IUSD Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLJ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to start a thread for all those attending IUSD this coming summer. I hope that we can use this thread to get to know one another, ask questions about school, find roommates and housing, etc (much as last year's class did). I'll go first and introduce myself:

I'm male, 24 (for another few days), and I graduated from a small engineering and science college in New Mexico with a BS in biology back in 2002. Since then, I've mostly worked in molecular biology labs in Texas and Indiana doing research. I moved to Indiana way back in early 2004. I'm currently taking the last of my prereqs this semester (Biochemistry :( ) for IUSD at IU Bloomington.

I've found a really nice (big!) place to live on the south side of Indy and I'm looking for a roommate (male or female). Please PM me if you want more details.

Hope to hear from everyone soon!

-JLJ

Members don't see this ad.

Hey JLJ,
My name is Matt Rowe. I am 23 years old and am a graduate of Xavier University. I have my BS of Biology and a minor in Business. I graduated in 2005 and have been working as a dental researcher in Fort Wayne, IN since I graduated. I recently returned from Honduras after spending a week doing a dental mission. It was a wonderful experience that I will never forget.
I was also accepted to Creighton but I am pretty sure I will be going to IUSD. I am going to go to Creighton over spring break and take a look at the school. I do not want to make a decision without first having seen the school. If you want to talk to me, I use both AIM and Yahoo Messenger. My screen name for both of them is viper15119. My e-mail is [email protected]. Feel free to contact me if you just want to talk. I'd love to get to know you. Its nice to have friends in school even before you begin. Peace out, Matt

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I am currently on IU's waitlist and hopefully my ranking is high enough that I will be admitted to the class. I am very glad that I have an opportunity to e-meet some of my future classmates before the class starts.

About me: Male, 26, and I currently live in central MA. I got my masters in molecular biology in May 2005 and finished last of my IU pre-reqs this fall. This semester i am trying to learn a 4th language in addition to taking couple economics courses (they will come handy one day). I would be glad to "talk" with others via PM or AIM.

Hi all,
JLJ and I have already met, but I wanted to introduce myself to the rest of you. I am female, just turned 26. I graduated from a private liberal arts school, DePauw University, with a BA in biochemistry and Spanish in 2002. Since then, I have worked as a Spanish interpreter for Clarian Health Hospitals and Clinics in Indianapolis. I married my husband in 2004, and he graduates from IU Medical School in May this year. He is applying for anesthesia residencies mostly in the Midwest. We will find out March 16th, on D-Day, whether or not we’ll be spending next year together or apart. If he has to move, I will probably have room for two roommates in our current home on the NW side of Indianapolis near Eagle Creek. I would be happy to chat either hotmail or yahoo messenger…kendrafisk@yahoo/hotmail.com. Hopefully we can plan an Indy gathering this summer before July 5th (the other D-Day).

JLJ said:

Hey c/o 2010. If you guys are interested in investing, a classmate and I just bought brand new condos in the south side of Indy on Southport and Emerson. 10 miles north of Greenwood and 11 miles from the D-school. I got a brand new 2 bedroom for $95,000 and my classmate got his for $93,000.

I plan on selling it when I move out of Indy in 4yrs. Better than paying rent. Here's the link for more info: http://hillscommunities.com/pages/content/indiana_02.html

The property is called "Amberley Crossing". Good area: Super Target, Meijers, Home Depot, Pier One, Chase bank, BP gas, carwash place, scrub store, Quiznos, 2 minutes from I-65, etc.

Some popular apt. places downtown and nearby where a lot of dental students live are Gardens of Canal Court, Canal Square, Riley Towers, Lockfield Gardens, Darby Court, Seabring Court, and the campus apartments.

http://www.sextonproperties.com/indiana/gardens.htm 5 min drive; 10 w/ traffic
http://www.canalsquareapartments.com/ 4 min drive; 10 w/ traffic
http://www.rileytowers.com/ 5-10 min drive depending on traffic
http://www.sextonproperties.com/indiana/lockefield.htm walking distance
http://www.sextonproperties.com/indiana/darby.htm 10 min from school
http://www.sextonproperties.com/indiana/sebring.htm 10 min from school
http://life.iupui.edu/housing/oncampus.asp walking distance

Here's a list of apartments put together by IUSD students:
http://www.iusd.iupui.edu/depts/edu/sa/new_students/Apartment_Guide.htm
http://www.iusd.iupui.edu/depts/edu/sa/studhous.htm

Happy hunting!

Hello people,

I am looking forward to moving to Indy. I'm male, 31 and I currently attend classes at Portland State University in Portland, OR. I will graduate this June with a Bachelor's in Science. I was previously an electrical engineering major up until my junior year.

