IUHS Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CVPA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about IUHS lately? Specifically, I was wondering how they did on Step 1.

Members don't see this ad.

CVPA

Maybe you remember me. I asked you for advise about December of last year. Well, I started teh program at IUHS in May 7th this year. I am currently on my 4th block. So far I am EXTREMELY happy with the program. The academic level is great, the program is quite rigorous, very demanding but we have absolutely great porfessors. We have great lectures every week and a summative exam (quite hard at least for me)every 8 weeks. There are already students doing their rotations in US hospitals. Officially I know of a student that took the USMLE 1 and got 85% and USMLE 2 with 87%, he is now in Chicago doing his residency. I do not know yet of September USMLE test but as soon as I know I will let you know. As an update kind of FYI we now have a program (which I have enrolled) where we do the MD and a Masters in Organizational Management in healthcare administration. We get full U.S. financial aid now in this program. So far having started at IUHS has been a great decision. Thank you for the information you provided for me back in December. If everything goes ok I will finish the basic sciences by Dec of Next year. We can do the Basic Science Courses in 1.5 years. If I can be of any help please let me know. Best regards.

Hey, how are you doing? Sure, I remember you. Glad things are working out for you and the school. I have frequently gone to the website but that haven't posted anything regarding the USMLE scores. They really should. You should try to put a bug in someone's ear.

So you said someone actually graduated and started a US residency? Are you positive about that?

Members don't see this ad :)
be very careful with this school! it is good to hear that there are happy students, but it is a license to practice that you want, and it seems this school is not the best way to achieve that. a couple things to consider.

1. they offer distance learning, which makes it impossible to practice in several states (PA, MASS pop into mind) this will also limit residency opportunities
2. they offer advanced standing to podiatrists or podiatry students. i don't want to get into a debate whether this is right or wrong, but many states will also deny any grads of a school that allows these things to practice.

now, i have no real idea about the quality of education (but i do have opinions!!) at IUHS, but it seems crazy to go there when there are so many other schools that will have no problems. try AUC, Ross, ST. Georges, the Irish and Australian schools, or come here to Prague. as far as i am concerned, it is risky enough to just go abroad, why temp fate with an unproven school with many strikes against it. good luck!

Neil:

I think your point is well taken, so much so in fact that after application and acceptance, I decided it was too risky and declined. Licensure is my biggest concern with it.

The one thing about this school that makes it attractive for many is the fact that you can do the first two years online. Now that in itself is a whole debate and I'm not even saying that it is the best scenario to learn medicine. For those of us who have a family or other obligations that prevent moving to another country for two years, it is an intriguing alternative. I even thought about IUHS for the first two years and then try to transfer to a US school or SGU. I still think there may be problems with that because some states like Pennsylvania, which you mentioned, specifically state in their statute that the first two years of foreign medical school training must have been completed in the state or country in which the school is chartered.

Time will tell and I look forward to seeing updates on IUHS and hope it can make a name for itself in years to come.

i agree, an online curriculum would be very attractive to many people. i would love it! i know that most of us med students have rather relaxed attendance policies, and i would love the opportunity to learn at my own pace from home, at least the basic science. i would imagine that it would have to be supplemented with some great lab work and/or workgroups, but i can imagine something like that working. i just have a feeling that before the US powers that be recognize something like this, it would have to be used in the US. i just can't imagine the state boards recognizing a new and innovative method of instruction from an offshore school.

but, best of luck! hey, 2 years on an island isn't so bad... i live all the way in europe, see my girlfreind about 3 times during the school year, and i am still loving it! i thought it would be horrible, but it is easier than you think....

So you said someone actually graduated and started a US residency? Are you positive about that?[/QB][/QUOTE]

Dear CVPA. I AM 100% SURE. Not only he is doing his residency at Chicago but he had several options. Call the University and you can verify it yourself. As I mentioned to you, in my particular situation IUHS was the best choice. If I had followed US route I would be looking at maybe starting medical school by 2003. By that time if everything continues the way it is going right now I will be finishing my first year of rotations.
Neil I am happy you are doing well and respect your point of view. However, not everybody's circumstances are the same. IUHS is perfect for me so far.
CVPA maybe you could attend one of our classes to see for yourself the academic level. Now, regarding licensing it is true there are obstacles for several states. However, fortunately for me none of those states interest me.
Best regards

sounds like an agent of the school to me!

can you explain why someone should accept the limitations in licensing when there are plenty of other schools ok in all states (auc, ross, st georges,the australian schools) and several more that are ok in most states? they are all 4 year schools, and they do have access to US clinicals...even a 6 year european program seems to be a better option, as 2 years extra now means i can practice anywhere (or get a residency anywhere).it seems CRAZY to go somewhere where you future will be severely limited. just my 2 cents.

