It's not a letter of intent unless you agree to matriculate!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unicorn06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has been bothering me. In many different threads, people talk about writing letters of intent when they really mean letters of interest. A LETTER OF INTENT SAYS YOU INTEND TO ATTEND THE SCHOOL IF OFFERED ADMISSION. This letter goes to your one top choice. A letter of interest reaffirms your interest in the school and how great a fit you'd be for the school, etc. but does not promise that you will attend or label the school as your single top choice. A letter of interest can be sent to multiple schools.

Just wanted to set the record straight... :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

unicorn06 said:
This has been bothering me. In many different threads, people talk about writing letters of intent when they really mean letters of interest. A LETTER OF INTENT SAYS YOU INTEND TO ATTEND THE SCHOOL IF OFFERED ADMISSION. This letter goes to your one top choice. A letter of interest reaffirms your interest in the school and how great a fit you'd be for the school, etc. but does not promise that you will attend or label the school as your single top choice. A letter of interest can be sent to multiple schools.

Just wanted to set the record straight... :cool:

Just out of curiousity, do you actually say in the letter Re: Letter of Intent or Re: Letter of Interest? Or is this post just regarding using correct language on SDN?

Is it ok to write a letter of intent post-interview but pre-waitlist?

My interview only went so-so, so I thought Id write them an email telling them its my first choice & why.

For the letter of interest: how many of you are doing this, to what schools are you sending it, and does it matter whether or not you do?

I've got three schools (Harvard, Penn, Duke) that won't get back to me until March. I'm just wondering if it's common/expected/necessary to send letters of interest to any or all of these schools? I really am interested in all three, but I don't want to annoy them or do something that may actually lower my chances of an acceptance...