Its Official, WAGS has begun laying off!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh noes! but but but....everyone keeps telling me that i'll get a job in retail pharm EEEAAASY after grad, if only i have a pulse and a 2.0!!

/sarcasm

not surprised...

Is it really the end of pharmacy if this isnt the case?? Last time i checked, in almost every other profession, a graduate actually had to look for a job based on their qualifications. I dont think the end of the world is here if jobs are no longer being handed out like candy in major cities. There are at least a couple people here who have gotten jobs in OC recently, or knew a friend who did. Which leads me to suspect hiring in "tough" markets is more based on connections, skills, and experience. Maybe the relative surplus will be good for the quality of pharmacists?

And on one hand, as you look at corporations like walgreens screwing over pharmacists and complain about how corporations have ruined everything ... think for a minute about the drug companies, who are basically paying our salary at this point. Big drug companies are what has allowed pharmacies to be so profitable and increased the prescription volume so much in the past decades. One thing to think about in the coming days is that pharma has the most powerful lobby out of any industry, vastly dwarfing other healthcare players, and that overall, they're never going to lose, even in a nationalized healthcare situation (they would lose the least) Which means there is still going to be an ever increasing prescription volume and the high prices and margins to sustain pharmacy growth. In 10 years, the wags thing is going to be but a blip on the radar, so to speak, in pharmacy history, because for all we know prescriptions could be in line to double or triple as baby boomers retire and pharma keeps churning out all these new biotech and lifestyle drugs.

Members don't see this ad.

Take it to a company who actually cares about their employees -- Costco, Publix..

That's all for my ramblings

:idea:

Google Pharmacy!

Have you seen their cafeteria?!? :eek:

Yum

Is it really the end of pharmacy if this isnt the case?? Last time i checked, in almost every other profession, a graduate actually had to look for a job based on their qualifications. I dont think the end of the world is here if jobs are no longer being handed out like candy in major cities. There are at least a couple people here who have gotten jobs in OC recently, or knew a friend who did. Which leads me to suspect hiring in "tough" markets is more based on connections, skills, and experience. Maybe the relative surplus will be good for the quality of pharmacists?

And on one hand, as you look at corporations like walgreens screwing over pharmacists and complain about how corporations have ruined everything ... think for a minute about the drug companies, who are basically paying our salary at this point. Big drug companies are what has allowed pharmacies to be so profitable and increased the prescription volume so much in the past decades. One thing to think about in the coming days is that pharma has the most powerful lobby out of any industry, vastly dwarfing other healthcare players, and that overall, they're never going to lose, even in a nationalized healthcare situation (they would lose the least) Which means there is still going to be an ever increasing prescription volume and the high prices and margins to sustain pharmacy growth. In 10 years, the wags thing is going to be but a blip on the radar, so to speak, in pharmacy history, because for all we know prescriptions could be in line to double or triple as baby boomers retire and pharma keeps churning out all these new biotech and lifestyle drugs.

I don't know about the future, but for now, it's pretty tough market out there. There are still jobs opening, but you have to travel pretty far from cities. A couple of my friends are doing 40 miles, one way drive to work daily, and they're still floating for chains. Tough times...and it's gonna get worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Power has not been rolled out for a month now because they're having "serious customer service issues" per my supervisor. We've already had people take their scripts and leave to CVS, our transfers have increased and I say good.

That's what I have been hearing as well. There are still a lot of problems. The concept may sound nice but may not be practical. Walgreens has already invested billions so they will try to fix it.

The problem is that its business model sacrifices customer service but it does not offer any advantages to the customers. If a customer wants good service, then independent, CVS, Costco, Wal-mart would be a better option than Walgreens. If a customer is looking for a great deal, then mail order pharmacy would be a better option.

I worked in a busy store as an intern and the staff can't be replace. The manager was great and the customers love her. If she was replaced or if the customers had to talk to someone 100 mile away, then I am sure the customers would take their prescriptions somewhere else.

Haha, I 100% agree with everything you just wrote. I was just being facetious and imitating the pre-pharms that post on here that continue to argue that everything will be "bright and sunny" and jobs will fall out of the sky for years to come.

Circuit City was a failing business retroactively tried to save the company by reduction in force. Wags is a succesful and growing company proactively trying to reduce cost.

You don't like the Circuit City example? Fine. How about transfer coupon? That idea failed miserably. Not only did customers transfer their prescriptions back and forth but they also received horrible customer service from the pharmacy and went back to their old pharmacy. Another great idea by the corporation.

You may know a lot about hospital pharmacy but you don't know jack about retail. Mail order pharmacies did not destroy retail pharmacy as many had predicted (I am sure you did too). You probably want the last word so I will step back (I always respect my elders).

get an MBA/MHA.

My wife told me I should get an MBA and become a DoP because "you like to tell people what to do and hate being told what to do." Maybe I should. But then I'd be like Z, Jr...and I couldn't handle that.

Does anyone know if Cardinal Health still has that thing where they send you to one of like 4-5 locations and train you for a year (full salary) to be a director? I might do that. That'd be tight.

Don't sell your soul to be DoP...do they even get to practice pharmacy generally?

Hell, mine does. He writes treatment protocols, does P&T stuff all the damn time, slaps the wrists of physicians for prescribing against set protocols, and figuring out how to comply with whatever JCAHO's new patient care hard-on of the week is. Unless you don't consider that stuff "practicing pharmacy"...which it most certainly is...

I was sitting there last night...just thinking about all of the money I could save that place...and the only reason I cared was because they froze our wages. Give me like 6 months and I could probably save them $1 mil, easy...and then give me like a $50,000 bonus. I'd consider that a fair trade.

But then I'd be like Z, Jr...and I couldn't handle that.

I think it's too late for that..

Does anyone know if Cardinal Health still has that thing where they send you to one of like 4-5 locations and train you for a year (full salary) to be a director? I might do that. That'd be tight.

Cardinal's DIT (director in training ) is a good program. But I believe they're up for sale.. (the pharmacy management section that is..)

Hell, mine does. He writes treatment protocols, does P&T stuff all the damn time, slaps the wrists of physicians for prescribing against set protocols, and figuring out how to comply with whatever JCAHO's new patient care hard-on of the week is. Unless you don't consider that stuff "practicing pharmacy"...which it most certainly is...

sounds like someone I know..

I was sitting there last night...just thinking about all of the money I could save that place...and the only reason I cared was because they froze our wages. Give me like 6 months and I could probably save them $1 mil, easy...and then give me like a $50,000 bonus. I'd consider that a fair trade.

I don't think you'll get that bonus.. but that's how it all began for me.. thinking about all the money I could save a hospital.

Was it because the *******s didn't give you your damned $3/hr raise?

No dude. It's probably because I got a $7 raise (my first raise as a pharmacist)...and I felt obligated. I went from $19.75 per hour to $27 per hour. I rock!

Members don't see this ad :)
No dude. It's probably because I got a $7 raise (my first raise as a pharmacist)...and I felt obligated. I went from $19.75 per hour to $27 per hour. I rock!

I know crackheads that make more than $19.75/hr. Just give them a styrofoam cup and an "unemployed veteran" sign.

Last edited:
You don't like the Circuit City example? Fine.

I actually liked it. It showed how ineffective your argument was.

How about transfer coupon? That idea failed miserably. Not only did customers transfer their prescriptions back and forth but they also received horrible customer service from the pharmacy and went back to their old pharmacy. Another great idea by the corporation.

So you're saying because the transfer coupon failed, WAGS "POWER" will fail too? I hope you're right..

You may know a lot about hospital pharmacy but you don't know jack about retail.

Really? But I know enough to have owned a retail pharmacy. We started one then sold it for a profit.

Mail order pharmacies did not destroy retail pharmacy as many had predicted (I am sure you did too).

Wow.. when did I make this prediction? Actually, I proposed a mail order refill pharmacy program for Southern Cal Kaiser System. I copied that idea from West LA VA. I think Kaiser used my idea but never gave me any credit because I was just a student doing a rotation. I always thought mail order would provide pharmacists more time to practice Pharmaceutical Care which was the buzz word in my early days.

You probably want the last word so I will step back (I always respect my elders).

Actually, I would like to see your response, if you will. I still don't know what point you're trying to make.

:smuggrin:

Agreed. Lately the quality of this forum has gone down significantly. On top of that, a few idiots here constantly end up discussing things that are not just off the topic, but are not related to pharmacy at all.

