Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

It's official--the allopaths hate me!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by WillowRose, Apr 1, 2004.

1. WillowRose

WillowRose hot mama-yama
    7+ Year Member

LOL

After hearing nothing from them for months, I get two--count 'em, two!--rejections in just two weeks!! One was expected, but the other.....well, was not unexpected but still pissed me off!

So my husband is having a nervous breakdown now because IU is not offering me a place in the fall class (those losers) and now we are definitely going to have to move!

Oh well...makes it easier on me cause now I don't have to explain to the in-laws why I'm taking their babies away from them and surely leading them to an early grave!

Willow--too old to be an allopathic, still too young to care!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DORoe

DORoe BWAAA HAAA HAAA
    7+ Year Member

Yes, but now you get to spend your time nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and with a beautiful view of the mighty Hocking River:laugh: I have been getting my MD rejection letters as of late as well. It is kinda interesting to compare how the schools reject applicants.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WillowRose

WillowRose hot mama-yama
    7+ Year Member

OH I know, Indiana sent me the shortest dang letter that basically said "no thanks."

I guess it really annoys me because they only give you a single interview and mine wasn't even with a committee--it was with one doctor. So, my whole future rested in the hands of an a$$!! :laugh:

Oh well, I really wanted to go to OU-COM anyway. IU was just a matter of pride and I'm going to comfort myself by repeating the mantra of "If I were 10 years younger...." (He actually had the nerve to ask me "What makes you think you can go to med school with 2 young kids?" I guess his wife takes care of all that stuff so he can go do important stuff like brain surgery). Bleh...

And hey....it's been a long time since I've lived in the foothills of anything! I'm looking forward to a change of scenery. Imagine! Roads with curves!

Willow

4. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've said it before and I'll say it again......... MD schools on average do NOT like older, non-trad students.

Sorry about your MD experience. Hey, it is their loss. They lose out SO MANY times on being able to teach some very interesting and diverse students simply because they are age-discriminate.

I swear, when will they learn?

Chin up Willow :)

5. MD schools seem to have a problem with alot of people. But eh it's their problem not ours!

6. LloydDObler

LloydDObler Member
    7+ Year Member

Are you looking for a reason to make people think DOs are inferior? Or to start yet another flame war about this topic?

Its one thing to have defend our education all of the time to outsiders. To have to read about how you, a soon-to-be DO student, care that you haven't been accepted to an allopathic school is another. And THEN to be comforted by another soon-to-be DO student who says that MD schools don't accept older, non-trads (any stats to back this up?) anyway isn't helping our cause.

I am not trying to be mean. There's nothing wrong with applying to both kinds of schools. I just want you to know how the subject of this thread and your posts sound.

7. s42brown

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I love to read about premeds getting defensive about THEIR profession. Chill out.:cool:

8. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

I have to agree with Lloyd here - can you imagine a thread on the allopath forum complaining about getting rejected from DO schools? And getting into IU was a matter of pride? I'm sorry that becoming an osteopathic physician injures your pride...maybe you should rethink things.

9. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Come on guys, start at a thread in pre-allo and tell them how mad you are about only getting into MD programs.

10. Amy B

Resident [Any Field]
    There is nothing wrong with this thread or how she worded it.

11. Buster Douglas

Buster Douglas Unregistered User
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It perpetuates the stereotype that DO schools are only MD applicants' back up plan.

12. Amy B

Resident [Any Field]
    Perhaps, .....but this applicant applied to both to avoid a move with her family. That is something older students have to deal with and believe me it is harder to uproot a whole family including the main breadwinner, than it is to uproot one applicant with no family.

So older students apply to both hoping to avoid a move, not as backup plans to MD schools, but rather out of necessity.

I know my family played a huge part in where I applied. The places had to have certain requirements due to kids and schools and jobs and housing, etc.... I didn't pick places based on if the school was DO or if it was MD. I lucked out and the place we are going is a DO school.

13. raspberry swirl

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

someone clearly needs to calm down. its frustrating and disappointing to get rejected from anywhere, especially if it means the difference between having to uproot your family or not. i really don't think willow is trying to start a flame war or bad mouth osteopathic medicine. i read her post a couple of times over to see where exactly she specifically mentioned that DOs are inferior. heaven forbid if she tries to commiserate with fellow osteopathic applicants. lighten up a little. clearly you have some issues with osteopathic medicine, since you became unnecessarily heated over absolutely nothing.

14. raptor5

raptor5 Fooled by Randomness
    15+ Year Member

Opinion

15. WillowRose

WillowRose hot mama-yama
    7+ Year Member

Ok, let me see if I clarify this for you.....

I had a pretty damn good application that most 23-year-olds would be glad to have. I applied to both MD and DO schools with the hopes that I would have more than one to choose from. There is only ONE school in my state--IU--and it's an allopathic school. Naturally, getting accepted in-state would have helped me in many ways. My *choice* was to go to OU-COM, an osteopathic school, but I was prepared to make the hard choice and stay if that's what I had to do.

Pardon the hell out of me if it hurts my pride that the only freakin' school in my state will not accept me. And it doesn't take a genius to look at comparative average ages of MS1's to see that most allopathic schools do not take a lot of older students. And yeah, it pisses me off that I got a single interview with one person--not even a committee.

Did I say anywhere that DO's were inferior? Hell no! In fact, I never made any claim one way or the other. I simply said that I had been rejected by two allopathic schools after hearing nothing from them for ages. (I've already received decisions from all the DO schools I applied to. The MD's were taking their sweet time). Getting rejected does tend to smart a bit! I even went back and re-read my posts and still don't see where you read that into them.

And for your information, IU was the back-up plan but that still doesn't make me feel any better that they didn't want me. I did not want to go there, but if it means still having food on the table and health insurance through the husband's job, then I would've gone.

Why am I defending myself? All I did was publicly lick my wounds (which plenty of people around here do). So I happen to also be an arrogant elitist witch....that's no reason to think that I find DO's to be inferior. There are plenty enough people that I consider myself superior to without having to be so general and low-brow as to include an entire category.
    :laugh: (in case you didn't notice, some of that was sarcasm--you can decide what)

Will~

16. LloydDObler

LloydDObler Member
    7+ Year Member

Whoa... Thanks for your concern, but I am actually quite calm. And I actually have no issues with osteopathic medicine. That's sort of my point...

s42brown- "I love to read about premeds getting defensive about THEIR profession. Chill out."

Umm... I actually go to your school and am in your class...

As to this age thing, I looked at the average age for MD schools- its 24-point-something (the link is below). I looked for the average DO school age, couldn't find it overall, but found on the website for KCOM that the age is 25. I am not seeing a huge difference there...
    http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/archive/famg112001a.htm

Anyway, as I said, there is nothing wrong with applying to both kinds of schools. There is nothing wrong with being sad/mad about rejection. My point was, and still is, that this thread comes across to me as an MD-wannabe- thread. That's my opinion.

It has since been clarified that the issue was the location of the school more than its allopathic-ness. If this is true, perhaps a different title of the thread (it's official- the allopaths hate me) or last line of the original post (too old to be an allopath- still too young to care) would have made this more clear.

17. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think the OP meant anything wrong by this thread nor do I think she intended to propagate the myth that DOs are inferior.

I do agree with the above statement though that the title of the thread is what is causing the controversy. If it was changed I don't think such a response would have occurred.