It’s worth it. (And a story.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Yes, it’s a long read. But if you are having a rough time, it may help.

Other than my AMA, I’ve only started one other thread on SDN. This is my third. I think it’s important to write, given all of the posts I’ve seen from people struggling with medical school and wondering if they did the right thing.

If you are one of those struggling people, bear with me for a few minutes, and I will tell you a story from my perspective as an attending, someone on the other side who was in your shoes not so long ago.

Click the "spoiler" link below to read the whole thing, and a story about a patient named Jack.

It is easy to get bogged down in the endless hamster wheel of studying, lectures, exams, the terror and self doubt of step 1, research, rotations, evaluations, etc. I’m not surprised so many trainees, both medical student and resident alike, lose sight of why they entered this field in the first place.

I’ll be the first to say that altruism is not always our primary driver. Prestige, money, pride, cultural expectations, etc. are all factors to some degree, for all of us. And no permutation of those factors is wrong or right. Your drivers are your own. If only saints got admitted to medical school, our adcoms and professors (@LizzyM @gyngyn @Goro) would be out of a job. But I would like to think that on some level, everyone who chooses to become a physician gets joy, a sense of worth, from helping patients.

But it is difficult to help patients when you are a student, or even a resident. You have no real power or decision-making abilities. You are somebody’s bitch, often used for scut work or closing wounds, signing scripts and doing discharge summaries. Patients barely remember who you are.

On top of that, during our training years, most of us struggle with health problems, both mental and physical. Some of us move away from our families, skip holidays and birthdays, miss our children’s milestones. Some of us lose relationships, get divorced, cheat, or get cheated on. Many of us (including me) have lost friends and colleagues to suicide, have been depressed (also me), and seriously considered suicide, enough to require treatment (yep, also me).

These years are long, they are tiring, they are demoralizing, and most people who have not gone through it have no capacity to understand what it is like. Yet people who have not been in the trenches have no problem saying that we are too arrogant, or make too much money, etc. It’s not a nice thing to hear, given the level of sacrifice physicians make.

Oh, and in residency, it gets worse before it gets better. Remember that.

So why, year after year, do people enter this field? Many of my friends say that no amount of money would be worth it. What are these physicians seeing that so many of us lose sight of? It can’t be that having gone through it, we all have Stockholm syndrome and suddenly fall in love with something we hated. (Certainly some part of that is true, but not all.) There is something deeper.

As a surgeon, I’m one of those lucky enough to see my results very quickly. It appeals to my impatient personality. But the fleeting happiness of getting a good reduction on x-ray or a quick “thank you” didn’t feel sustaining. And the amorphous concept of “self-worth” didn’t seem solid. Even as an attending, if somebody had asked me, “why did you choose this?”… I didn’t really have a fantastic answer. I could tell you why I chose orthopedics over all other medical specialties. I could say, because it’s cool, because I make money, because I get to fix people… But the soul of it eluded me. And if I myself could not answer why I was a physician, having already gone through residency, what kind of doctor was I?

My residency was brutal, and I know there are even worse ones out there. (Looking at you, gensurg and IM.) It seriously sucked the life out of me, and only bullheaded stubbornness kept me going at times. I wasn’t eating or sleeping, and at some point I had a BMI of 18. I survived call by eating soggy ER patient sandwiches (I still gag, thinking of that). I was far from my family and had no friends outside of work in my city. I broke off my engagement, and made many mistakes in my personal life. I wonder if at some point, I had known why I was going to be a doctor, and with the constant beating of stress on my soul, I just forgot.

And now I’m going to tell you a story, about Jack. (Not his real name, hipaa compliance.)

Jack was a laborer who sustained a bad open fracture of his tibia. I fixed it, but he was not healing. He had done everything right, quit smoking and stayed off it, but gradually his leg was bending sideways. I was sure that he was infected, and so I decided to take him back and do a two-stage procedure: hardware removal and bone biopsy and cultures first, and then if he didn’t grow anything, revision later.

I was not excited to tell him it would take (at least) another two surgeries to get him healed, and more if he was infected. He’d already been through 3 procedures with me, and every time I saw him in the office, he looked at me with skepticism (and who wouldn’t, after 3 surgeries?) I could have all the discussions I wanted, but Jack hadn’t gone through ortho residency and didn’t know how difficult open tibias could be, that they had a tendency not to heal. All he saw was his sideways-bending leg, and a (young) surgeon whom he had no reason to trust.

Additionally, over months of treatment, Jack had said maybe a total of fifty words to me. His wife did most of the talking. I stared at the leg. And Jack just stared at me. And that’s how our visits went. It was uncomfortable. Most of my trauma patients love to talk. Not Jack. When he showed up on my clinic schedule, I dreaded it. I felt like he didn’t trust me and would even sue me (even if I had done everything right). I couldn’t tell whether he was sad, angry, scared, happy, hopeful—nothing. It was always the same face.

But when his stubbornly non-healing leg became impossible to ignore or “give more time to heal,” I decided to go for broke, resting-serial-killer-face be damned. I was gonna give Jack the rundown of what I planned and how we were going to heal his leg. I drew his fractures on my sawbone skeleton and brought it in to show him, gave him all the options.

The only thing he asked me, after 45 minutes, was what kind of factors would cause his leg to be amputated. I told him, and said we were very far away from that. He said, “ok.”

Fast forward to the day of the surgery. I didn’t want to delay him any longer than necessary, so I scheduled him for a light day in the OR. Which also happened to be the day my husband was having (minor) surgery.

Of course, the two of them were scheduled as first cases. Facepalm. The night before, I tell my husband, “I’m going to quickly drop you off and hide so he doesn’t see me out here.”

Not so lucky. The moment I drop my husband off in the preop waiting area and hug him, there’s Jack hobbling in the door, and of course I feel obligated to tell him why I’m there, hugging some dude. So there we are in the waiting room...me, my husband...and Jack. They get put back into their respective little patient rooms and I go to “preop-check” Jack. The first thing he says, “so is your husband’s surgery serious? I just want to make sure your head is in the game.”

Now I feel like an idiot...I should have just delayed him, now he’s going to think I’m not gonna do his surgery right (even though I’ve spent weeks thinking about it). I assure him that he’s the only one I’m thinking about and that my husband’s surgery is minor outpatient.

Surgery goes well, first stage. I get the cultures, and plan on sending him home. In the PACU, I tell him things went well and that I will return to tell him more as he’s still sleepy from the anesthesia. He says, “I understand if you don’t want to talk to me.” I tell him that I do, I just don’t think he will remember what I tell him. But he seems lucid enough, so I start going through our plan again, and how I got tons of cultures and what will happen if he’s infected, etc. it’s the same as every interaction we have had: I assure him we will take care of this, he stares, and then we move on.

As I’m going through my spiel, Jack suddenly reaches out, and grabs my hand, which is resting on the railing of the stretcher. I freeze. It’s not a hard grab, just a gentle hold. He doesn’t say anything, just stares at me. I look into his eyes and suddenly realize—this man is terrified. It is the first sign of emotion he has shown in the many months I’ve treated him. My brain reverts to those dumb ethics lectures in med school where you are supposed to touch the patient and make them feel better.

I’ve never been touchy-feely, and those lectures always felt a bit patronizing. The “there, there” would piss me off if I were a patient. But there I am, and I know I am expected to do something. He is showing me what’s behind the wall, and what I say next will make or break this relationship. I know it with complete certainty.

I don’t try to break out of his hold. I don’t pat him, either. Instead, I just look at his face, and hear myself say, before I’ve even had a chance to formulate a proper answer, “no matter what happens with this leg, we will get you through this. We will fix it.”

He lets me go, and lets out a breath. “Thank you.”

I’m not gonna lie. I’ve seen people die, or lose limbs. I’ve had a lot of “thank you”s, and a lot of “f*** you”s in my life. I rarely get emotional. But when I left that pacu, it took all I had to keep myself from crying. No lecture can prepare you for another human suddenly and completely relying on you to help them. It’s not just a thank you, the way you thank your barista when they make your coffee just right (though believe me, my Dunkin people keep me alive). It is a baring of the soul, the ultimate human connection that occurs outside of family ties.

And that’s why it is worth it. No other feeling, save for perhaps the one you get from your loved ones, is more satisfying. It’s hard to imagine it when you’re in residency, or med school...maybe you’ve never had it. Maybe you won’t, until you are an attending. The feeling that you are worthy of this great trust that people put in you. So when you struggle, and hustle, and suffer, and (sometimes) almost die....remember, your own version of Jack is out there. Ultimately, the treatment itself doesn’t matter. Whether that leg is lost or saved, it is not what you did, but how you did it. Your own Jack doesn’t even know you exist yet, but the time will come when he will be scared, and upset, and angry, and it is you who will come to him during the dark hour and say, “I will help you.” Keep thinking about him, and the hundreds and thousands like him, whom your dedication to your work will touch during your lifetime. This is the light at the end of the tunnel. It is the only light that truly matters.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 210 users
This is one of those threads that is going to be referenced for a long time to come when people are burned out and have forgotten why they've signed up for this. Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: 7 users

Other than my AMA, I’ve only started one other thread on SDN. This is my third. I think it’s important to write, given all of the posts I’ve seen from people struggling with medical school and wondering if they did the right thing.

If you are one of those struggling people, bear with me for a few minutes, and I will tell you a story from my perspective as an attending, someone on the other side who was in your shoes not so long ago.

Click the "spoiler" link below to read the whole thing, and a story about a patient named Jack.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/spoiler][/spoiler]
Moderators, PLEASE STICKY!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Inspiring and worthwhile read. Your writing clearly conveys your strong passion for your work and your dedication to your patients.

Reactions: 2 users
This is beautiful and came at a much needed time (I just posted a thread about feeling overwhelmed with school before I saw this one). Thank you.

Reactions: 5 users
I needed this today. Thank you for taking the time to share it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for sharing. You’re the kind of doctor I’d want ORIF-ing me.

Reactions: 4 users
This couldn't have come at a better time for me. I was looking for confirmation and decided to log on. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are very welcome. And of course, thread is open to any residents or attendings who want to share their own stories of patient encounters that made them think this whole thing was worth it. The more positive thinking we can get on here, the better. So much fear and negativity to be countered.

Residency is no walk in the park, and truthfully I am still adjusting to intern year, but I have already had a few moments that bring clarity. Doctoring has the potential to bring on a very special feeling, it's truly a privilege. Thanks for taking the time to express it, OP. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Good read, it is good to know that i break some bones :xf:. There will be a doctor that will treat me with respect, humbleness and compassion. And most importantly put the bones back in place :playful:

BTW: WHy is Crayola account on hold, one of the top contributors. :yeahright:

Thank you for inspiring us and reminding all about the greatest gift our patients give us, their vulnerability. Freezing in a paper gown in the office, awaiting potentially life changing lab results, easing their pain, mental and physical. This is what we need to remember on those many tedious days we have at work. Those ethics and professionalism courses aren't for nothing. Connecting with a patient at these times is part of excellent care.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for inspiring us and reminding all about the greatest gift our patients give us, their vulnerability. Freezing in a paper gown in the office, awaiting potentially life changing lab results, easing their pain, mental and physical. This is what we need to remember on those many tedious days we have at work. Those ethics and professionalism courses aren't for nothing. Connecting with a patient at these times is part of excellent care.

It’s funny that you mention “freezing in a paper gown”… In that story I wrote, my poor husband had to wear a gown as well preop. He was so cold and miserable that I went and got him warm blankets that I stole from the warmer in the OR. He was so happy afterwards… I have this great before and after picture where he is making the saddest puppy face on earth....Being cold isn’t good!