Oh the irony.. :smuggrin:

I'd have already won this argument by now. You both suck.

Bull Fight wouldn't be much of a spectator sport if the matador went after the jugular on the first strike. Fool!

You and Zpack would have a field day at my institution...:smuggrin:

working for the government is one different kind of animal!

You and Zpack would have a field day at my institution...:smuggrin:

working for the government is one different kind of animal!

Will the Army allow a private consultant to evaluate their practice?

Will the Army allow a private consultant to evaluate their practice?
we got our own consultants at the Pharmacoeconomic Center, which oddly enough is in San Antonio, that are the brains behind all the DOD operations...but its not any of us pharmacy people that want to be high on the hog, it's congress that forces us to spend as much money we can. If we don't spend our budget, we will get shortchanged the following year and we may actually need that money. unfortunately it's not like running a private business...

Agreed. Lately the quality of this forum has gone down significantly. On top of that, a few idiots here constantly end up discussing things that are not just off the topic, but are not related to pharmacy at all.
yeah, I hate those damn idiots...

That website hasn't been updated since 2005.

I told you...you'd be better off working for someone else.

Here is the career track you should consider.

MBA/MHA
DOP at a smaller hospital and make a huge impact
DOP at a larger hospital
Become a consultant

And if you can do this before 40... then you got it made. Chit...I wish someone would've told me this when I was a student. We didn't even have internet when I started RX school.

No matter who you work for, you're going to need some experience.

By the way, in case anyone doubted that we haven't seen the worst of this yet by far...

Attachments

• job losses (Custom).jpg
    job losses (Custom).jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 206
By the way, in case anyone doubted that we haven't seen the worst of this yet by far...

It's pretty serious. Hospitals are cutting back...medicaid isn't paying on time..reimbursement is decreasing.. drug cost is rising. It's really bleak.. I've never seen it this bad..

I predict we will see 10% unemployment by the end of the year.

That would be a skewed figure. If an engineer loses a job then starts working at a fast food joint, he's considered employed. But the truth is, if he's not working in his field and is making much less money, he should be considered unemployed or partially employed.

They announced today that there are going to be "meetings" next week that everyone has to sign up and go to. Nobody really knows what to expect...:scared:

That would be a skewed figure. If an engineer loses a job then starts working at a fast food joint, he's considered employed. But the truth is, if he's not working in his field and is making much less money, he should be considered unemployed or partially employed.

It's called underemployed. We'll see a slew of English PhDs hittin' the job market too. Be prepared to call your waitress "doctor"! :eek:

It's called underemployed. We'll see a slew of English PhDs hittin' the job market too. Be prepared to call your waitress "doctor"! :eek:

I know I hate the housing prices and the God-awful traffic...but maybe I should just stay in Mo'Town:

City has nation’s lowest jobless rate
Morgantown’s unemployment is 2.7 percent
BY TRACY EDDY The Dominion Post

