IV type and infusion rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

europeman

Trauma Surgeon / Intensivist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a reference or know the different flow rates for different sizes/types of IVs?

How much quicker can you slam products through a 14 guage compared to an 18 guage?

Can you slam products quicker through a cordis catheter? I think a cordis is 9 french? but it's longer... so... what's more effective?

Members don't see this ad.

Flow rates by gravity at 1 meter height is printed on all of the needle wrapper. Most manufacturers have it on their websites too.
For example, for BD Angiocath:
14 ga 1.75" = 330 ml/min,
16 ga 1.77" = 205,
16 ga 1.16" = 220,
18 ga 1.16 = 105,
20 ga 1.16" = 60,

These numbers are all for gravity flow, under pressure they will be much more. A "Cordis" introducer comes in different sizes, most are 8.5Fr or 9Fr usually 10cm. 9 French is 11.2 gauge or about 2.3mm internal diameter vs a 14 ga (1.6mm ID). RICs (Rapid Infusion Catheter) is usually a 8.5 French 7cm catheter made for the arms (there's also a Cordis 7cm one). So you can see the difference can be dramatic all based on the Hagen-Poiseuille equation.

What's most important is performance under pressure. A 14 ga catheter can flow about 500 ml/min at around 170mmHg, which isn't bad. At the same pressure a 9 French introducer can do at least 750 ml/min. I've done 1.5 LPM on a 9French introducer during venoveno bypass for liver transplants. Lower pressure is prefered to avoid hemolysis. Nurses in general love to put caps on big IVs, which produce ~30% reduction in flow.

One more thing: peripheral IVs are much more likely to extravasate than a central introducer. Pressurizing a blown peripheral IV is terrible, as I'm sure you've all seen.

Of course, the world's best IV is an arterial cannula in the aorta.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This was great material.

Anyone know the infusion rates of a triple lumen compared to a peripheal catheter? Obviously Triple lumen never appropriate for hemorrage resucitation, but, it's certainly appropriate for fluid resuscitation in sepsis and such, so I'm wondering how it comes to peripheal lines. Both under gravity and under pressure?

This was great material.

Anyone know the infusion rates of a triple lumen compared to a peripheal catheter? Obviously Triple lumen never appropriate for hemorrage resucitation, but, it's certainly appropriate for fluid resuscitation in sepsis and such, so I'm wondering how it comes to peripheal lines. Both under gravity and under pressure?

Never say never.

I like the idea of an IV in the aorta

This was great material.

The box for the triple lumen should have the gauge of the different lumens written on it - I think ours are 16 gauge x1 and 18 gauge x2, and then it's 20-30cm long.