Reactions: 5 users
It’s funny that you mention “freezing in a paper gown”… In that story I wrote, my poor husband had to wear a gown as well preop. He was so cold and miserable that I went and got him warm blankets that I stole from the warmer in the OR. He was so happy afterwards… I have this great before and after picture where he is making the saddest puppy face on earth....Being cold isn’t good!

I always steal the warm blankets

Solid dose of motivation.

Update on Jack: I actually did his (hopefully) final revision surgery today. 3 plates, a busted vessel, pelvic autograft, 9 hours of absolute hell.
He asked me afterwards in pacu, “any plans for tonight?” I said, “...food. food will be nice.”

Reactions: 12 users
Medicine is wonderful and awful. Depending to some degree on your field, a lot of your day to day is going to feel mundane, you're likely to encounter @$$holes / ungratefulness / entitledness with some regularity, and it isn't a rare moment that youll be a part of something objectively terrible, whether that's a new cancer diagnosis, a drowned child, whatever. The paper(computer)work is a chore. It frequently feels like there are a number of things serving no pupose but to interfere with your ability to provide good patient care. A natural coping mechanism to deal with the frustrations of medicine is to distance yourself, become dispassionate. To some degree this is necessary, but to forgo the vulnerability of emotional investment in your patients and their families deprives you of the humanity in medicine and the fulfillment that comes with you and your patients successes, and I think that's what drew most of us to the field. Retaining that doesn't come (to me at least) without conscious effort, so put that effort in. Its worth it because medicine is dope as ****. Typed on mobile at like 0300, excuse the rambling and whatever typos

A short story:

I'm a NICU fellow. I got called out for a delivery the other day where a kid was crashing from an otherwise low risk delivery. Likely some birth trauma and HIE. The pH on the cord gas was less than 7 and they couldn't get the saturations above 70. They didn't know what to do. We get there STAT. The kid also had a pneumothorax that I saw when I got there. I intubate, do a needle decompression and put in a chest tube, put in an urgent central line, and start cooling on the way to home base. A week and a half later, he is discharged in room air, with a completely normal MRI and a normal neuro exam. It felt good. Worth the hours of USMLE, the residency..all of it! Seeing those parents walk out with that baby made it all worthwhile. They sent me a card yesterday thanking me personally. All the paperwork and all the nonsense you have to do - stuff like this makes up for it.

People told me I was crazy for picking pediatrics given my med school debt, but I wouldn't do anything else with my life. Somehow I'm managing a marriage and a family too.

Keep your chin up. It's worth it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
A short story:

I'm a NICU fellow. I got called out for a delivery the other day where a kid was crashing from an otherwise low risk delivery. Likely some birth trauma and HIE. The pH on the cord gas was less than 7 and they couldn't get the saturations above 70. They didn't know what to do. We get there STAT. The kid also had a pneumothorax that I saw when I got there. I intubate, do a needle decompression and put in a chest tube, put in an urgent central line, and start cooling on the way to home base. A week and a half later, he is discharged in room air, with a completely normal MRI and a normal neuro exam. It felt good. Worth the hours of USMLE, the residency..all of it! Seeing those parents walk out with that baby made it all worthwhile. They sent me a card yesterday thanking me personally. All the paperwork and all the nonsense you have to do - stuff like this makes up for it.

People told me I was crazy for picking pediatrics given my med school debt, but I wouldn't do anything else with my life. Somehow I'm managing a marriage and a family too.

Keep your chin up. It's worth it!

Well done! Have you ever read “Intern Blues?” It’s about pediatric interns in NY before the 80 hr workweek. Brutal story...that’s still how I imagine peds.

I've been absent for a while as the rigors of being a new fellow have occupied most of my waking hours. It's nice to come back and read something like this. Thank you. Cheers.

Well done! Have you ever read “Intern Blues?” It’s about pediatric interns in NY before the 80 hr workweek. Brutal story...that’s still how I imagine peds.

No but I've heard good things!

Last edited:
So.....pass?

I actually thought it was worth the read for the most part. One of the three interns is whiny AF (well they all kind of are, but the other two are self aware enough to realize the stress is making them that way—the other one is not which is what makes her super annoying).