I am having a house built in Avon, IN, which is to the west of Indianapolis. I am thrilled to be leaving the Northwest, especially after the last 40 day rain streak.

well, I ranked at the top of their waitlist during the selection meeting they held earlier this week. All I need is very few people to turn down their acceptances. keep all your fingers crossed!

fingers and toes are crossed for you Comet :luck:

mochafreak said:
fingers and toes are crossed for you Comet :luck:

Thanks a lot Mocha.. its too bad that you won't be in our class (Creighton is a great school too). But at least i'll get to see you.

Any other members of IUSD want to communicate via AIM?? same ID.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, so I'm thinking about finally getting a cell phone while I'm in dental school. I've been looking at various plans but I don't have any idea what service is going to be like up in Indy. Does anyone currently living in Indy have any good or bad experiences with providers/service that they'd like to share? Thanks!

My cousin lives in Indy and he has had Tmobile for years with no complains. I have Tmobile also and used it there with no problem (and i did happen to go to different parts of the town as well). However, if I remember correctly, I did not have service in certain parts of the basement/lib at IUSD.

JLJ said:
OK, so I'm thinking about finally getting a cell phone while I'm in dental school. I've been looking at various plans but I don't have any idea what service is going to be like up in Indy. Does anyone currently living in Indy have any good or bad experiences with providers/service that they'd like to share? Thanks!

I've used Verizon in Indy and Terre Haute and the signal strength is great for the most part (dead spot along I-70 on the way to Indy). I had AT&T when I first moved to Indiana and their network blew. There was basically no signal anywhere. They've merged with Cingular now, but I've heard that it's not much better.

Im from indy cingular works well, verizon works well, and sprint is also good. Ive got cingular, my girlfriend has verizon, and my sister has sprint. Whatever offers the best plan go with it i dont think theres that big of a difference in indy. Maybe if you travel to the country somewhere that may factor in but you probably wont.

Hi there,

I'm a male, 25, and I'll be entering the DDS program this coming July. I've purchased a townhome in south Indy and I'm currently looking for one roommate. The townhome should be completed by late May, so we could shoot for a mid-June move in (although this is flexible). The townhome is in the Southern Dunes development and is approximately 15-20 minutes from the dental school depending on traffic. It's very possible that we could carpool if our schedules are compatible. There is a great golf course on site and there is a lot of shopping and entertainment nearby in Greenwood. Here are some details:

1754 sq ft townhome
3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths
2 car garage
Full kitchen, dining room, small patio

The roommate will have their own garaged parking space, bedroom and full private bathroom upstairs. The room itself is approximately 10x15 with a very large walk-in closet. The rent will include exterior landscaping, electric, water, sewer, garbage, high speed internet access (provided you have a wireless card), and basic cable. So, unless you want a "land-line" in addition to your cell, the rent is all-inclusive.

I'm interested in finding a responsible and (mostly) quiet roommate (either male or female). You'll need to be able to tolerate an old, fat cat.

I'm asking 565 a month (again, that includes all the utilities listed) and I'd ask for a 6 month commitment (initially). If you'd like some more information about the townhome or would like to see some pictures or a floorplan please email me at [email protected] or PM me.

Thanks!

I may have GOOOODDDD news very soon.. stay tuned ;) :thumbup: :love:

Comet208 said:

Awesome...we're all pulling for you, comet!!!

Comet208 said:

Whats this "I may have goood news" business... You do or you don't , so spill comet.... Anyways you know everyone on here is pulling for yah, including me :thumbup: ..

good luck

HD

JLJ said:

wow, someone seems very excited.

Can't wait to see you in person JJ.

I just want everybody to see and use the thread.... :D

anyone else?

Ok Indiana people, let's move this thread up to where it's visible.

- A couple of questions:

1. Has anybody heard anything from Financial Aid recently? The last thing I heard from them is to complete FAFSA (which I did) but I haven't heard squat since. Don't we need to start looking for lenders, etc? Anybody know or hear anything? Anyone have a good lender lined up that won't screw them on fees, etc?

2. Where can we buy our scrubs and what color do they need to be? Do they have to be a specific brand? I for one am really looking forward to wearing pajamas for the rest of my life- I think I may even start wearing them before school starts. :)

Any info would be appreciated.

