SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Iup

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by psych00, Mar 23, 2007.

1. psych00

psych00 2+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2007
    What does anyone know about, like/dislike, etc. about the PsyD program at Indiana University of Pennsylvania?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. carebear85

carebear85

Mar 27, 2007
    The program seems really good to me. The area does not seem like the best, meaning that it is a small town. When I visited there, that was students' main complaint. The amount of training seemed really good, and the money that they give is always a plus. I'd say the other downside other than the area is that as a semi-rural area there is a limited population to work with, unless you drive to Pittsburgh for a fieldwork placement. Other than these downsides, it seems like a solid program, at least from my observations of it.

4. psych00

psych00 2+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Yeah I really liked almost everything about the program but am hesitating all because of the location. It may seem like an obvious choice when I can say that several faculty members share my interests, class size is about 12 students, I like the structure and it would only cost about $4,000 a year at the most. I am trying to decide between them and a couple others now. :confused:

5. mpino

mpino Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2006
    hi,
    i'm a first year at iup. i can understand ur concern about the fact that iup is in a small town. i am from the ny/nj metropolitan area and it was a culture shock for me moving out here, still is i think. that being said, because it is a small town, we do have a clinic on campus that provides services to the town and surrounding areas, so we get to see a wide variety of clinical cases as well as perform assessments ect. the on-campus clinic was one of the main reasons i chose to attend the school. the clinical experience is just great and the program is pretty research- intensive. obviously i am biased because i chose to attend the school, hehe, but dont let the small town scare u...its pretty cheap to live here compared to somewhere like jerz or new york, which is a plus, and since it's a big college town, there are places to go to hang out, ect.

hope this helped
    good luk in making ur choice.

6. psych00

psych00 2+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Oh ok, thanks so much for the input. I wasn't sure how to get information from current students. Where do people usually live? I tried searching online (I think it was Rent.com) and found....one apartment listing that had no pictures, and one that was a trailer park...No offense against anyone living in trailer parks but, I just was not prepared for finding only two options. I grew up in a small town, but went to college in a city and loved it so, I just have been worried about re-adjusting. I think I am going to try to drive out again this week to check out the area some more. Where would you suggest checking out for things to do/places to live, etc?

7. mpino

mpino Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2006
    i live in the copper beech apartments, which are nice u can get them furnished or not and they include dishwaher washer dryer ect.....but u cant have pets................one could argue they are overpriced for this area, but i am happy here other students live in westgate or spring meadow, which both are owned by the same company little less expensive, but u cannot get them furnished, complex has a pool, nice sized rooms, kitchen nice size also...(i hate my kitchen in copper beech) and u can hav pets hope that helps

8. anybutpretty

anybutpretty 7+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2006
    I can't tell you about the program specifically since I'm still doing my bachelors, but I did part of my undergrad at IUP and grew up in that area. I'll say that the the people in the psych department are some of the greatest professors I've ever had (especially Mills and Pavloski - ah!) I always felt everyone was really approachable. IUP is a good school, and it's (at least as I've seen) significantly more liberal than the area surrounding it. I will also say that Indiana County, Pennsylvania leaves a lot to be desired if you're a city-person. Indiana itself is a "city" surrounded by a lot of farms. I'm guessing you'd end up doing a lot of stuff in Pittsburgh, if you drive...and it's probably best that you do. Public transportation is pretty limited.

Anyway, cost of living is pretty low, the campus is really pretty, summer is beautiful, winter kinda sucks, the marching band is awesome, uh...yeah, sorry I'm not much help. I asked about the PsyD program while I was there and was told really frankly by Dr. Mills, "It's OK." Full stop. Like others have said, I think the biggest limit to the program is simply the area. On the other hand, it's way cheap and there're scholarships available. I'm not looking at grad school anymore (I've been sucked into the med school crowd), but I definitely would have considered IUP for the cost and that it is "OK" and that I am comfortable with the professors.

9. psych00

psych00 2+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Thanks, you guys! I went out there yesterday to check out the area some more. It seems like a nice town, I think I can deal with it, and I'd be there for 4 years before internship so if the worst part is having to drive an hour to a city, then it should be OK I think (maybe I'll be forced into focusing on my education then?). The financial aid is great, especially since it is really cheap to go there to begin with, but I really liked the feel of my interview day and who I spoke with, the professors' interests, and that stuff. I'm really almost sure about it, I just am going to visit 2 other schools in the Philadelphia area (which are lacking other aspects, mostly funding) before I make my final decision. Ahhh so nervous! :wow: