I've already graduated, but I have no research and a BS in economics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm825

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to school in DC, and now I am back home in CT. 3.66 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 35 MCAT. I am applying to schools in June.

I am currently unemployed and have been looking for jobs anywhere. I'm in the process of trying to obtain an MCAT/SAT teaching job, but at this point I have a lot of time on my hands.

I currently have no research. I live near a university that I did not attend as an undergraduate (though I did take Gen. Chem. I and II there as a senior in high school). Do you think there is anyway I could get some type of position there even though I'm post-grad? Do you think it is even worth emailing a bunch of professors there saying I'm willing to volunteer in their lab few hours a week? Should I mention anything about medical school? Also, I have a BS in economics (chemistry minor), so is this an exercise in futility?

Members don't see this ad.

Research is optional. Great Ec's can still make you a strong applicant if you don't have research. Are you URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had no research and application went fine. Don't sweat it. You're the applicant you are now. Sell that guy/gal as hard as you can.

Imo you'll get more out of clinical experience than research at this point. Nobody really cares about research until its concluded.

Imo you'll get more out of clinical experience than research at this point. Nobody really cares about research until its concluded.
Getting published on research is what talks anyways.

It is November 2013 and you hope to begin attending medical school in mid-2015. You are unemployed. You live near a university. It would be a good idea to try to get your foot in the door in a lab or other research environment with the hope of eventually being hired (I've seen philosophy majors who landed research lab jobs so undergrad major is no barrier.) You have more than 18 months of potential work experience at stake. Go for it!

Besides contacting professors & offering to volunteer, go through the U's human resources office to look for entry level lab jobs.

Reactions: 1 user
This is excellent advice. I have a colleague and dear friend who got her start by washing glassware and autoclaving bottles. She eventually got her PhD and is now at UC Davis.

Besides contacting professors & offering to volunteer, go through the U's human resources office to look for entry level lab jobs.[/quote]

I went to school in DC, and now I am back home in CT. 3.66 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 35 MCAT. I am applying to schools in June.

I am currently unemployed and have been looking for jobs anywhere. I'm in the process of trying to obtain an MCAT/SAT teaching job, but at this point I have a lot of time on my hands.

I currently have no research. I live near a university that I did not attend as an undergraduate (though I did take Gen. Chem. I and II there as a senior in high school). Do you think there is anyway I could get some type of position there even though I'm post-grad? Do you think it is even worth emailing a bunch of professors there saying I'm willing to volunteer in their lab few hours a week? Should I mention anything about medical school? Also, I have a BS in economics (chemistry minor), so is this an exercise in futility?

Hey OP, I would highly recommend what you suggest in the first bolded sentence but not necessarily what you suggest in the second. In my (very limited) experience, many PI's are receptive to motivated students who want to learn. If you don't have any lab skills going into a position you will likely not be able to get paid right away, but after you can do things on your own and become an asset to the lab you may be able get a paid position.

While I wouldn't recommend hiding the fact that you want to attend medical school from those you contact, I wouldn't lead with it. At my institution at least, there is a perception that pre-meds only apply to labs to check a box off of their list. If you lead with the fact that you are a pre-med some PI's may view your application in a more negative light.