All I have heard is information on what laptops we are supposed to be getting. I have not heard anything about financial aid yet. Here is what I was told about the laptops:

Matt,

We will be sending the information out probably next week. There are 3 models to choose from which we will setup a link to Dell that will include these three models along with a base configuration that you cannot remove items - you'll only be able to upgrade from our minimum specifications (ex: we selected 1GB of RAM and you could upgrade it to 2GB, but cannot lower it to 512MB). When these are ordered, we will ask that you have the model shipped directly to us so that we can load it with all the software you'll need. That way when you arrive, you can just come in and pick it up and it will be totally setup for you. At that time we'll ask that you visit the JAG store to purchase a full copy of Office 2003 to keep (the cost is $25 if you purchase it there). Legally while you are a student we can preload that software for you, but if you left the University, you would have to have your own copy to make it legal. We will be selecting the Dell Latitude D620, D820, D410 and D420 (this one won't be available until late June). I ask that you don't purchase one of these until you get the letter from us - that way you'll have everything you'll need for the 4 years you are here.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I checked on the onestart homepage about financial aid, and I have no information on that topic. No awards were posted under my financial information section after I logged in.

Regarding scrubs or extracted teeth that need to be collected, I have no idea about these subjects. I will e-mail the school and try to find that out. I suppose they will be sending out more information in the very near future. Until then, just keep it cool, Matt

Ok, regarding scrubs, we do not need to worry about those until we get to school. They will tell us what kind of scrubs we need. Most students wear them, but they are not required. I was told this by an admissions officer over the phone.
Regarding extracted teeth, she said to start collecting them.
Regarding financial aid, I called Paul Koch and left a message, asking him when we should expect to learn of any financial aid awards. Hope some of this info helps, Matt Rowe

Well... guess what everyone??

I just got the MAGIC CALL from IUSD.. and im IN..

i am too excited right now to say anything that would make sense. Just wanted to share the good new and thank you all for being there for me. I'll prolly post my 4 year long journy and sucess story sometime soon.

CONGRATULATIONS COMET!!!! :) :D :) It was only a matter of time!

As for everyone else, I contacted Paul last week and he said that he would be sending out FinAid infor in the next couple of weeks-hopefully next week. As for the scrubs, I have heard from other students that dental students wear either blue or green scrubs. As for teeth, did they say how many we needed? Also, in regards to the laptop-what if we already have one? Can we preload the software on it? I emailed them but haven't heard back...see you guys soon!

Comet208 said:

i am too excited right now to say anything that would make sense. Just wanted to share the good new and thank you all for being there for me. I'll prolly post my 4 year long journy and sucess story sometime soon.

Congrats! You deserve the acceptance. :)

Comet208 said:

AWESOME Comet...lookin' forward to meeting you sometime and having a beer or something. In the meantime I'll be waiting for that next post, cause I think you're the definition of perseverance. :horns: :clap:

Comet208 said:

Again, Comet208 congrats on your acceptance (I saw it from another thread)! I'm applying this year to hopefully be admitted to IUSD for the 2007 class. You must be thrilled!

mochafreak said:
In the meantime I'll be waiting for that next post, cause I think you're the definition of perseverance. :horns: :clap:

what is it exactly that you want me to post?? let me know. looking forward to meeting you too.

thanks a lot everyone for your endless kindness.

Mikey, bets of luck to you. I am looking for forward to seeing you as well.

Comet208 said:

oh, that actually took 16 VERY LONG days!

who ever was #4, its your turn now.

way too go comet

Awesome dude....Just awesome...

congrats... go get crunked...

HD

Comet208 said:

That's what I was referring to...however, if you could reveal how to win the lottery and lose 10 pounds in the same day that would be an acceptable substitute. :laugh:

mochafreak said:
That's what I was referring to...however, if you could reveal how to win the lottery and lose 10 pounds in the same day that would be an acceptable substitute. :laugh:

I'll post that as soon as i get my mind together.

In the meanwhile i should remind you that you already won the lottery twice!!

1: on your wedding day
2: on Dec 1, 2005

how much $$ would you exchange those moments for??

Comet208 said:
I'll post that as soon as i get my mind together.

In the meanwhile i should remind you that you already won the lottery twice!!

1: on your wedding day
2: on Dec 1, 2005

how much $$ would you exchange those moments for??

no amount...losing 10 pounds in a day, on the other hand...priceless :laugh:

Don't hold your breath for the fin aid info... we didn't hear back until the week before school and we didn't get our summer money until the 2nd week of school. But it may be different for you guys this year. If you are out of state, be prepared to apply for a private loan (most do it through Sallie Mae) b/c federal loans will not be enough (doesn't even cover your entire tuition). But Paul will fill you in on everything you need to know, it's just a matter of when...

For us, we were required to buy the Dells, even if you have a laptop already. They are strict about it. You can try to twist some arms, but I don't think it will do you any good.

For scrubs, no one wore them until Anatomy lab started (3rd week of school). Most pop. colors are ceil blue, mist green, and navy blue. Here's a good site for them: www.allheart.com If you have old scrubs of a not-so-crazy color (no prints), wear those to anatomy lab b/c they will get juicy/stinky/stained and you're prob. going to want to throw them out in the end. I'd say your good with 3 pairs for 1st year. We have lab classes 3X week. Get more if you don't plan on washing every week.

