IU Proton Center closes down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My spidey senses tell me this is the beginning of the end for many proton centers. Next up? Maybe Hampton?

Members don't see this ad :)
you gotta wonder what's going to happen to all these proton center that are going to open up in the coming years in multiple institutions. Are we seeing the beginning of the end of a tulip-mania?

Last edited:
I don't think that we can generalize too much in this circumstance. IU depended on a machine that was NOT DESIGNED to treat human beings and all of the "work arounds" increased costs (by the institution) and limited efficiencies. I think the demise says more about the specifics of the particular institution rather than proton therapy in general. Additionally the IU Radiation Oncology department has had serious issues for more than a decade (witness the several Chair changes) and the Dean finally decided to stop the bleeding (advised by many luminaries in Radiation Oncology: T Lawrence, A Zietman). This closure also allows the "new chair" to start fresh without the albatross that was the IU proton facility (miles from the main campus).

I do believe that proton facilities are overbuilt and (I hope) a few more will close in the next few years as a direct result of changes in reimbursement but not sure that this is the harbinger of doom.

Reactions: 1 user
I got the impression that their chairman recently departed (sudden retirement? transfer? something worse?) and now suspect this must have played a role in that situation. Also, IU's faculty turnover has been on the high side with lots of people leaving over the past few years. What has been going on? Hopefully they can realign their trajectory with fresh leadership.

It's likely part of a larger bubble, although the main issue with IU's center was apparently that the university did not want to buy a new cyclotron to replace the aging (and less reliable) one in use. The change in chair was secondary to the university not considering a new cyclotron, not the other way around.

The IU Proton Center was treating when I was an undergrad there in 1999 and 2000. Despite being an EARLY player in the proton game, they took several years to move on from uveal melanoma and never really leveraged their early position enough to overcome the poor location of the center.

great article. IU committee did say "proton bubble".

This isn't a sign that proton center development is going to slow down anytime soon - if anything it's going to keep increasing especially with smaller single room options and expanded indications made possible by PBS over DS

wow, can you please elaborate how PBS makes additional indications possible?

Yeah, I agree that was quite the bold statement I'm going to add a [citation needed] to that post.