I'll put it on my list! Although I'd rather not relive intern year. ;)

It was more stressful than my fellowship even though I made virtually no 'life or death' type decisions.

A story that will stay with me forever is a bone marrow transplant kid that I played checkers with for six month, who ended up dying while I was holding his hand, waiting for his parents to arrive. I actually physically threw up in the bathroom afterwards.

I'll put it on my list! Although I'd rather not relive intern year. ;)

It was more stressful than my fellowship even though I made virtually no 'life or death' type decisions.

A story that will stay with me forever is a bone marrow transplant kid that I played checkers with for six month, who ended up dying while I was holding his hand, waiting for his parents to arrive. I actually physically threw up in the bathroom afterwards.

That's a really long game of checkers

Only cause he was cheating.

I actually thought it was worth the read for the most part. One of the three interns is whiny AF (well they all kind of are, but the other two are self aware enough to realize the stress is making them that way—the other one is not which is what makes her super annoying).

I know omg I wanted to smack her. I also guessed her fate in the epilogue accurately.

But yes book is worth it.
I’m re-watching scrubs and also dying lol

Thank you for sharing, I needed this

It is easy to get bogged down in the endless hamster wheel of studying, lectures, exams, the terror and self doubt of step 1, research, rotations, evaluations, etc. I’m not surprised so many trainees, both medical student and resident alike, lose sight of why they entered this field in the first place.

I’ll be the first to say that altruism is not always our primary driver. Prestige, money, pride, cultural expectations, etc. are all factors to some degree, for all of us. And no permutation of those factors is wrong or right. Your drivers are your own. If only saints got admitted to medical school, our adcoms and professors (@LizzyM @gyngyn @Goro) would be out of a job. :) But I would like to think that on some level, everyone who chooses to become a physician gets joy, a sense of worth, from helping patients.

But it is difficult to help patients when you are a student, or even a resident. You have no real power or decision-making abilities. You are somebody’s bitch, often used for scut work or closing wounds, signing scripts and doing discharge summaries. Patients barely remember who you are.

On top of that, during our training years, most of us struggle with health problems, both mental and physical. Some of us move away from our families, skip holidays and birthdays, miss our children’s milestones. Some of us lose relationships, get divorced, cheat, or get cheated on. Many of us (including me) have lost friends and colleagues to suicide, have been depressed (also me), and seriously considered suicide, enough to require treatment (yep, also me).

These years are long, they are tiring, they are demoralizing, and most people who have not gone through it have no capacity to understand what it is like. Yet people who have not been in the trenches have no problem saying that we are too arrogant, or make too much money, etc. It’s not a nice thing to hear, given the level of sacrifice physicians make.

So why, year after year, do people enter this field? Many of my friends say that no amount of money would be worth it. What are these physicians seeing that so many of us lose sight of? It can’t be that having gone through it, we all have Stockholm syndrome and suddenly fall in love with something we hated. (Certainly some part of that is true, but not all.) There is something deeper.

As a surgeon, I’m one of those lucky enough to see my results very quickly. It appeals to my impatient personality. But the fleeting happiness of getting a good reduction on x-ray or a quick “thank you” didn’t feel sustaining. And the amorphous concept of “self-worth” didn’t seem solid. Even as an attending, if somebody had asked me, “why did you choose this?”… I didn’t really have a fantastic answer. I could tell you why I chose orthopedics over all other medical specialties. I could say, because it’s cool, because I make money, because I get to fix people… But the soul of it eluded me. And if I myself could not answer why I was a physician, having already gone through residency, what kind of doctor was I?

My residency was brutal, and I know there are even worse ones out there. (Looking at you, gensurg and IM.) It seriously sucked the life out of me, and only bullheaded stubbornness kept me going at times. I wasn’t eating or sleeping, and at some point I had a BMI of 18. I survived call by eating soggy ER patient sandwiches (I still gag, thinking of that). I was far from my family and had no friends outside of work in my city. I broke off my engagement, and made many mistakes in my personal life. I wonder if at some point, I had known why I was going to be a doctor, and with the constant beating of stress on my soul, I just forgot.

And now I’m going to tell you a story, about Jack. (Not his real name, hipaa compliance.)

Jack was a laborer who sustained a bad open fracture of his tibia. I fixed it, but he was not healing. He had done everything right, quit smoking and stayed off it, but gradually his leg was bending sideways. I was sure that he was infected, and so I decided to take him back and do a two-stage procedure: hardware removal and bone biopsy and cultures first, and then if he didn’t grow anything, revision later.

I was not excited to tell him it would take (at least) another two surgeries to get him healed, and more if he was infected. He’d already been through 3 procedures with me, and every time I saw him in the office, he looked at me with skepticism (and who wouldn’t, after 3 surgeries?) I could have all the discussions I wanted, but Jack hadn’t gone through ortho residency and didn’t know how difficult open tibias could be, that they had a tendency not to heal. All he saw was his sideways-bending leg, and a (young) surgeon whom he had no reason to trust.

Additionally, over months of treatment, Jack had said maybe a total of fifty words to me. His wife did most of the talking. I stared at the leg. And Jack just stared at me. And that’s how our visits went. It was uncomfortable. Most of my trauma patients love to talk. Not Jack. When he showed up on my clinic schedule, I dreaded it. I felt like he didn’t trust me and would even sue me (even if I had done everything right). I couldn’t tell whether he was sad, angry, scared, happy, hopeful—nothing. It was always the same face.

But when his stubbornly non-healing leg became impossible to ignore or “give more time to heal,” I decided to go for broke, resting-serial-killer-face be damned. I was gonna give Jack the rundown of what I planned and how we were going to heal his leg. I drew his fractures on my sawbone skeleton and brought it in to show him, gave him all the options.

The only thing he asked me, after 45 minutes, was what kind of factors would cause his leg to be amputated. I told him, and said we were very far away from that. He said, “ok.”

Fast forward to the day of the surgery. I didn’t want to delay him any longer than necessary, so I scheduled him for a light day in the OR. Which also happened to be the day my husband was having (minor) surgery.

Of course, the two of them were scheduled as first cases. Facepalm. The night before, I tell my husband, “I’m going quickly drop you off and hide so he doesn’t see me out here.”

Not so lucky. The moment I drop my husband off in the preop waiting area and hug him, there’s Jack hobbling in the door, and of course I feel obligated to tell him why I’m there, hugging some dude. So there we are in the waiting room...me, my husband...and Jack. They get put back into their respective little patient rooms and I go to “preop-check” Jack. The first thing he says, “so is your husband’s surgery serious? I just want to make sure your head is in the game.”

Now I feel like an idiot...I should have just delayed him, now he’s going to think I’m not gonna do his surgery right (even though I’ve spent weeks thinking about it). I assure him that he’s the only one I’m thinking about and that my husband’s surgery is minor outpatient.

Surgery goes well, first stage. I get the cultures, and plan on sending him home. In the PACU, I tell him things went well and that I will return to tell him more as he’s still sleepy from the anesthesia. He says, “I understand if you don’t want to talk to me.” I tell him that I do, I just don’t think he will remember what I tell him. But he seems lucid enough, so I start going through our plan again, and how I got tons of cultures and what will happen if he’s infected, etc. it’s the same as every interaction we have had: I assure him we will take care of this, he stares, and then we move on.

As I’m going through my spiel, Jack suddenly reaches out, and grabs my hand, which is resting on the railing of the stretcher. I freeze. It’s not a hard grab, just a gentle hold. He doesn’t say anything, just stares at me. I look into his eyes and suddenly realize—this man is terrified. It is the first sign of emotion he has shown in the many months I’ve treated him. My brain reverts to those dumb ethics lectures in med school where you are supposed to touch the patient and make them feel better.