It’s official — Morgantown is number one!
The latest data released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates that the city’s unemployment rate is 2.7 percent, making it the lowest unemployment rate in the nation (based on December 2008 data).
“We’re used to having the lowest unemployment rate in West Virginia,” said Don Reinke, director of the Monongalia County Development Authority. “And now to have the lowest unemployment rate in the nation — it’s remarkable.”
Reinke said one reason Morgantown is doing so well is because it is home to such a diversified economy that includes WVU; manufacturers, such as Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.; health care employers, such as Monongalia General Hospital and WVU Hospitals; as well as government employees.
Those jobs are what he calls “recession-resistant.”
“Those people will keep their jobs regardless of the national trends,” Reinke said. “People are still going to go to the doctor. Youngsters are still going to need to be educated and want to go after their higher education degree.”
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the national unemployment rate is 7.1 percent — an increase from December 2007 when it was 4.8 percent.
Logan, Utah, has the second lowest unemployment rate in the country at 2.8 percent.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics took data from 369 metropolitan areas. Unemployment rates in 363 areas were higher in December 2008 than they were a year earlier.
There are 153 metropolitan areas in the U.S. that have unemployment rates higher than the national unemployment rate, according to the data.
City Manager Dan Boroff said the city’s economic partnerships are what keeps it so strong.
WVU, the city’s hospitals and health care system, the government and the private sector have all worked together and have invested in the city, he said. Boroff cited the riverfront development along the Monongahela River as an example of that cooperation.
“In Morgantown we are very, very fortunate to have a strong and integrated economic base,” he said. “But we are not immune from the national problems. There are people in Morgantown who are losing money in their retirement and savings accounts. Local businesses with national and international markets are feeling the effects. We need to continue the cooperation and be attentive and not take anything for granted.”
Morgantown is not recessionproof as some have said, Reinke said, because the term suggests the city is immune to what’s happening across the U.S.
“We are not immune to the recessionary pressures,” he said. “We might fair better than most communities and not be hit as hard as most communities, but we’re not immune. As the year goes on, I think we’ll see the unemployment rate tick up, but we’ll maintain our position of having a relatively low unemployment rate in the state and the nation.”
Cassidy Canzani, an economist for the Bureau of Labor Statistics, previously explained to The Dominion Post that the unemployment rate represents the percentage of unemployed individuals in the entire labor force.
Employed people are defined as all people who did at least one hour of work as paid employees; worked in their own business, profession, or on their own farm; or worked 15 hours or more as unpaid workers in an enterprise operated by a member of the family, she said.
Canzani said people who had jobs or businesses from which they were temporarily absent because of vacation, illness, bad weather, childcare problems, maternity or paternity leave, labor management dispute, job training, or other family or personal reasons are also counted as employed, whether or not they were paid for their time off.
Unemployed people are defined as all people who had no employment but were available for work, except for temporary illness, and had made specific efforts to find employment, she said.
The labor force is all people who are classified as employed or unemployed, Canzani said.

They announced today that there are going to be "meetings" next week that everyone has to sign up and go to. Nobody really knows what to expect...:scared:

If I had to take a guess, maybe mandatory cut back on hours... like 32 hours per week for Full Time. If that's the case, get another job. I'm a firm believer in giving Full Time Employees 40 hours per week no matter what.

The problem is that Americans don't want the Government to interfere in the bussiness sector bc it would reflect communism in a way but when the system fails they are quick to blame the Government (although Bush is a big cause). The problem is that companies like FORD, Circuit City, etc did make HUGE profits but the CEO's took millions or god knows how much for just their salaries but now they cry out bc they never saved aton of money for the company.

With walgreens the entire company has always had major issues bc even when they sell a massive amount of prescriptions at a store they would still short staff bc they love saving money through any means. In my view as a tech for Walgreens for 3 years they are a pathetic company who pays their techs horrible, CUT THEIR CHRISTMAS BENEFIT TO ZERO yes zero unless u work their for like 5 year or what not. They do appear to treat their pharmacist well but the power system will change that. The Government needs to start opening bussinesses of it's own such as retail, car manufactures and use the profit to fund charities and other causes rather than let some greedy execs take millions or give stock holders the profit who end up dumping shares when things get bad. Secondly if PharmD's fall and the whole economy then so will MD's bc if ppl don't have money then certainly they can't afford to pay hospitals and insurace will go bancrupt as well. Sure MD's are one of the safest but do remember that not all make 300k but rather 150 - 200k so their pays would come down as well.

The problem is that Americans don't want the Government to interfere in the bussiness sector bc it would reflect communism in a way but when the system fails they are quick to blame the Government (although Bush is a big cause). The problem is that companies like FORD, Circuit City, etc did make HUGE profits but the CEO's took millions or god knows how much for just their salaries but now they cry out bc they never saved aton of money for the company.

With walgreens the entire company has always had major issues bc even when they sell a massive amount of prescriptions at a store they would still short staff bc they love saving money through any means. In my view as a tech for Walgreens for 3 years they are a pathetic company who pays their techs horrible, CUT THEIR CHRISTMAS BENEFIT TO ZERO yes zero unless u work their for like 5 year or what not. They do appear to treat their pharmacist well but the power system will change that. The Government needs to start opening bussinesses of it's own such as retail, car manufactures and use the profit to fund charities and other causes rather than let some greedy execs take millions or give stock holders the profit who end up dumping shares when things get bad. Secondly if PharmD's fall and the whole economy then so will MD's bc if ppl don't have money then certainly they can't afford to pay hospitals and insurace will go bancrupt as well. Sure MD's are one of the safest but do remember that not all make 300k but rather 150 - 200k so their pays would come down as well.

Man...that was hard to read...