its true HIGH GPA people are screened & interviewed 1st: at least at UCI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmejia1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with the admissions office at UCI because I have not recieved a secondary. Turns out they start at the 4.0 people and work down. Right now they are reviewing the 3.7 people. I then asked about MCAT cutoffs and she said that they really don't have one, but that many applicants have averages of 12s and 13s on each section of the MCAT. I definetly want my doctor to be competent enough to have done very well in undergrad, but come on! UCI and Pittsburg seem to extremely-stat-driven. UCI also granted some interviews prior to sending a secondary. And the only reason why I planned to take the second quarter of Biochem was just for UCI's requirement. My 3.6 may not be good enough for them--but come to think about it I wouldn't want to attend a school like that. My advisor also mentioned to me that UCI woefully lacks in diversity. So I won't be worrying about UCI anylonger.

Members don't see this ad.

UCI is one of those schools that is competitive to get into but it doesnt correlate with the strength of education there. The other 4 UC schools are in a different league than UCI.

By the way 12s and 13s on the MCAT are a load of bull. Ignore that.

I received their secondary and decided not to fill it out because I would rather go to an out-of-state private school to get the better education even with the cost difference.

I don't have a 3.7, nor do I have a 12 average on the MCAT (close), and I recieved a secondary. Just sent it in about two weeks ago. And I have a good friend that has a 26MCAT and 3.6 and got his secondary 2 weeks before me. I don't know what their deal is.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are definitely not screnning by GPA because I have close to a 4.0 and my MCAT is with their "supposed" average and I have not heard anything from UCI. What gives? :mad:

I was verified 11-3 and got their request for secondary on 11-4. Submitted "UC Primary" on 10-15. 33Q, 3.94 SCI, 3.81 CUM. I'm still waiting for UCSF. I got UCSD and UCD before I was verified. Just got UCLA a couple of days ago. Good luck to everyone!!!!!!

There's definite randomness here. 3.9 GPA, 30R MCAT. I got SF first, then Davis, then LA, then Irvine, and SD just came last week.

My stats are very similar to none's and my UC aps arrived in the same order. Nevertheless, I think the whole thing is completely random.

Again, similar stats as you guys. UCSF, Davis secondaries earlier. Just got UCSD. Nuthin from Irvine or UCLA.
I asked this on a different thread, but here goes again. Would it be unethical to post UCLA secondary questions here? Would anyone mind? It'd be nice to know what I'm in for at least. Plus I'm trying to distract myself from that bored/anxious combo that we all know so well. ;) ;)

It's not unethical. You'll find that people on this forum are very eager to help.

I remember reading the secondary questions on another post some time ago, but I don't remember the questions. Do a search; it might take some time but you'll find the thread eventually.

About UCI's screening procedures, I have no idea why the UCI admissions office told me about a hiearchial review process yet it seems that that may not be the case. However, there are aleast three people on this thread with really high GPAs that did recieve a Secondary while there is one hearsay 3.6 and 26 MCAT. Also Keith turned in his primary application a whole two months after me and as well was verifed a month after and I am yet to hear back from the about a secondary.

Neeless to say, congratuations to those who have received a secondary. High GPAs are definetly comendable. My gripe was that it appeared that UCI placed too much emphasis on stats.

To Weeble:

Here are the UCLA secondary questions. You'll notice that some of the questions are redundant. As such, they state that you do not need to answer all of them. There is an 800 character limit per question.

1. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

2.What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

3. Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

4. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

5. What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

6. What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?

There was also a question asking you to list your major work experience and another question that asks you if you would like to explain any hardships that you may have faced in life (sorry, that was really wordy!). Good luck..I hope you get their secondary soon!
:)

Awesome, Paisley! Thanks! :) :) :) :) :) :D

I have to disagree with jmejia1 and ucla2001 about their negative statements about UCI.

To jmejia's statement, "My advisor also mentioned to me that UCI woefully lacks in diversity." I must insist that UCI is very diverse in the makeup in their class. There are at least 5 students who have families, many non-trad students, very racially diverse, etc. Just look at their matriculant stats (please, before making a statement like that). You can argue that the students may not be diverse in extracurriculars, but that is a moot point in having "diverse" people. It make look bad beacause UCI tries to suck up the really qualified people before the other UCs because people tend to like the big names like UCLA and UCSF.

ucla2001 said, "UCI is one of those schools that is competitive to get into but it doesnt correlate with the strength of education there. The other 4 UC schools are in a different league than UCI." This sounds like real biased stuff, especially coming from somebody with "UCLA" in their nick. UCI has had 100% of its students pass the boards in the last two years. That has to show they are doing something right. You can argue that UCI is a growing medschool, therefore its name doesn't carry much weight (yet), but to say it is in a different, lower, league than the other UCs is just ignorant.

Well, I must confess that I go to UCI for undergrad and I really want to go the UCI Medical School, so my opinions are also biased. However, don't overlook this growing school. It will be right up there with UCLA in the coming years. It is already known as one of the top neuroscience research/medicine centers in the country. We have 2 nobel laurates teaching here, one doing research that one him the nobel prize here.

Peace

FYI,
For all of you waiting on the UCLA 2dary, check out thier website. They have a application status database. When I checked it, there were instructions to fill out my 2dary on-line. But, I didn't receive a letter in the mail inviting me to fill it out until 3 weeks later. So check thier website everyone!

I must disagree that diversity in a class only means racial diversity and age diversity. If the class is made up of all the racial groups that exist in the ritzy neighborhoods throughout CA, then that would not be a very diverse group even if they were only 35% white.

Diversity also means having a multitude of extra curriculars and life experiences. On my interview at UCSD, I stayed with a second year student who had Ph.D. in Classics (Latin) from Penn. The oldest student in that class has a Ph.D. in Linguistics. That is also a very diverse group.

The people in the admin office of UCI are very honest and don't try to pull your leg. If they told you they use a kind of hierarchy system, well that means they do!!! UCI med is really hard to get into b/c numbers alone won't get you in.

I don't know about being stat driven at UCI. In fact, I'd go to say that they rank probably among the most thorough UC med schools, so numbers definitely aren't anything. I got into UC Irvine last year w/a sub 3.6, and nowhere near numbers that would average 12/13's on the MCAT.

At the interviews, in terms of diversity I saw plenty. Everyone was laid back, and the school seemed to really heading in the right direction. I didn't like the hospital being quite a distance a way though and the closed campus vs. open city type of atmosphere. Nevertheless, I would have gone there if I hadn't chosen my present school.

Good luck, its not impossible if you just have hope. If your letters of rec are great, and you have a little luck, then you will have a chance.

wyldstyle2000
MS1
Saint Louis University