As for teeth, get a good mix. We used 2 incisors, 1-2 premolars, and a couple of molars, so far. You're golden if you can get like 5 of each of those 3 types. Make sure they don't have caries or restorations (amalgams, composite resin, etc.). Just drop off a jar at an OMFS office and a GP office in May and you'll be fine. If you don't get around to it, no sweat. We all shared, but it's best to have your own.

Enjoy your freedom while you can! :D

Just a warning about AllHeart.com. I used to love them...until my last order which took five weeks to get to me. The scubs were varying shades of ceiling blue (the pants and top didn't match) and the same size pants were different sizes (one too loose and one too tight). The last problem may be a problem with Dickies quality control or it could be AllHeart selling old versions with new.

In any case, I defended them last year on the pre-med boards, but now I completely agree that they suck...order at the risk of having to wash your only pair of scrubs every night for five weeks. :thumbdown:

I am excited to meet you comet! If anyone has good info on purchasing a condo it would be great. My wife and I will be looking in May, is this enough time to find one and get moved in by June? Can't wait to meet everyone and get started. If anyone uses messenger you can contact me by [email protected], my name paul.

IWuvTeef said:
For scrubs, no one wore them until Anatomy lab started (3rd week of school). Most pop. colors are ceil blue, mist green, and navy blue. Here's a good site for them: www.allheart.com If you have old scrubs of a not-so-crazy color (no prints), wear those to anatomy lab b/c they will get juicy/stinky/stained and you're prob. going to want to throw them out in the end. I'd say your good with 3 pairs for 1st year. We have lab classes 3X week. Get more if you don't plan on washing every week.

As for teeth, get a good mix. We used 2 incisors, 1-2 premolars, and a couple of molars, so far. You're golden if you can get like 5 of each of those 3 types. Make sure they don't have caries or restorations (amalgams, composite resin, etc.). Just drop off a jar at an OMFS office and a GP office in May and you'll be fine. If you don't get around to it, no sweat. We all shared, but it's best to have your own.

Enjoy your freedom while you can! :D

So I'm here on the forum to learn, and I have a question that might sound stupid--but here goes. Why would OMFS and GP offices have teeth that do not have caries or restorations?

Also, Wal-Mart has scrubs around $10 each.

mickeyaddi said:
So I'm here on the forum to learn, and I have a question that might sound stupid--but here goes. Why would OMFS and GP offices have teeth that do not have caries or restorations?

I'm not a dental student (yet)....but I think there are two kinds of teeth that would answer your question:

1. Wisdom teeth
2. Teeth lost due to periodontal disease

Any dental students want to enlighten me?

Would any of you be bold enough to post your stats? IU is my state school, so I was just wondering what your grades and DAT looked like. Any interesting extra currics are welcome!

double post...

mickeyaddi said:

Sometimes people have to get teeth pulled out for ortho treatments to lessen crowding in the mouth to allow braces to work the best. Also, teeth are pulled from bone loss due to perio disease.

JLJ and IWuvTeef,

Thanks for the replies. A big "duh" to me--those both make perfect sense...Was I asleep when I posted that? :laugh:

On a different note, I am from Indiana and am applying this year to IUSD. Do either of you have any non-common tips (ones that we might not already find on here) that helped you specifically get into IUSD? Anything you can think of will be valuable to us IUSD wanna-be's. Thanks!!! :D

mickeyaddi said:
JLJ and IWuvTeef,

Thanks for the replies. A big "duh" to me--those both make perfect sense...Was I asleep when I posted that? :laugh:

On a different note, I am from Indiana and am applying this year to IUSD. Do either of you have any non-common tips (ones that we might not already find on here) that helped you specifically get into IUSD? Anything you can think of will be valuable to us IUSD wanna-be's. Thanks!!! :D

Well, this might be common tips, but they bear repeating:

1. APPLY EARLY! This especially goes for IU- last year they filled up all the interview slots for the fall ridiculously fast. I applied last year through AADSAs in the middle of July and got a fall interview by the skin of my teeth (heh). I kid you not when I say that if I had waited another week to apply I probably wouldn't be entering this July.

2, DON'T USE AADSAS LETTER OF REC. SERVICE- Caveat to the first tip. Some people may disagree, but I think it's going to take AADSAS a lot of time to recieve the letters, etc (even if they don't lose anything, needlessly delay, or screw something up- do a SDN search). Your best bet is to give your recommenders addressed and stamped envelopes and have them send the letters directly to the school(s).

That's all I've got. Anybody else?