I’ve never been touchy-feely, and those lectures always felt a bit patronizing. The “there, there” would piss me off if I were a patient. But there I am, and I know I am expected to do something. He is showing me what’s behind the wall, and what I say next will make or break this relationship. I know it with complete certainty.

I don’t try to break out of his hold. I don’t pat him, either. Instead, I just look at his face, and hear myself say, before I’ve even had a chance to formulate a proper answer, “no matter what happens with this leg, we will get you through this. We will fix it.”

I’m not gonna lie. I’ve seen people die, or lose limbs. I’ve had a lot of “thank you”s, and a lot of “f*** you”s in my life. I rarely get emotional. But when I left that pacu, it took all I had to keep myself from crying. No lecture can prepare you for another human suddenly and completely relying on you to help them. It’s not just a thank you, the way you thank your barista when they make your coffee just right (though believe me, my Dunkin people keep me alive). It is a baring of the soul, the ultimate human connection that occurs outside of family ties.

And that’s why it is worth it. No other feeling, save for perhaps the one you get from your loved ones, is more satisfying. It’s hard to imagine it when you’re in residency, or med school...maybe you’ve never had it. Maybe you won’t, until you are an attending. The feeling that you are worthy of this great trust that people put in you. So when you struggle, and hustle, and suffer, and (sometimes) almost die....remember, your own version of Jack is out there. Ultimately, the treatment itself doesn’t matter. Whether that leg is lost or saved, it is not what you did, but how you did it. Your own Jack doesn’t even know you exist yet, but the time will come when he will be scared, and upset, and angry, and it is you who will come to him during the dark hour and say, “I will help you.” Keep thinking about him, and the hundreds and thousands like him, whom your dedication to your work will touch during your lifetime. This is the light at the end of the tunnel. It is the only light that truly matters.

Thank you for this. I am even more impressed that this entire thing was typed on an iPhone.

As an MS-2 living in the library, I thank you. Kinda lose sight when all you see is books, lectures and sneaky questions. It’s nice to know that it’s not just for money.

yeah I'm not sure if I will ever see that light....

hope I do

Another Jack update: just saw him in the office. Xray looks like he is healing. I allowed him to walk for the first time in 6 months. He told me I had a nice smile. I could tell he was getting emotional and he’s not the type to be comfortable showing emotion in public, so I quickly hustled my student and PA out of the room and ran away so he could emote in private. Then I was almost tearing up in clinic because of all he’s gone through. I don’t know why he affected me so much, more than any other patient in my career. I held myself because my student was looking at me like I was a nut job.

Reactions: 13 users
I teared up reading your story. Thank you so much for your encouragement!

I’ll be the first to say that altruism is not always our primary driver. Prestige, money, pride, cultural expectations, etc. are all factors to some degree, for all of us. And no permutation of those factors is wrong or right. Your drivers are your own. If only saints got admitted to medical school, our adcoms and professors (@LizzyM @gyngyn @Goro) would be out of a job. :) But I would like to think that on some level, everyone who chooses to become a physician gets joy, a sense of worth, from helping patients.

Of course, the two of them were scheduled as first cases. Facepalm. The night before, I tell my husband, “I’m going quickly drop you off and hide so he doesn’t see me out here.”

Well man. This got me in the feels, sitting here all misty eyed. This is the only reason I work in healthcare. This feeling. I usually get this feeling with either newly diagnosed cancer patients or terminal patients with little time left to live. Great story, and helped me gain perspective, thanks. Its ALL about the patients, not us. That is the main lesson in healthcare. And we all struggle with that, I'm sure.

I primarily strive for knowledge- I like learning. But even that pales in comparison to those moments when the patients REALLY need you.

You are very welcome. And of course, thread is open to any residents or attendings who want to share their own stories of patient encounters that made them think this whole thing was worth it. The more positive thinking we can get on here, the better. So much fear and negativity to be countered.

I completely agree that we may not truly “get it” in terms of the incredible responsibility we are handed until we experience some sort of encounter like you mentioned.

