was excellent, peak interview season is late November/ealy December through February. Fall interviews are early, and you are considered to be very lucky/competitive when you have fall interviews (except for the Texas schools since their match is in January or whatever).

If you haven't received an interview invite by January or February, then I might start thinking about alternate plans. Now is WAY TOO EARLY.

Originally posted by lilycat:
•Loki, and everyone else, you need to relax

IT'S FREAKING SEMPTEMBER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!

Last year, according to my premed advisor from undergrad who had been doing that for 20+ years and was excellent, peak interview season is late November/ealy December through February. Fall interviews are early, and you are considered to be very lucky/competitive when you have fall interviews (except for the Texas schools since their match is in January or whatever).

If you haven't received an interview invite by January or February, then I might start thinking about alternate plans. Now is WAY TOO EARLY.•

I did not know this...that is good news! Thanx