Neil:

As someone who applied to IUHS and I can only tell you my personal reasons as to why I considered the school.

There is, I suspect, a relatively large population of allied health professionals out there who would love to become physicians but because of financial and or family obligations, cannot go the traditional route. IUHS offers them a totally new concept and option which has been discussed at length throughout this country as well as the world; a Virtual Medical School. This concept requires "out-of-the-box" thinking. Those who cannot think that way will simply conclude that such an approach to medical education is ludicrous and cannot be effectively done. As IUHS' website points out, this is designed only for allied health professionals who have at least ten years of background. For those people, IUHS offers the possibility of obtaining their dream of becoming a physican without having to A) abandon their job (although it would probably have to be modified), and B) neglect their family obligations. Although, MS years 3 & 4 as well as postgraduate training will demand tremendous amounts of time, it is a much more "doable" situation for many people.

Having said that, the concerns that we have discussed are real and potential problems, and again only time will tell how it pans out. I suspect that in years to come, virtual medical schools will become more and more popular and the potential problems that IUHS graduates may face, will be no longer.

Robert:

You mentioned that IUHS now has full US financial aid. When I looked into the school, Sallie Mae offered a private loan which required interest only loan payments during enrollment. Has that expanded to include Guaranteed Student Loans? If not, what other loans are available other than Sallie Mae's private loan?

Originally posted by CVPA:

Robert:

You mentioned that IUHS now has full US financial aid. When I looked into the school, Sallie Mae offered a private loan which required interest only loan payments during enrollment. Has that expanded to include Guaranteed Student Loans? If not, what other loans are available other than Sallie Mae's private loan?[/QB]

CVPA;
Full financial aid through US "FAFSA", at this moment, is only available for those in the Joint-Program MD-OM (Medical Doctor with Masters in Organizational Management). It is a joint venture between IUHS and Fielding Graduate Institute. I got the full amount available so I can tell you for sure that it is already in place. I also wanted to mention that a lot of comments have been made about the program and what some think maybe disadvantages. As Neil mentions if you do not want to risk (risk=as perceived by them) anything, sure go the traditional way specially if licensing in a specific state is essential for you. But for example in my case, I am a former graduate student at University of Texas Austin, I have FULL access to its libraries (7 of them) and I am auditing a genetics course. I am 10 minutes from the library. I attend to a lot of their MD seminars. I have "ALL" (except of course being in the classroom) of the advantages of a "TRADITIONAL" university and "ALL" of the advantages of the, controversial for many, electronic learning program. So you make out of your education what you want. Oh by the way I have a great tutor (MD) who has helped me tremedously. So, it is up to you, with the right tools, to make the best out of it. I read the exact same books as UCSD students, I will take the exact same exams (USMLE) as ALL of the US students, I have access to a top rated univeristy (UT) libraries, I have clinical experience at work 32 hourse per week, I have US financial aid, plus, due to my health situation, I can do all of this without major changes for my work, family, and housing situation. I know it sounds like I am trying to justify my situation. However, I thought I will share it with you since it was thanks to you that I learned about this program.
Oh, Neil I am not an agent for IUHS. I am a non-traditional student that is trying, as many others (including you probably), to accomplish my professional goals within the existing posibilities and specific circumstances.
Regards

Robert:

Thats great. Sounds like the school has come a long nicely since I looked into it last year. Now the roles are flipped, I'm gonna pump you for information, OK?

Have you heard when FAFSA might be available for those who are not interested in the combined MD/OM degree? I checked out the Fielding Institute online and read a little bit about the degree. I wasn't exactly tingling with excitement after reading about the degree :D. I'm not even sure how that would help me as a physician. Maybe you can shed some light on the issue.

Do you happen to know how many students, other than your friend in Chicago, have graduated from the eLP? Any chance that person would be willing to allow me to contact him? I would love to ask him what the residency program had to say about him doing his first 2-years online as well as what other feedback he has received from other programs. BTW, where in Chicago is he doing his residency and in what area?

Am I missing something here?

Are you seriously telling me that you can go to online med school and get a state medical license?

I thought that all states specifically said "no way" to online med schools?

Sure, you could get a residency but without a state medical license its worthless! Without a state medical license you CAN NOT PRACTICE MEDICINE, EVEN IF YOU FINISH RESIDENCY!

Members don't see this ad :)
As you can see, this is an old thread when I was considering furthering my education by applying to medical school. Since then, I came to my senses.

Anyway, in regards to online programs, states do not specifically say no to online medical schools. What many states say is that the graduate must have spent the first two years of medical school "in the state or country in which the school is chartered". This kind of wording excludes online medical schools. There are states, however, whose statutes do not qualify in that way and only mandate that the school (if international) be recognized by WHO.

