IUHS REDUX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imperoo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Folks - what is the score with this West Indies school ? I am getting such conflicting information that it is difficult to assess correctly...firstly, some say the school is a complete SHAMbles while others contend that the place offers a good education. WHO lists it BUT then some state med boards do not even breath its name nor do they assume that they know about the place...the main query is IS THERE A CLEARINGHOUSE that can offer correct information regarding this school or am I doomed to just blow another 50 g's and find that I cannot get arrested in Central Park ? Please gang let's have some meaningful dialogue...imperoo

Members don't see this ad.

my personal opinion....stay far away from this school.

the school claims that the distance learning program is the wave of the future, blah, blah, blah. even if this is true, i would be leary of a carribean program that is new and innovative. they have enough trouble gaining respect enough to have traditional programs!

the simple test is to call the state boards where you would like to practice and descibe the school and its distance learning program. do this even if you plan to stay away from distance learning and enroll on their campus. do this, because many states will not even consider you if the school you attend even offers this program. then, figure out if you can live without practicing in these states, and if you can get a residency in the rest of the us after you graduate.

to me, after you do the math, it sucks. at the very best, you may be able to practice in some states. when several schools can offer you the opportunity in every state, and several more in most states, it seems a waste of time and money to risk it. finally, realize that they have no grads with unrestricted licenses to practice. they MAY have someone in residency, but i would check that out very carefully before i believed it.

in the end it is your decision. but, i think logic dictates that a school with a proven formula and a track record of licesnsing graduates is a much safer bet than some new "innovative" school that may just be a waste of your hard earned money.

good luck!

IUHS is totally full of crap. I am a PA, and they advertise in every one of our journals the fact that you can do medical education by distance learning. When you call them, at any of their location offices, the same damn lady named April answers. Is she their only staff? There is no way that this school will ever graduate a student that enters a US residency. I chose to abort the idea and will be starting medical school in the states this summer. The short cut seemed rather unique, but I wasn't looking for a short cut on education.

Members don't see this ad :)
The pros and cons of this school are baffling...Dr. John Bear has if not kind then certainly non-deroggatory (sic) words for IUHS...April McDonald is indeed the resident chick who seems to answer everything BUT says nothing...it is NOT that the shortcut is so exacting (for it really isn't ALL that short of a cut) but time being of the essence (for me) I wanted to get to POINT C without the harangue and hassle...are they ANY kind words for this school ? imperoo

if you want to get to point c without a hassle go to st georges...or the australian/irish/isreal schools. i think those are the most simple.