Mine came during my gen cards fellowship. During the day I had seen in consult a middle aged gentlemen who presented with ACS, we took to the lab and stented the culprit artery. Simple enough.

I was on that day/night and close to midnight get a call from the ICU about him having some mild recurrent chest pain. I order another EKG and some meds and wait for the call back. The EKG is nonspecific and meds didn’t help that much so I decide to go in just to eyeball him. I get there and he’s still having chest discomfort with some nonspecific EKG changes. He’s relatively stoic and I could tell he’s not a “complainer” type so that combined with the fact that he and his wife were some of the nicest patients I had just furthered my gut feeling that something no bueno was going on.

At this point I’ve parked myself bedside in the ICU and after trying some additions meds his pain doesn’t go away so I call the interventionalist back in during the middle of the night and convince him to re-cath the guy. Our suspicions were confirmed as there was an acute issue with the stent requiring further intervention and the guy did well after that.

About a month later I get a letter in the mail. It was a full page handwritten letter from this guy and his wife thanking me for the care, advocacy and tenacity in taking care of him. It was seriously the most humbling letter I think I’ve ever received. I still have that letter and have re-read it during various low points in training.

I wish those sort of moments came more often but when they do then all this we put up with makes sense.

Those momments are terrific and all, though we also shouldn’t rely on those mountain-top high experiences as our sole source of satisfaction. The other thing that helped me during training was learning to be content with the work I was doing. Each field has its bread and butter “BS” or weak consults that you dread because you feel like they waste your time. It was VERY easy during fellowship to do spend 5 minutes bitching to a co-fellow when we’d get our 5th in a row “known to you” cardiac consult.

Over time I changed my thought process and realized that most of these involved some combination of the referring doc not being comfortable (even though there may not have been a specific question), the patient being scared about some underlying cardiac condition (even if it was stable and they were there for another reason), or the nurse or family were concerned about something that then got passed along to us to handle. Regardless, even if there was nothing for us to acutely do just the 10minutes spent reassuring all involved helped the patient, family, and referring doc feel better. Plus I felt better having an expert opinion to offer. Not arguing or stressing over what we may consider a weak consult a huge difference in my day to day menta sanity during fellowship.

Reactions: 6 users
combined with the fact that he and his wife were some of the nicest patients I had just furthered my gut feeling that something no bueno was going on.

Thanks for your story and insight.
And the above...isn’t that the truth haha? It’s also the case with trauma. Some douche gangbanger can get shot 20 times and survive, but a nice guy gets shot once and it gets the aorta. We have a rule—the nicer you are, the worse the outcome.

Very true. Had a 31 year old terminal thyroid cancer pt who was so sweet. And kept asking me if my night was going okay. I said “yeah, because I have you and other wonderful patients that make my job worth it.”

She said “well I have the best nurses in the whole world”

I had to hurry up and get out of that room, she had me tearing up.

Also had a 50 something year old farmer who was such a badass. She was covered in tats, and had just a matter of fact attitude. She was very realistic in understanding her disease (colon cancer c Mets to lungs and liver), and all she wanted to do was go home and ride her four wheeler and see her horses. She had been given mere months to live over 6 years ago. I had to give her a big hug before I left. People like that really inspire me.

Reminds me of something I heard a BLE amputee say at the Bataan memorial death march in 2012 to someone falling out- “I don’t have any legs, what’s your f*^%inh excuse?!”

[/spoiler][/spoiler]

up to this point, I thought you were a male... then I realized after this point I thought you were a straight female... not being biased is hard, my apologies!

Thank you for sharing this story, very valuable and helpful to an M1 just starting out on this journey

Thanks for your story and insight.
And the above...isn’t that the truth haha? It’s also the case with trauma. Some douche gangbanger can get shot 20 times and survive, but a nice guy gets shot once and it gets the aorta. We have a rule—the nicer you are, the worse the outcome.

Exactly. Same thing seems to hold true in cardiology. Even during medicine residency some of the worse cancers we diagnosed for the first time seemed to be in the nicest folks who were productive members of society....

Last edited: