zestdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2008
Status
A few programs scheduled me to meet sub-specialty faculty based on my research interest so that I get to know more about research at the program. I did not specifically request to meet them.

Very often these faculty members are not a part of intern recruitment committees. I have a feeling that my chances to match at a program would be better if I interview with someone who has a say in intern selection.

Opinions?

ProgCoordinator

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
Every interviewer submits an evaluation based on their meeting with each candidate. Even if they're not on the selection committee, their feedback is reviewed and considered. Then, if more information is wanted, the PD will follow-up with him/her.

Sep 26, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I can also imagine that programs do this (and can be an advantage to you) because someone involved in your field of interest is probably better suited to assess and represent you as a research-minded applicant...nevermind give you more individualized information about the program to help you make a decision.

ProgCoordinator

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
I can also imagine that programs do this (and can be an advantage to you) because someone involved in your field of interest is probably better suited to assess and represent you as a research-minded applicant...nevermind give you more individualized information about the program to help you make a decision.
You are absolutely right. :luck:

OP
Z

zestdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2008
Status
Every interviewer submits an evaluation based on their meeting with each candidate. Even if they're not on the selection committee, their feedback is reviewed and considered. Then, if more information is wanted, the PD will follow-up with him/her.
Thanks!

Agree.

I still feel that a selection committee member would be able to vouch for me if I manage to build a rapport rather than someone who will submit evaluation on paper.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I still feel that a selection committee member would be able to vouch for me if I manage to build a rapport rather than someone who will submit evaluation on paper.
How do you know that person isn't on the selection committee? You don't and you won't ever know who exactly is on the committee.

That's why you treat everyone you come across on interview day as if they are on the committee. Security guard, janitor, cafeteria working, CNA, off-service intern, department chair, whoever.

ProgCoordinator

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
That's why you treat everyone you come across on interview day as if they are on the committee. Security guard, janitor, cafeteria working, CNA, off-service intern, department chair, whoever.
Fantastic advice. Anyone who has had a notably positive or negative interaction with a candidate (be it faculty, admin, resident, fellow, et al.) will seek out someone on the committee in order to report it. Usually it's straight to the PD or coordinator.

As an aside: Also bear in mind that there are ears and eyes everywhere. You may be surprised by what we've seen/heard when candidates didn't realize that they weren't alone amongst themselves. Honestly, the vast majority of candidates are great and held in high esteem after their day. Your interests, strengths, and character are duly noted and considered.