It's March... severely worried!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bibliomaniac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I've stalked this site for a while, but I'm finally posting something of my own:

I've wanted to be a doctor for longer than I can remember and have said as much in my personal statement. Now it's March, most schools I applied to are winding down their interview season. What is going on?! At this point do I have any chance at all?

I've applied to 12 schools, I've heard back from 4 (2 rejections, 1 pre interview WL, 1 post interview WL)

GPA (that they have, it's changed a bit since applying): 3.8
BCPM: 3.75
MCAT: 29 (8P, 9L, 12B)

Double majoring in Biology and English Studies with a focus in European Lit.

1 semester of non medical related research
Limited formal shadowing, but I have been shadowing my dad (a podiatrist) several times a year for literally the past 13 years

Leadership activities mainly limited to my religious group
There are a plethora of extra curricular activities

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I've stalked this site for a while, but I'm finally posting something of my own:

I've wanted to be a doctor for longer than I can remember and have said as much in my personal statement. Now it's March, most schools I applied to are winding down their interview season. What is going on?! At this point do I have any chance at all?

I've applied to 12 schools, I've heard back from 4 (2 rejections, 1 pre interview WL, 1 post interview WL)

GPA (that they have, it's changed a bit since applying): 3.8
BCPM: 3.75
MCAT: 29 (8P, 9L, 12B)

Double majoring in Biology and English Studies with a focus in European Lit.

1 semester of non medical related research
Limited formal shadowing, but I have been shadowing my dad (a podiatrist) several times a year for literally the past 13 years

Leadership activities mainly limited to my religious group
There are a plethora of extra curricular activities
Maybe you could make clear what you mean by "Plethora" by describing the rest of your ECs. I'm concerned that you don't mention active clinical experience where you interact with sick people in a helpful way. Or nonmedical community service. A complete lack of MD or DO shadowing is worrisome as well. I used to work as a podiatric assistant, so I know how similar some aspects of medical practice can be for each profession, but the vast majority of adcomms won't have that insight.

Other than your unknown ECs, did you apply late in the cycle? Do you have any legal issues or Institutional Actions to explain? Are you sure your LORs are supportive, and did you send in the types requested? Did you apply to schools too reachy for your stats? Did multiple readers 'in the know' review your PS to be sure it set the right tone and answered the question, "Why Medicine?" in a compelling way?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, what state are you in and where did you apply.

I'm wondering why an English major only got a 9 in the Verbal.

Concur strongly here. Personally, I'm not impressed with your shadowing only a podiatrist. If you're lacking in other patient contact experience, that's a strike.

Your MCAT is significantly imbalanced and below avg. Suggest a retake if your committed solely to an MD...you need to get the "triple double" of 10/10/10 minimum.

You might have much better luck with DO programs.

Maybe you could make clear what you mean by "Plethora" by describing the rest of your ECs. I'm concerned that you don't mention active clinical experience where you interact with sick people in a helpful way. Or nonmedical community service. A complete lack of MD or DO shadowing is worrisome as well. I used to work as a podiatric assistant, so I know how similar some aspects of medical practice can be for each profession, but the vast majority of adcomms won't have that insight.

Other than your unknown ECs, did you apply late in the cycle? Do you have any legal issues or Institutional Actions to explain? Are you sure your LORs are supportive, and did you send in the types requested? Did you apply to schools too reachy for your stats? Did multiple readers 'in the know' review your PS to be sure it set the right tone and answered the question, "Why Medicine?" in a compelling way?

If you don't get in anywhere this cycle, which hopefully you do, I would give DO a shot, as your stats are pretty solid.

Medical schools may contact up to just weeks before class starts. Most schools continue enrolling until the class is full.

An admissions officer told me that she has contacted people up to just a few days before classes begin to offer admission--and those folks lived OOS LOL. So they basically had to pack up their life in a couple of days and move.

You can still get in. Don't lose hope unitl the day most schools starts class, which isn't until late summer/early fall

Where did you apply?
29 is a weak MCAT for MD.
State of residence?
DO schools would be very interested in you.

Oh and you have a chance, your WL. Better make them know how much you want it.