ITT: Well Dressed Doctor Crew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrideNeverDie

We're all gonna make it brah
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
inspired by the Residency Interview thread

post things you have seen worn as day-to-day apparel
what can you pull off without looking tryhard or like a douchebag?

can we all agree that the basic attire is something along the lines of Brook Brothers, AE Strands, ~$300 watch?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about med students, residents, or attendings?

I tend to wear loafers on the wards, my favorite are gucci or martenagi, although comfort with reasonable style really drove that decision, the gucci's are hardly artisan and they're pretty worn in. Sometimes I'll wear sperry penny loafers with rubber soles. I wear mostly zara for shirts because of the spread collar and fit ( I like RL black label shirts a lot too but generally won't wear them every day because of the wear/tear) and BR/zara pants for the same reason. Ties are pretty variable; I'll wear anything from express to rlbl to charvet/Hermes/lanvin as long as it's < 3" wide.

Last edited:
Are you talking about med students, residents, or attendings?

are you referring to my "basic attire?" i'm sure it depends on a lot of factors such as location.

the intent of the thread is just to get some people who are interested in dressing well to post. i doubt there will be enough interest generated to consider opening multiple threads.

p.s. can we all agree to drop the "so and so is showing off or is using daddy and mommy's money" attitude in this thread? i'd like to see what a doctor who is used to dressing well for finance like drizzt would wear without the spam. same goes for the JAB bashing (i own like 4 suits CEOing 10k debt/day).

my dad still wears cheap suits from LA fashion district and dress shoes from Macys or something like that. what would u guys suggest in the ~$600 range? BB clearance section or Hart Schaffner Marx?

Members don't see this ad :)
In the 600 range, assuming you can try stuff on to determine your size, I think Sierra trading post has unbelievable deals on belvest, Isaia, etc. Im also very fond of corneliani/RL blue label stuff, which should be easy to find for 600. My favorite sleeper brand if you don't mind buying online is luigi bianchi mantova, which gilt sells regularly.

For a beginner, Suit Supply is worth a look and should be in your budget range.

Most of the Isaia stuff on Sierra is ridiculous - pink checks and the such. I dont think that's what he's looking for. A staple Isaia is hard to find.

If you're young and in shape, I wouldn't recommend HSM. Some of the Brooks Brothers models (Fitzgerald) are probably what you're looking for...but to me rather uninspiring.

Im with you. I don't care what the peanut gallery says I refuse to dress like a bum..
Ill comment on suits..

Having said that..One does not have to spend $2400 on a suit..You can spend much less and turn heads twice..

I think its a strong move to go to the Mens Wharehouse, pick out what you like and have there best "image consulant salesman" match that particular suit to your liking, dress or casual.

I've gotta be honest, I kinda regret ranking the Mayo Clinic so low on my rank list for residencies (I did so because although I tend to like moderately cold weather, I could never stand the Rochester, MN winters). They wear suits all day everyday, and it would've at least given me an excuse for making a few more big suit purchases. It's nice when you're basically required to step up your game (although I imagine just because they're donning a suit there it doesn't mean they're doing it correctly).

But, since I'll be headed to a program that dresses about the same as any other program (slacks, button-up shirt, +/- tie, white coat), guess I'm out of luck.

Where do you guys fall on the "no tie if you don't have a jacket" issue? I'm usually a pretty big proponent of that, although I've never been quite sure what to make of it when you add the white coat. I'm obviously not gonna wear a blazer in clinic (let alone a suit), but residents at my future derm program do usually wear their white coats on a regular basis. I wore a tie all the time during 3rd year and during Derm rotations/aways 4th year, mostly because I figured it was "expected" of me, and not doing so might somehow come off "disrespectful." That said, I spent the rest of 4th year sans tie (and sans white coat), and as a TY intern this year I usually go slacks, oxford button-down, and white coat with no tie.

Anyway, for suits I have a DKNY and CK one that were fairly cheap (~$350-450 IIRC), and then got them tailored to perfection. I'm also pretty big into bodybuiling and my physique changes a bit from time to time depending on the amount of time I have to lift, so I didn't want to drop $2k on a suit that might not fit me a year from now. I do tend to put more money into buying nice shoes (well, nice for me....right now I tend to stick mostly with AEs, haven't made the jump to Alden or C&J or anything beyond). To me, a great pair of shoes with moderately inexpensive but well-tailored clothing is the best balance right now.

I've gotten some good mileage out of my two suits lately for friends' weddings. I don't really see me buying any more suits in the near future, since I'm currently in the market for a tuxedo for my wedding.

If I have surgery I'll wear birkenstock clogs and scrubs. If I have clinic I'll wear a nice suit (Zegna, Tom Ford, etc.) with some Ferragamo drivers. Outside of work I usually wear LV drivers, slacks, and a shirt.

are you referring to my "basic attire?" i'm sure it depends on a lot of factors such as location.

the intent of the thread is just to get some people who are interested in dressing well to post. i doubt there will be enough interest generated to consider opening multiple threads.

p.s. can we all agree to drop the "so and so is showing off or is using daddy and mommy's money" attitude in this thread? i'd like to see what a doctor who is used to dressing well for finance like drizzt would wear without the spam. same goes for the JAB bashing (i own like 4 suits CEOing 10k debt/day).

my dad still wears cheap suits from LA fashion district and dress shoes from Macys or something like that. what would u guys suggest in the ~$600 range? BB clearance section or Hart Schaffner Marx?

Tommy Hillfiger and Brooks Brothers make some decent suits in that range. IF you can snag an Isaia in that range I would pull the trigger, but it's very hit or miss.

Where do you guys fall on the "no tie if you don't have a jacket" issue? I'm usually a pretty big proponent of that, although I've never been quite sure what to make of it when you add the white coat. I'm obviously not gonna wear a blazer in clinic (let alone a suit), but residents at my future derm program do usually wear their white coats on a regular basis. I wore a tie all the time during 3rd year and during Derm rotations/aways 4th year, mostly because I figured it was "expected" of me, and not doing so might somehow come off "disrespectful." That said, I spent the rest of 4th year sans tie (and sans white coat), and as a TY intern this year I usually go slacks, oxford button-down, and white coat with no tie.

Depends on the occasion, the shirt, and the jacket. I think it's generally OK to not wear a tie in most cases (that I can recall during my residency and med school years) . Some suits you can wear without ties. I have a light brown day/evening suit that I wear with no tie. Looks great. Smart, yet relaxed. It's perfect for church, tea, birthday parties, etc. Night stuff is usually suit and tie. It's all about the occasion.

I tend to wear slim fitting flat front chinos/slacks with wingtips (mostly with no socks in the summer) and a nice sock in the winter. If I dress more formal I will throw some captoes on. Loafers are a nice addition as well and very versatile. Just make sure they arent the kind your 60 yr old grandfather wears. I am tall and very into fashion, but never want to dress TOO sartorial for a med student. I like everything fitted and tailored properly as well. Usually go for a ludlow shirt or charles tyrwhitt non-iron shirt with spread collars. I dont like crazy patterns, and typically wear refined check patterns with plain ties or solid shirts with striped tie. As the previous poster said, definitely only wear ties < 3". Anything bigger than that and you look like a republican congressman.

As far as the watch goes -- I stick with less than $300 for now. I wear a casual watch bc it is good for all occasions. I wouldnt feel right wearing a tag, rolex, etc as a medical student. Too pretentious and too soon. Once I am done, that's a completely different story :)

I tended to actually wear my explorer II or submariner no dates on the wards in med school because they were less noticeable than other watches. I think Rolexes are pretty stealth luxury unless they're iced out or gold.

RMEX203-face.jpg

20050816-201431.jpg

I tended to actually wear my explorer II or submariner no dates on the wards in med school because they were less noticeable than other watches. I think Rolexes are pretty stealth luxury unless they're iced out or gold.

RMEX203-face.jpg

20050816-201431.jpg

I agree with that. I just hate it if I have a nicer watch than the attending.

Probably not the only place you're trumping your attending. After working with attendings in just about every single specialty from IM to Neurosurg to Peds to Derm, I can probably count on one hand the number of docs who looked like they actually had a clue how to dress, and weren't wearing your garden variety Rockports coupled with super-relaxed-fit khaki chinos.

I tend to wear slim fitting flat front chinos/slacks with wingtips (mostly with no socks in the summer) and a nice sock in the winter.

In what situations can you get away with the wingtips sans socks? Is it a seasonal thing?

I agree with that. I just hate it if I have a nicer watch than the attending.

That's almost certainly going to be the situation if I'm wearing a watch at all so I just don't pay any attention to it, which is probably going to be the case for the attending as well.

In what situations can you get away with the wingtips sans socks? Is it a seasonal thing?

I usually do it in the spring, summer, and early fall. I'm in the south and it stays pretty hot down here for a while. There aren't really any rules on it but it is nice to have a sock on in cold temps! To clarify myself though, I wear no show socks. They are like little bootie things that you can wear with your oxfords, loafers, wingtips, etc. that gives the appearance of no socks without the foot sweat and smell of bare feet inside a shoe all day. I personally only think showing ankle looks good in a tapered pant. A wide leg/classic fit doesn't look right at all. Only nicer shoes can you pull this off with

Yes, this a "little" humourous..Since this is a somewhat meticulous and detailed thread. I think one could more easily get away without a belt on a nice, tailored suit then with wing tips without socks..I do not mean any disrespect..
Mens wear has so few accessories.(socks, perhaps belt, tie bar/tie, pocket square)

I usually do it in the spring, summer, and early fall. I'm in the south and it stays pretty hot down here for a while. There aren't really any rules on it but it is nice to have a sock on in cold temps! To clarify myself though, I wear no show socks. They are like little bootie things that you can wear with your oxfords, loafers, wingtips, etc. that gives the appearance of no socks without the foot sweat and smell of bare feet inside a shoe all day. I personally only think showing ankle looks good in a tapered pant. A wide leg/classic fit doesn't look right at all. Only nicer shoes can you pull this off with

Oh!..Nice optical illusion and creativity!..That is a good, unique twist and I thought that might be an invisibile sock..:luck:

Last edited:
Yes, this a "little" humourous..Since this is a somewhat meticulous and detailed thread. I think one could more easily get away without a belt on a nice, tailored suit then with wing tips without socks..I do not mean any disrespect..
Mens wear has so few accessories.(socks, perhaps belt, tie bar/tie, pocket square)

I def agree with the no belt as a way to styleize your suit. I stress though that it must be tailored and fitted. I don't do the no belt look but it is a nice way to dress down a suit in an applicable environment.