"What many states say is that the graduate must have spent the first two years of medical school "in the state or country in which the school is chartered". "

WHAT STATES HAVE YOU FOUND TO HAVE THIS REQUIREMENT? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.....SUZY :))

Originally posted by CVPA
What many states say is that the graduate must have spent the first two years of medical school "in the state or country in which the school is chartered". This kind of wording excludes online medical schools. There are states, however, whose statutes do not qualify in that way and only mandate that the school (if international) be recognized by WHO.

This can not be totally accurate because many schools have their 5th semesters in other countries besides the chartered one. I know that St. Mathews(Maine) does and so does Ross(Miami). I don't know whiether St. Mathews students can be licensed in Penn, but I am pretty sure Ross students can.

Look, I did the research on this almost 2-years ago, so I don't remember every detail. I had about 6 states actually mail me the statute that outlined requirements for medical licensure. Pennsylvania, I remember, had that mandate and I think Texas and California did also. Florida, as I recall, did not have that requirement.

I am sure that if a student goes to another country to do a semester, that would not disqualify him/her from licensure in the states. The states that have this requirment are looking for people who spent little, if any, time at the actual physical campus. If you can prove that you were there most of the time and weren't taking the courses from a far, I can't imagine it would be a problem.

The bottomline is that if you are considering a program such as IUHS, you need to get the facts yourself. Do what I did and contact states that you may possibly practice in and review the statutes yourself. If you are really serious about it, have an attorney review it as well. The stakes are way too high to not find out the definitive answer.

Good luck.

MdNd ought to be done by now, or at least have taken step one and two. He/she was talking smack back in 2001.
that's 2 years ago.
Where are the scores?

it would be nice to see how his/her residency search is going, or if he's back to peddling homeopathic goose liver extract when he/she found out the internet MD is about as a 60X dilution of the requirements for a job in the USA

I wrote the the state of Pennsylvania and specifically asked wheither you could do your basic sciences in a location outside the country of a med schools charter. I do not attend IUHS, so my interest is not to defend distance medical education, but to figure out if my own school qualifies. This is the correspondance:

To whom this may concern,

I have a very specific question regarding non-restricted licensure rules and reg's for MD's. I attend a school not approved by the ACME and located outside of the US. The charter of the school is in one country, however the pre-clinical teaching is done in another. I am eligible for licensure in both countries upon completion. I have been told of a rule that says for Pennsylvania licensure, the basic science instruction must be done in the country of the schools charter. Is this true? I have searched through your website and read every rule, reg, and law that I could find, but I could not find this supposed rule. I would appreciate any help that you can offer. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

BTS4202

To : "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>

Subject : FW: MD licensing

Date : Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:29:16 -040

Our counsel advises:

You must be able to obtain ECFMG certification to be eligible for a license in the Commonwealth.

Where did you get the URL on the Organisational healthcare management?

I wrote the the state of Pennsylvania and specifically asked wheither you could do your basic sciences in a location outside the country of a med schools charter. I do not attend IUHS, so my interest is not to defend distance medical education, but to figure out if my own school qualifies. This is the correspondance:

To whom this may concern,

I have a very specific question regarding non-restricted licensure rules and reg's for MD's. I attend a school not approved by the ACME and located outside of the US. The charter of the school is in one country, however the pre-clinical teaching is done in another. I am eligible for licensure in both countries upon completion. I have been told of a rule that says for Pennsylvania licensure, the basic science instruction must be done in the country of the schools charter. Is this true? I have searched through your website and read every rule, reg, and law that I could find, but I could not find this supposed rule. I would appreciate any help that you can offer. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

BTS4202

To : "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>

Subject : FW: MD licensing

Date : Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:29:16 -040

Our counsel advises:

You must be able to obtain ECFMG certification to be eligible for a license in the Commonwealth.

Notice you wrote your email with misleading wording. You never mentioned ONLINE basic sciences.

Why in the hell did you dredge up a post...from 2004? What exactly is your purpose in starting these kinds of threads?

??

you sound mad.

i did not make this thread.

i used the search function and found this. i was looking up iuhs and found one for the school but it seemed misleading to me.

please dont degrade people for commenting on old threads. EVERYONE gets on people for asking questions without searching for them, so now when someone does search it, ME, i get yelled at anyways. makes no sense. please dont do that.

man, there are like 4 threads for this entire day in this international forum that have a new post today. is one more that big of a deal to moderate?

are you just having a bad day? THIS post makes my THIRD post for today (meaning ALL are on this thread, and two are in response to your negativity). its not like im running around and finding every old thread i can. :(

not "mad" at you, but very curious...it is an odd post to bring back. It seems like you only post in it to criticize a previous user...who last posted in it 3 years ago! and 1) most likely won't see the thread anymore and 2) whatever issues brought up then are old and probably don't apply anymore. If the last post is from that long ago and you're sincerely interested in IUHS, I would recommend making enquiries all over again.